Entertainment: what he heck happened?

3 hours ago, wripro said:

The "best" show anyone has ever seen on a cruise ship is still second rate entertainment. Let's face it, unless they're booking a particular star, entertainers who do cruise ships are those who have not or cannot make it in more important venues. 

I respectfully disagree.  I have often been amazed at the level of talent that I have seen on cruise ships, there have been many that I would pay to see.

On one cruise we had a Q and A session with the entertainment staff, and they went through the audition process, the competition for these positions is fierce, there are tons of contestants vying for these slots, a very select few make the grade.

53 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

On the other hand, the good old "Spontaneous Duo" has been memorable on several cruises--do not like them at all.

This is the duo that I referred to in an earlier post as my very favorite lounge performers.

As I said, different strokes.

Okay I will put my two cents in, for what its worth.  We sailed on the Tokyo-Tokyo cruise in April and the cast of the shows were all new  not only Regent but new to cruising as well, we spoke to several of the entertainers and most had hoped that they would “get on one of the big ships”  like the Bliss/Joy etc.  NCL now has their own production company and train for all the shows in Los Angeles or Miami (not sure which) Keeping in mind most of the entertainers are very young and not very experienced, I was embarrassed for some of them after reading their autobiographies they had no prior experienced and it showed on stage.

However in December we sailed on the Voyager and the entertainment was great in fact we stayed through most of the shows.

To the OP, I agree about Nick we often thought about taking one of the pillows and putting it under his left foot!

Sometimes really good performers sound less than wonderful due to the sound level.  We used to love Nature's Rhythm - they have been with Regent for many years.  However, hearing them blasting their music on both Explorer and Voyager, we will no longer go to a lounge if they are playing.  Such a shame - they are so talented!

I commented on this matter some time ago, on a Thread now far, far away (possibly had to do with Cruise Directors) as to how a CD can alter, within limits, the onboard entertainment experience based on passenger on-the-spot feedback.

Consistency as to a performance level is difficult to maintain across the Fleet.  Fortunately, there have been more hits than misses when attending shows on all four current Regent ships over the past many years.  And yes, we have made our great escape on more than one occasion when either the sound level and/or the voices just did not mesh. 

But, back to the present.  CD Ray Solaire aboard Navigator, June, 2018 L.A. Panama Canal crossing to NYC. 

Of course, a CD cannot "gin up" a new production while at sea; but a guy or gal on their game can respond around the edges to enhance the musical experience to fill in the gaps.  Restriction include Contract parameters  as to how many hours a particular performer (whether singer or instrumentalist) can perform per week, as Ray pointed out. 

Our experience regarded piano performers, which included the Band Leader and the pianist who normally performed in the Lounge.  Both were trained in classical piano (believe in Ukraine).  The Band guy played one afternoon, early-on, at Tea Time.  All gentle background classics--Brahms, Debussy, Faure', Chopin.  As I used to play some of those selections while courting my wife (50 years' ago), noted each note.  Went to Ray.  Asked what were the possibilities of giving this guy a wider venue--like the Theater.  He worked on it.  He also noted that the next afternoon--at Tea Time, the "audience" had increased and was clustered around the piano waiting for the next "performance".   

So--about three nights later, Ray announced a pre-dinner mini-concert by our Band guy in the Theater.  1/2 hour of classical gems.  A bit-more dramatic selections, including Grieg, and ending with a Schubert Impromptu.  Brought the house down.  Tea times were very-well attended throughout the rest of the cruise, as one pianist, or the other, delighted cruisers "hungry" for classical music.   This quick response to customers' requests was, of course, duly noted on Evaluations. 

One other point on that Cruise.  One of the male lead singers performed with our daughter some years ago in Chicago musical theater productions.  Of course, he had a great voice.  Linked up with him, and had dinner with him and the lead female singer later in the cruise.  True professionals, with credentials both academic and performance-wise.  The productions were, of course, cut from the same "Broadway Highlights" cloth.  But, given the limitations of stage size and back-up Band, the "kids" under the spotlight performed at a high level.  And--the Band did NOT drown out the singers, as is often the situation. 

As with other aspects of a cruise experience:  there are things that can be changed en route; and things that cannot be changed.  A prudent request to the CD as to the possibilities of making a changeable change in entertainment--or at least to tone down the Band's volume--can result in an enhanced overall experience. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

GOARMY - previous requests to turn down the volume have not been successful.  We were told that the entertainers were asked to turn it down - they did until the CD left and turned it up again.  Perhaps the CD needs to be more forceful.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

GOARMY - previous requests to turn down the volume have not been successful.  We were told that the entertainers were asked to turn it down - they did until the CD left and turned it up again.  Perhaps the CD needs to be more forceful.

Maybe forceful isn't the word, the DC should be doing their job-if they are supposed supervise these entertainers, that is what they should be doing.  I really don't recall seeing the CD in the lounges pre-dinner.

16 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Maybe forceful isn't the word, the DC should be doing their job-if they are supposed supervise these entertainers, that is what they should be doing.  I really don't recall seeing the CD in the lounges pre-dinner.

Good point and I agree!

I've complained about the sound level to Regent CD, on comment cards and directly to entertainers, e.g., the amplified piano in the lounge.  The volume seemed unchanged on the Explorer last fall despite my comments.  I wonder to what extent some of the entertainers have hearing loss from the exposure to high decibel sound levels and don't realize how loud the music seems to others.

I do wonder if some Regent guests like the high volume or at least are not bothered by it as there don't seem to be many complaints on CC about this. 

It is a fact that people exposed to loud sounds - whether it be music, gun shots/bombs, etc. have hearing loss.  And, the more their hearing is affected, the louder the music they require.   I'm expecting to see a whole new generation of advanced hearing aid devices to accommodate the generation that is exposing themselves to loud music.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the new devices as my DH has hearing issues (from the war) and is not happy with current devices.  I, on the other hand, loved rock and roll music growing up but did not play it loudly (my parents would not allow it).  So, while he cannot hear well, I can hear his conversations on the telephone across the house (or conversations on the ship from nearby tables) with ease.  He tells me that I have "stealth hearing".  

So, Regent, for the health and welfare of your passengers, please lower the volume of the music. 

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

And, the more their hearing is affected, the louder the music they require

Travelcat2, actually the reverse is often true as I discovered when my hearing started failing. I have to have music much lower in volume now or it causes pain.

A quote "People with noise induced hearing loss often have a reduced tolerance to loud sound in the same frequency range (sensitivity to sound)"

http://www.hpaudiological.com/office/services/hearingLoss/typesofLoss

For me I avoid all the entertainment onboard except a few minutes of cassical guitar when avalable. The volume in general is unbearable to me.

We were on a TA with Ray Solaire in 2010 and his one man show was incredible!  He is an amazing entertainer...

But for the rest - I hate loud anything.  Gave up going to the cinema more than 30 years ago because of the noise level.   If a band or other music is loud - I leave...  I do not understand the appeal of the decibel!

6 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

Travelcat2, actually the reverse is often true as I discovered when my hearing started failing. I have to have music much lower in volume now or it causes pain.

A quote "People with noise induced hearing loss often have a reduced tolerance to loud sound in the same frequency range (sensitivity to sound)"

http://www.hpaudiological.com/office/services/hearingLoss/typesofLoss

For me I avoid all the entertainment onboard except a few minutes of cassical guitar when avalable. The volume in general is unbearable to me.

I suspect that your hearing loss is similar to my DH's.  Some levels of sound hurt his ears.  I'm still trying to learn to speak at the level that is easy on his ears and that he can also hear.  Not an easy thing.

More information about hearing loss and music and addresses the decibel level that one should not exceed.  http://www.healthadel.com/can-loud-music-lead-to-hearing-loss/ 

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is a fact that people exposed to loud sounds - whether it be music, gun shots/bombs, etc. have hearing loss.  And, the more their hearing is affected, the louder the music they require.   I'm expecting to see a whole new generation of advanced hearing aid devices to accommodate the generation that is exposing themselves to loud music.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the new devices as my DH has hearing issues (from the war) and is not happy with current devices.  I, on the other hand, loved rock and roll music growing up but did not play it loudly (my parents would not allow it).  So, while he cannot hear well, I can hear his conversations on the telephone across the house (or conversations on the ship from nearby tables) with ease.  He tells me that I have "stealth hearing".  

So, Regent, for the health and welfare of your passengers, please lower the volume of the music. 

Jackie:

The new hearing aids are so much more improved than the models that came out even a couple of years ago - my Mom has worn hearing aids for more than 40 years so we have lived through the progression and changes. A few months ago she received a new pair (and was one of the first patients in the US to do so) and we refer to them as bionic hearing aids due to the functions and ability to adjust as necessary and the marked improvement in her hearing capacity. Her favorite feature is when we are in a crowded noisy area, such as a restaurant, she can adjust them to completely eliminate the background noise and hear only the conversation at the table. Her previous pair had this capability but it works so -  so, with the new hearing aids she can easily follow all conversations, no matter the surrounding noise. Without her hearing aids she is completely deaf and cannot even hear the fire alarm when it goes off 🙁

While every patient is different, you might want to take Dennis to an experienced audiologist who keeps up to date with the latest technology and has access to hearing aids from a large number of manufacturers, including international. The hearing aids are adjusted via bluetooth/computer and it took four sessions to get everything "perfect", but it was worth it due to the improvement in her quality of life. She had purchased new hearing aids only two years previously and the level of enhancements/improvements in such a short period of time is amazing.

However, just one word of caution - all this new technology does not come cheap but the improvement in quality of life is priceless.

gnome

Amplified piano in the lounge?  That alarms me.  I'm used to a grand piano in many lounges (The Observation Lounge on Mariner comes to mind).  Yes, the smaller lounges often have a duo with an electronic piano, that's different, but that's not a real lounge pianist situation.

I have much trouble now hearing conversations in noisy rooms, or if people mumble, and it's mostly attributable to all the loud rock music I listened to over the years.  According to recent tests, it's not risen to the level of hearing aids.  Yet.

I was recently at some gig in some bar where people got up to dance, and I was disheartened to see a young woman dancing with her baby, right in front of the band, but then I noticed that the child was wearing ear plugs.  Good on her.

Our experiences with the entertainment on Regent have been hit-and-miss.  Usually fair to pretty good, occasionally excellent, rarely superb, and at times terrible.  We've encountered some shows that we should have walked out on but didn't.

My wife grew up watching shows on Broadway so she's a bit more discerning than I.  We also have the Broadway Season traveling series tickets at our home venue so we get to see some amazing shows - and even the worst of these was better than the best shows we've see on board Regent.  I just don't see how they can compare, really - and I try and keep that in mind when we're on board.

I'll admit that we've gone to fewer shows on our last few cruises just because they're feeling kind of 'tired'.

But we NEVER miss Krew Kapers.  Always try and get a front-row seat!

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Our experiences with the entertainment on Regent have been hit-and-miss.  Usually fair to pretty good, occasionally excellent, rarely superb, and at times terrible.  We've encountered some shows that we should have walked out on but didn't.

My wife grew up watching shows on Broadway so she's a bit more discerning than I.  We also have the Broadway Season traveling series tickets at our home venue so we get to see some amazing shows - and even the worst of these was better than the best shows we've see on board Regent.  I just don't see how they can compare, really - and I try and keep that in mind when we're on board.

I'll admit that we've gone to fewer shows on our last few cruises just because they're feeling kind of 'tired'.

But we NEVER miss Krew Kapers.  Always try and get a front-row seat!

Like we've said nobody expects Broadway, no one expects great--but until Regent gets a new management team for entertainment is what it is and won't get better.  Even as people say we don't cruise for entertainment, look how many people are commenting and what they are saying----people do care and want to see enjoyable, decent entertainment on Regents ships.

• Like 2

On our last Regent cruise (Voyager, earlier this year), I suggested in our 'end of cruise' comments that they scale by the ambitiousness of the production shows, and focus on lining up better singing talent.  Some of the singers on that Voyager sailing were just flat-out bad.

Early last year we tried Viking Ocean, primarily because of the unique itinerary which included a couple of North African ports...  plus we just wanted to experience for ourselves the 'hype' about VO.   Viking gets a lot of things right, and one thing IMO is their entertainment.  On our B2B, they had a group of four singer/dancers.  The production values of their revues were simple, but the singers were strong, on-note and very talented.  We likely won't be returning to VO for other reasons, but their entertainment was perfect for that size of ship, and audience.

IMO, there is a difference between the shows in the theater and the entertainment in the lounges.  The shows in the theater are for an audience sitting in the theater to watch the show.  I don't believe many passengers go to a show in the theater to converse with fellow passengers.  Therefore, I am more tolerant of the sound being a bit loud. 

The entertainment in the lounges, on the other hand, is generally background for those who are in the lounges to enjoy a drink and conversation with other passengers (still only IMO).  For that reason, I strongly believe this background music should be much quieter so that those conversations can be heard, even by passengers with difficulty hearing.  Those passengers who prefer to listen to the lounge entertainment in lieu of conversation can sit closer to the performer.  When the music in the lounges is too loud, the passengers talk more loudly in an effort to be heard by their companions, resulting in an uncomfortable and less enjoyable experience.  (once again, IMO). 

• Like 1

ROLLTIDE2 - Agree pretty much with what you said but learned a lot from Jonoro7's post.  (this quote in particular "People with noise induced hearing loss often have a reduced tolerance to loud sound in the same frequency range (sensitivity to sound)". 

So, due to this sensitivity, loud music anywhere can be actually painful.  I suspect that as more and more people are affected by noise induced hearing loss, the more they will request music (and sound in movie theaters) be lowered to a safe decibel level.   

Having just returned from an Explorer cruise I can tell you that the new production cast provide top class entertainment.  They joined the ship the same  day as us, in Venice, and we saw them perform 6 times in 20 days.  2 of the new shows, "World Rhythyms" and "Paradis" are spectacular and the singers and dancers are all exceptionally talented, (some more than others of course). Overall, I would say they were, by far, the best on board production cast we've seen in 25 years and about 16 cruises.  Didn't care for the 60's "My Revolution" show - that had too much dialogue, some obscure song choices and not enough iconic 60's hits for me. We, and several others we spoke to, just expected more from that show. It is technicaly superb but just lacks something extra.

We also had David Nevin as ACD, he puts on a great show too, we went to it twice!  The rest of the entertainment varied but there was tremendous variety and there were some really good visiting acts - notably a violinist, a magician and a comedian who were all worth going to see.

Around the ship varied greatly but Ross Ranallo was in the Obs lounge, 3rd time in 4 cruises for us, and he is brilliant.  We did miss Nature's Rhythym - who we have seen on 2 previous cruises, there is simply nothing to compare with them for sheer fun, entertainment and musical variety and the other lounges were virtually empty every time we went past tbh. The orchestra often appeared in the Meridian lounge for dancing, (not for us!) and we had a duo, who were capable but lacked charisma and never seemed to attract a big crowd, ok for 20/30 mins but that was it really.

Generally, we quite like Regent entertainment despite the reputation that smaller ships have for such things - there is a choice of venues, there is variety on offer and there are some excellent performers - on a moving ship.  I'm ok with all of that. No real complaints other than whoever designed the Explorer Lounge must have been blindfolded at the time - that room is a disaster from start to finish. 

Overall

Ready to put in my 2 cents. I have found that the pre-dinner music in the lounges is more background and that after dinner/ after show it gets more robust and louder. The cast on our last cruise, voyager in March/april was less than stellar their singing voices were pretty flat. But we were on navigator in August and then again in December and those casts were great. some of the add on entertainment is great singers comedians, magicians, musicians and some are awful. Have found this is true on all ships and sometimes it is just ones opinion. my biggest complaint about the production shows is that they don't change often enough. Was on the navigator twice in 3 months and there were the same shows and then on voyager 3 were repeats. I guess I was just cruising too often. Not on Regent again until March 2020. Hopefully the shows will be new.

22 hours ago, Pies4u said:

Ross Ranallo was in the Obs lounge, 3rd time in 4 cruises for us, and he is brilliant.

Lucky you, I love Ross.  Just had him for one 18-day on Mariner.  Hope he moves around among the ships--hoping to get him for our WC in 2021.

• Thanks 1