Cruises to Cuba

I’m sure someone may have asked this, but I see cruises to Cuba still being listed. I thought I read somewhere that all cruise ships were no longer calling on Cuba. I’d really like to book one, but if Cuba is cancelled, I’d rather not book it, as that is the port I’m interested in seeing. I do know that Carnival has the right to cancel any port for any reason, but since I’d book this cruise for the sole purpose of going to Cuba, I just want to verify that ships are not being banned from there.

I'm just back from a MSC Armonia sailing that had an overnight Saturday night in Havana.  I would go back tomorrow if I could!  MSC was less expensive than the other cruiselines, lovely old (small) ship.  Love the international flavor of MSC.

I was afraid the current administration would reinstate the Cuba travel limitations, so I went as soon as I was able to schedule the time off from work.

OP, my thinking is that I would go ahead and book, but purchase "cancel for any reason" trip insurance.  That way, if they do slam shut this current travel window, you'll have a out.

What I'm hoping is that even if they do ban travel again, that if/when the other party is in office, that they'll reopen the window.

I'm just so glad I went!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We leave tomorrow on a cruise to Cuba on the Paradise.

So far no changes have actually been made.  I know the past is no guarantee for the future, but all other such travel sanctions in the past have been put in place with a date in the future, permitting already booked travel to take place.  It might be wise to book while it is available and keep an eye on things until final payment date.  I wouldn't lock myself in and book and ES fare for a cruise to Cuba.

In the event the gov't does go back to restricting cruises to Cuba, I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival doesn't allow some type of flexible cancellation policy or ability to change to another cruise for those affected. Again, technically, they don't have to do this as port calls can be cancelled or changed without any reason or notice. But this would be a pretty big deal...and many/most people book these cruises specifically to see Cuba (I know that's why my hubby and I booked our Paradise cruise for last month). Carnival does tend to do the right thing in most situations and I have a hard time seeing them not stepping up in a case like this. But again - they certainly don't have to. 

Hopefully it won't come to this though and cruises to Cuba can continue. It is a beautiful country with people who depend on our tourism for their livelihoods. I would love to go back! 

Still nothing about an implementation date on the US Dept. of State website. I contacted our FL Senator Marco Rubio and asked for a date and the response I received was his typical one to any of my questions - nothing substantial. He gave some song and dance about Venezuela,, Russia, and why we have to do it. We have another Cuba cruise (first one last year on the Paradise) with two Cuba stops on Holland America for late Oct. and so far nothing from HAL either. I suspect just some more hot nothing from he who won't be named.

• Like 1

I am booked on the Sunrise to Cuba in March 2020.  There were five (!) price drops between January and April, but none since the announcement of travel limitations.  I thought bookings to Cuba would slow down until details were ironed out, but that is not reflected in the price of the cruise I have booked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:37 AM, MistyRo76 said:

Hopefully it won't come to this though and cruises to Cuba can continue. It is a beautiful country with people who depend on our tourism for their livelihoods. I would love to go back! 

Isn’t that pretty much the entire Caribbean? 

• Like 1

We booked Cuba on Carnival a year ago and were going to sail in September.

If not for Havana I really had no interest in that cruise itinerary.  Has anyone pushed Carnival for options now that they are changing ports of call?  We booked this one direct so we don't have an agent to go to bat for us and get some kind of compensation.

2 minutes ago, davelinde said:

We booked Cuba on Carnival a year ago and were going to sail in September.

If not for Havana I really had no interest in that cruise itinerary.  Has anyone pushed Carnival for options now that they are changing ports of call?  We booked this one direct so we don't have an agent to go to bat for us and get some kind of compensation.

How does Carnival know you only booked this cruise for Cuba? For all they know, you may have reserved it for the ship and are using this as an excuse to try and get a cancellation waiver. This is beyond the cruise line’s control and the cruise ticket contract allows them to substitute any port for any reason.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

How does Carnival know you only booked this cruise for Cuba? For all they know, you may have reserved it for the ship and are using this as an excuse to try and get a cancellation waiver. This is beyond the cruise line’s control and the cruise ticket contract allows them to substitute any port for any reason.

I don't really care what Carnival knows or that this is out of their control and I am well aware they can change ports or even skip a port altogether while en route and simply stay at sea.    I've been on cruises that have done all kinds of things - sometimes they offer compensation, sometimes they don't, sometimes there is compensation if you ask the right person in the right way.   Just looking to see what anyone knows here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davelinde said:

I don't really care what Carnival knows or that this is out of their control and I am well aware they can change ports or even skip a port altogether while en route and simply stay at sea.    I've been on cruises that have done all kinds of things - sometimes they offer compensation, sometimes they don't, sometimes there is compensation if you ask the right person in the right way.   Just looking to see what anyone knows here.

Maybe I'm in the minority but if I was ever to be given a gesture of goodwill by someone at a cruise line, hotel or airline, the last thing I would do is brag about it on a message board and try to make life difficult for the poor agents fielding phone calls of people angry and seeking the same compensation because one person received it.

Why should someone need to talk to the right person in the right way? Wouldn't you want the employees of whatever company you are patronizing to be empowered to make decisions and if necessary, provide an immediate service recovery to ensure total guest service satisfaction? A consistent experience should be had by all.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I've never had a desire to go, so this doesn't really effect me.  I heard that you have to pay an extra fee just to get off the ship in Cuba.  Is that true?

75$ Visa per person

Since this is first thread please post regarding new cruise ban to Cuba  of June 4 on this thread!!

******No political posts please*******

You guys are resourceful and if you want to discuss the current administration or Cuban regime I am sure you can find a forum to do that.  This forum is CRUISING and as you can see posts not related to such have gone with the wind

Thank you! New threads will be locked. And play nice please..a very hot topic

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1