First day-MDR-dress?

12 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I’m confused by the “no sandals”. I see “flip-flops” on the not-allowed list, but nothing about sandals.

Because sandals are ok to wear in the MDR in the evening any evening. 

• Like 3

WrittenOnYourHeart, I've worn sandals, on almost every night of every warm weather cruise over many years without anyone ever questioning my shoe selection. Some of those might even be classed as "flip-flops," technically, but weren't the drug store variety, but high end leather thong type sandals as well, again, no problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

WrittenOnYourHeart, I've worn sandals, on almost every night of every warm weather cruise over many years without anyone ever questioning my shoe selection. Some of those might even be classed as "flip-flops," technically, but weren't the drug store variety, but high end leather thong type sandals as well, again, no problems.

Thank you! I was getting confused seeing people lumping sandals in the “scandalous” attire for the dining rooms.

4 hours ago, Dom G said:

I’ve seen people wear Bermuda shorts in Capital Grille before.  

I have NO problem wearing pants to dinner. What I don’t get is some people’s obsession with what others are wearing. MYOB and enjoy your vacation. If you want to wear a tuxedo every night, enjoy. If you want to wear Bermuda shorts and a polo, knock your socks off. Both have 0 impact on my enjoyment of the evening. 

I couldn't care less what others wear, either. I'm happy we no longer have to pack formal wear. But when someone asks if shorts are allowed in the MDR, it's misleading to say they are. If someone packs only shorts for pants,  they are going to be embarrassed/disappointed/angry when they are not allowed in the MDR after 6 p.m. 

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I tend to agree with you about the shorts and this thread sort of welcomes people to get over.  On our first cruise I wore shorts and our luggage did not come and we went to dining room.  This was in the 90s when Celebrity actually had and enforced a dress code.  We were allowed in but every cruise after that I put clothes in my carry on to cover the first night.  This is really on Celebrity, they allow people in because in reality not everyone does get their luggage but this thread just takes advantage of that, remember the dress code for every night is still no shorts. 

I understand the issue when luggage does not arrive. I'm fine with that. It's those who choose to dress like a slob & I'm sorry, but yes it does affect my cruise. If I wanted to dress like I'm in a clam shack I'd dress for it, but not when I'm dining in what is supposed to be a nice rest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dom G said:

I’ve seen people wear Bermuda shorts in Capital Grille before.  

I have NO problem wearing pants to dinner. What I don’t get is some people’s obsession with what others are wearing. MYOB and enjoy your vacation. If you want to wear a tuxedo every night, enjoy. If you want to wear Bermuda shorts and a polo, knock your socks off. Both have 0 impact on my enjoyment of the evening. 

Well good for you! I understand the luggage issue. I'm not talking formal wear. I'm talking following what the code says. Sorry, but dining in a room full of pax that look like they got off a Shrimp boat, doesn't help the ambience. It's those pax, who feel it's their damn right to dress as low as can be. If  this downslide continues unabated, eventually it will take on the appearance of a trailer trash jamboree. Would you be happy with that?

46 minutes ago, keithm said:

I understand the issue when luggage does not arrive. I'm fine with that. It's those who choose to dress like a slob & I'm sorry, but yes it does affect my cruise. If I wanted to dress like I'm in a clam shack I'd dress for it, but not when I'm dining in what is supposed to be a nice rest.

The OP asked about the first day/ night in MDR.   Not nightly.   You and I know what the dress code is for most cruise lines.   And it’s usually posted near the dining room.  And in the daily  delivered to each stateroom.  Some PAXs either don’t read or choose to ignore.

Regarding the dress policy in general,  and this thread has morphed into, whether you or I approve or not what PAXs wear to dinner in the MDR for the remainder of the cruise,  it is still the Maitre D that decides who he lets in to the MDR.   But if it offends PAXs how others are dressed, feel free to complain to the Maitre D.   See if you get any traction.

FWIW, on a recent Caribbean cruise with Celebrity,  there was a 8 top near my table, with some rowdy guys (Europeans? ) loud mouths, and drinking too much beer,  who wore  shorts and sandals every night of the cruise.  Sometimes with collared shirts, sometimes with Tee shirts.   And the Maitre D even made friendly conversation with them nightly.   Go figure.

BTW, you would want to stay clear of these guys, they looked like rugby or football players and would probably knock you out if you directly confronted them about the way they were dressed.   JMO.

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.   I always do.  And I can’t be bothered what others wear .   I’m too busy enjoying my meal.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

14 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

The OP asked about the first night.   Not nightly.   You and I know what the dress code is for most cruise lines.   And it’s usually posted near the dining room.  And in the daily  delivered to each stateroom.  Some PAXs either don’t read or choose to ignore.

Regarding the dress policy in general,  and this thread has morphed into, whether you or I approve or not what PAXs wear to dinner in the MDR for the remainder of the cruise,  it is still the Maitre D that decides who he lets in to the MDR.   But if it offends PAXs how others are dressed, feel free to complain to the Maitre D.   See if you get any traction.

FWIW, on a recent Caribbean cruise with Celebrity,  there was a 8 top near my table, with some rowdy guys (Europeans? ) loud mouths, and drinking too much beer,  who wore  shorts and sandals every night of the cruise.  Sometimes with collared shirts, sometimes with Tee shirts.   And the Maitre D even made friendly conversation with them nightly.   Go figure.

BTW, you would want to stay clear of these guys, they looked like rugby or football players and would probably knock you out if you directly confronted them about the way they were dressed.   JMO.

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.

I've found that a real complaint to the Maître D works fairly often. If they refuse to do anything(and some have) I then tell them I'm going to the "hotel director" with my complaint. I find this usually gets them to take reasonable action. Really doesn't matter now anyway. Our 14 night cruise got cancelled(Silhouette Jan.31 trip)I find the alternatives not to our liking. So I told my T/A to just have it refunded back to me. Looking to the MSC Seaside & a Yacht Club suite or going back to Oceania.

Edited by keithm
additions

20 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

The OP asked about the first day/ night in MDR.   Not nightly.   You and I know what the dress code is for most cruise lines.   And it’s usually posted near the dining room.  And in the daily  delivered to each stateroom.  Some PAXs either don’t read or choose to ignore.

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.   I always do.  And I can’t be bothered what others wear .   I’m too busy enjoying my meal.

I get that shorts are not allowed. But there is nothing in the code prohibiting sandals. It is posts like this lumping allowed things with not allowed that add to confusion.

38 minutes ago, keithm said:

I've found that a real complaint to the Maître D works fairly often. If they refuse to do anything(and some have) I then tell them I'm going to the "hotel director" with my complaint. I find this usually gets them to take reasonable action. Really doesn't matter now anyway. Our 14 night cruise got cancelled(Silhouette Jan.31 trip)I find the alternatives not to our liking. So I told my T/A to just have it refunded back to me. Looking to the MSC Seaside & a Yacht Club suite or going back to Oceania.

Kick and scream all you want, but the Maitre D  isn't going to entertain your complaint on the first evening. I have to believe you realize that. We've been on cruises and have seen the MD stop those wearing shorts trying to enter the MDR on the following evenings and turn them around. Kudos to the staff.

We had a lady on the second leg of our 2018 Eclipse cruise advise (:classic_rolleyes:) my wife and I (while we were waiting to enter the MDR on casual evening) that we didn't have to be dresses formally as it was casual evening. I said, no you don't say!! And I then advised her Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. We walked away shaking our heads. We had our reasons why we elected to dress formally that evening. 

2 hours ago, keithm said:

Well good for you! I understand the luggage issue. I'm not talking formal wear. I'm talking following what the code says. Sorry, but dining in a room full of pax that look like they got off a Shrimp boat, doesn't help the ambience. It's those pax, who feel it's their damn right to dress as low as can be. If  this downslide continues unabated, eventually it will take on the appearance of a trailer trash jamboree. Would you be happy with that?

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest. All I’m bothered about is the food and the company I’m with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest. All I’m bothered about is the food and the company I’m with. 

Hate saying it, but the food quality is going downhill pretty fast as well.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Kick and scream all you want, but the Maitre D  isn't going to entertain your complaint on the first evening. I have to believe you realize that. We've been on cruises and have seen the MD stop those wearing shorts trying to enter the MDR on the following evenings and turn them around. Kudos to the staff.

We had a lady on the second leg of our 2018 Eclipse cruise advise (:classic_rolleyes:) my wife and I (while we were waiting to enter the MDR on casual evening) that we didn't have to be dresses formally as it was casual evening. I said, no you don't say!! And I then advised her Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. We walked away shaking our heads. We had our reasons why we elected to dress formally that evening. 

You guys know I understand first night issues. I'm talking about the rest of the cruise. There are those who like to test the staff's resolve. As more & more try their damndest to skirt even the most basic, it just starts to diminish the ambience of the trip.

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I get that shorts are not allowed. But there is nothing in the code prohibiting sandals. It is posts like this lumping allowed things with not allowed that add to confusion.

I apologize, I was one of the posters who mentioned sandals, bundling them in with shorts as too casual for the MDR. I was thinking of flip flops, very casual footwear often worn with shorts or on the beach. There are of course many sandals that are less casual but  very appropriate for a smart casual evening, especially in the Caribbean. 

I do continue to say that the OP would be in the minority if he/she arrived at the MDR in shorts, on the first or any other evening. Whether such attire should be allowed is a separate question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cynbar said:

I apologize, I was one of the posters who mentioned sandals, bundling them in with shorts as too casual for the MDR. I was thinking of flip flops, very casual footwear often worn with shorts or on the beach. There are of course many sandals that are less casual but  very appropriate for a smart casual evening, especially in the Caribbean. 

I do continue to say that the OP would be in the minority if he/she arrived at the MDR in shorts, on the first or any other evening. Whether such attire should be allowed is a separate question.

Thanks! I would never wear flip flops to the dining room. 🙂

While I do bring dresses or skirts or nice jeans with nice tops for dinners, I do not wear skirts or dresses every day. Just not me. So if I do check a bag (I usually carry on), I will make sure to put something nicer in my carry on. I am still deciding if I am going to keep my cruise in Feb as from a lot of reports I have read I am afraid that my whole vibe is too casual for Celebrity as my day-wear on cruises - especially in the Caribbean - tends to be shorts or yoga capris with tees or tanks. Changing to dressier for dinner and then often back to casual.

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks! I would never wear flip flops to the dining room. 🙂

While I do bring dresses or skirts or nice jeans with nice tops for dinners, I do not wear skirts or dresses every day. Just not me. So if I do check a bag (I usually carry on), I will make sure to put something nicer in my carry on. I am still deciding if I am going to keep my cruise in Feb as from a lot of reports I have read I am afraid that my whole vibe is too casual for Celebrity as my day-wear on cruises - especially in the Caribbean - tends to be shorts or yoga capris with tees or tanks. Changing to dressier for dinner and then often back to casual.

Your attire sounds fine to me. Celebrity is a whole lot more casual overall than it used to be, so don't let that put you off. I think the biggest thing to be aware of is that passengers "clean up" a little for the evenings, you won't see people in the DRs wearing what they wore all day, like you would on NCL. But it doesn't have to be fancy --- capris, jeans with a nice top and dressy sandals are all just fine. No more formal nights, generally the ambiance is a little dressier for Evening Chic nights but I've noticed many passengers dressing smart casual even then. Daytimes, pretty much everyone will be in shorts or yoga pants with tees, and you can go to the MDR like that for breakfast and lunch. So, don't stress out about the dress code, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cynbar said:

Your attire sounds fine to me. Celebrity is a whole lot more casual overall than it used to be, so don't let that put you off. I think the biggest thing to be aware of is that passengers "clean up" a little for the evenings, you won't see people in the DRs wearing what they wore all day, like you would on NCL. But it doesn't have to be fancy --- capris, jeans with a nice top and dressy sandals are all just fine. No more formal nights, generally the ambiance is a little dressier for Evening Chic nights but I've noticed many passengers dressing smart casual even then. Daytimes, pretty much everyone will be in shorts or yoga pants with tees, and you can go to the MDR like that for breakfast and lunch. So, don't stress out about the dress code, you'll be fine.

Thank you!! I have not cruised NCL - usually Disney. But I definitely change/clean up from day. (My one exception was on RCCL this past summer in Greece. Santorini day, the MDR was open seating and “come as you are” for those not eating on the island. I stopped by to just cancel my pre-order (gluten-free) because I was hot and tired and sweaty, but the host said “Not to worry! Come on!” I felt better that I was not the only one in “just back on board” attire, but I still wish I had just gone to the buffet.

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Sandals are allowed. I wear sandals every night. No one has ever said a word. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, keithm said:

You guys know I understand first night issues. I'm talking about the rest of the cruise. There are those who like to test the staff's resolve. As more & more try their damndest to skirt even the most basic, it just starts to diminish the ambience of the trip.

But this thread is only concerning the evening of embarkation. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

No confusion.  No one is going to care if you wear sandals.  Men or women.  Every evening if that’s your pleasure.   Period.   Much ado about nothing, really.

The original post was about first day/evening.   Why do posters read more into it?

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you! I was getting confused seeing people lumping sandals in the “scandalous” attire for the dining rooms.

Re:  I was getting confused seeing people lumping sandals in the “scandalous”attire for the dining rooms?

People here on CC tend to conflate first night dress with the expected dress code for a cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1