Magnetic Hooks

KBYUCougar

2 hours ago, Tim,n,Sue said:

Wow Carol.  We always take magnets for our Cruise Compasses, invites etc but the hooks are brilliant.  Just ordered a set of ten 25lb hooks from Amazon. 

Not my photo, Tim.  I have one wall  of just paper;  I never got the hooks.  But that picture is on my other computer.  I just pulled this one off the internet.  😄  

Although this link has already been posted, I thought that I would post my approval.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G96LB6U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tea lights links.  We may buy some.  DW says no to tea lights--1 more thing to pack.. We already bring magnetic hooks and clips.

Clips link    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722PM4ZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom

Edited by Tom47

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have never had to use it, but I ALWAYS take a small powerful flashlight that sits in the bedside drawer.

So you must not be cruising on Oasis or Quantum class (no nightstand drawers).

Not really on topic but ....  We always take the following with us which we pack in a waist pack and leave in the safe.

A USB memory stick with all of our meds, including dosages, passport info photos, emergency contact info, a small but powerful flashlight, at least 3 days of meds, Consulate or  Embassy info for each country we are visiting, as well as our original passports and cash.  We leave it in the safe in case of an emergency so we grab and go.

26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not my photo, Tim.  I have one wall  of just paper;  I never got the hooks.  But that picture is on my other computer.  I just pulled this one off the internet.  😄  

Oh well but still a good post as it shows what the hooks can be used for.  You can also hang up the robes so that we do not take up room or hangers in the closet.  

Combining the magnet and tea light ideas, my husband brought a magnetic flashlight on our last cruise. We stuck it to the bathroom ceiling so we wouldn’t have to turn the main light on at night and wake everyone up. (The bathroom light switch was outside the bathroom and on the wrong side of the door, so no way to turn it on once inside)

1 hour ago, CsStingray said:

Combining the magnet and tea light ideas, my husband brought a magnetic flashlight on our last cruise. We stuck it to the bathroom ceiling so we wouldn’t have to turn the main light on at night and wake everyone up. (The bathroom light switch was outside the bathroom and on the wrong side of the door, so no way to turn it on once inside)

DW is 4'11" and she would not like like that.  She does w/o a night light.

18 hours ago, milford_cruiser said:

In fact, they work *BETTER* on the ceiling.  Whatever "weight" you buy (25 lb, 100 lb) is the strength when you pull directly away from the magnet.  Even the 100 lb version slides right down the wall if you put too much weight on them.  

We put 80 lb hooks on the ceiling and they held up a fully loaded beach bag.

It also has a lot to do with how thick the wallpaper on the wall is in each ship, in each cabin.  Some ships, my magnets barely hold on to the wall, some have no problem.  Oasis was one with very thick wallpaper.  Of course the ceilings are metal with paint only.  So...yes...better contact.  

I purchased these and also some higher-weight (40 lbs) ones, but these have always had plenty of hold from the ceiling:  Magnetic Hooks,Maximum 22 LB Heavy Duty Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet Hook  Ten magnets for under nine bucks, this cheapskate was a happy camper!  

I don't even bother packing my heavier ones now -- these hold a damp swimsuit just fine from the ceiling (like a previous poster, I like to hang items by the air vent for faster drying).  And since I have to fly and I am an over-packer in the first place, the lighter weight of these smaller hooks helps me hit that checked baggage weight limit!

17 hours ago, cb at sea said:

We've never needed to hang stuff on the walls... don't see the point at all!

Well then, that clinches it...you don't ever need to hang stuff on the walls, so nobody ever needs to hang stuff on the walls because as we all know everybody is exactly the same.  You don't need to see the point of someone else's choices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rala said:

Well then, that clinches it...you don't ever need to hang stuff on the walls, so nobody ever needs to hang stuff on the walls because as we all know everybody is exactly the same.  You don't need to see the point of someone else's choices.

Just put that username on your Ignore List -- you're never gonna get anything valuable from her posts, so just avoid the hassle entirely!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. We're in Europe for two weeks so we definitely need to do laundry at some point. I'm glad to hear that these hooks are effective to hang both clothes and a clothesline. I totally forgot about a flashlight. Added that to the random pack list. I just need to remember to not take my go to flashlight that has built in "pocket" knives (it's a camping flashlight). 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, brillohead said:

Just put that username on your Ignore List -- you're never gonna get anything valuable from her posts, so just avoid the hassle entirely!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I know you are right.  I think I may do just that!  🙂

• Like 1

In addition to some of the uses already posted, here are other ways I organize our room:

I put a small magnet next to the room light controller.  I tie a heavy string to the magnet, and an old Sail and Sign card to the other end of the string.  It is our light control card.  We take the card out and let it hang when the room is not occupied.

I don't like electrical extension cords running across the floor.  I use the stronger magnets with hooks to run the cord up off the ground along the wall.  We don't trip over it, and the cord is completely out of the way for vacuuming.  It does require a longer cord.  Have never had an issue bringing on board.

We use hooked magnets to hang belts, ties, and other assorted small items.

When packing, magnets are separated by bubble wrap.

Not for everyone, but works for us.