Roll Calls

MixerDave

Our Majestic NZ cruise was pretty quiet.  I don't think there are as many members outside N.A. that participate and this cruise was mostly Aussies.  OTOH, our cruise around S.A. had a very active Roll Call with tour discussions and arrangements, etc.

It really fluctuates. Ten years ago we were getting close to 100 as we got nearer to the cruise. Over the years it has slowly decreased. My December 3rd Grand Princess cruise for this year only has 6 so far. 

No two are the same.

The Roll Call for our AK cruise on the Ruby Princess, last month, was pretty sedate.  There were no organizers.  Since I am not an organizer, I was OK with that.  However, about a week before the cruise somebody suggested that whoever wanted to meet in Skywalkers at 11:00 am on the first sea day, he would be there.

I posted that I would try to be there.  A few people posted a similar message.  A few people said they would definitely be there.

It was, easily, the best "Meet & Mingle" kind of event I've ever enjoyed.

Oh I just thought of something else that came up on the Roll Call.  One person announced that he had a dozen or so coffee cards with available punches.  Since these are all expiring on August 31, this summer, he offered one to anybody until they were gone,  Give him a cabin number, and he would slide one under the door.  Yes, that did generate a bit of Roll Call activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, All,

On our first cruise on the Grand in 2003, I discovered Cruise Critic Roll Calls.  Amazingly, our group of posters was pretty much a "match made in heaven'".  We all discovered so much in common.  At our "Meet and Mingle", we all instantly knew each other, and bonded well.  Most of us have sailed every New Year Cruise together since with few exceptions (although not on the Grand Princess).  Also a few Summer cruises.  You could call it a wonderful, once in a lifetime, event. 

I have tried on subsequent cruises to chat with fellow cruisers on the Roll Call for whatever ship we were sailing, without much success.  Guess we were fortunate on that first cruise!

Needless to say, we are really looking forward to our New Years Cruise with everyone on the Sky Princess (I think it will be the fifth cruise for that ship in the Caribbean). 

It seems to me that sometimes if the ship is full of a lot of newbies or a really large group, the roll call is particularly slow.  It's not that way always, but it seems to be an indicator with my roll calls.  Being a holiday sailing, there could be a lot of newbie cruisers or young families that just haven't found the roll call yet.  I bet a lot will pop in about 2 months prior.

Our Inside Passage cruise which ended a few days ago had very little roll call activity. Our next cruise which doesn't depart until Oct., 2020, already has 21 pages on the roll call. 😊

The last Princess cruise I went on the Roll Call was very well supported. A meet up was organised which was interesting. and so fellow passengers could make arrangements for private tours they were on.

My upcoming cruise in August is still relatively slow.

Most, but not all, of the Alaska cruises out of Seattle are fairly active, but not all of them.  I post an informational message on all of the sailing out of Seattle to Alaska and some of them don't even have a roll call for their sailing! That's not common but there are usually a couple each year.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Most, but not all, of the Alaska cruises out of Seattle are fairly active, but not all of them.  I post an informational message on all of the sailing out of Seattle to Alaska and some of them don't even have a roll call for their sailing! That's not common but there are usually a couple each year.

Tom

Interesting ... what kind of message do you post ???

37 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Interesting ... what kind of message do you post ???

Go here and look at Message #66 as it's the one I posted yesterday for the Ruby sailing out of Seattle on this coming Saturday. A similar message is posted for each sailing out of Pier 91.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2613181-ruby-princess-alaska-8-june-2019/page/3/

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers