What is the Best Rate

Paula B

We are flying into Fll the day before our cruise. I was just wondering if I should book directly with the hotel or is it better to go through a site like Expedia or Travelocity? What is the best rate?

Thanks in advance

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You just have to do the comparison research. There is no one comprehensive answer.

Yep.  Best rate is the best one you can find.  

We prefer not to deal with third party booking sites - but that's just us.

We use Trivago, it will direct you to the best deal on any hotel. The prices vary daily.We always book with free cancelation in case of price drops. Always check with the hotel after using a 3rd. party to make sure of you booking. Have never had a problem in the last 15 years or so.

I search third party sites and find rates that have free cancellation and then contact the hotel/reservations department to match the lower rate.  Best of both worlds 🙂

3rd party places that I deal with are about a 10% discount off our BAR rate (Best Available Rate - full price no restrictions).  But, you have to do more due diligence than if you book directly with the hotel.  BUT, be aware that if you have to cancel or change that 3rd party reservation, most (not all) hotels will not deal with you directly but you have to go through the 3rd party.  And, based on my dealings with reservations through Expedia and Groupon this Spring and Summer, definitely call the hotel within an hour of making the reservation to be sure that they did get the request and the correct room type and meal plan is there.  There always seem to be some sort of hiccup with at least one guest a week...

Me?  I always go directly through the hotel website for my reservations.  I have enough Frequent Guest memberships that I can usually get the "Member Special" rate which is the same as that 3rd party rate.  And, I get my FG bennies...

I always book through the rewards program of the hotel line. I am a member (sign up is free) of several lines. I usually book hotels with Hilton Honors, so I log into my account and view their hotels and prices. There is an option to add discounts like AAA when doing the search.  Another thing I like about Hilton Honors is that I can check in 24 hours in advance and choose my room.  Then when I have reached a certain number of points, I can book a free room or book a room using cash and points.

Edited by TNcruising02