Mobility assistance

I have reserved a w/chair for my husband at the port (Cape Liberty) for embarkation.  Has anyone tried to rent a motorized w/chair as opposed to a scooter.  Have seen some

especially compact and light ones that would be perfect for him (e.g Air Hawk, etc).  Have not bought one for personal use yet as capable with cane for shorter distances.

Any ideas as to where to start.  Maybe find a durable medical equipment supply place to stop at on the way to the port ?  Would like to UBER/LYFT to port and hope could find

a driver willing to do this.  Of course recognize would pay for this extra side trip, but not sure how accomadating drivers would be or is anyone aware of companies that would

have these at the port much like scooters ?  Or who do I contact ?  Special needs at RCCL or private company ?  TIA.  Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

I rented scooter for my last cruise out of Port Canaveral and plan to rent one for my November cruise on Harmony.  You can do it on line but I called to make the reservation.  At P C you have the option of picking up scooter before you board and driving yourself onto ship or having it waiting for you in your cabin.  It cost less to pick it up in terminal so I opted to do that.

I rented thru SCOOTAROUND opted for Transportable Electric Scooter.  It's overall width at base is 20" and it has a maximum weight limit of 325 lbs.  I loved it.

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

I rented scooter for my last cruise out of Port Canaveral and plan to rent one for my November cruise on Harmony.  You can do it on line but I called to make the reservation.  At P C you have the option of picking up scooter before you board and driving yourself onto ship or having it waiting for you in your cabin.  It cost less to pick it up in terminal so I opted to do that.

I rented thru SCOOTAROUND opted for Transportable Electric Scooter.  It's overall width at base is 20" and it has a maximum weight limit of 325 lbs.  I loved it.

Just curious, what did they charge for the week.  Do you also return it a the terminal.

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Just curious, what did they charge for the week.  Do you also return it a the terminal.

Would have to look it up but I seem to recall it was $140 to pick up and return to terminal and $165 to have it delivered to cabin.

Yes, I drove it off the ship and to the entrance of the terminal where I returned it to the same lady I had picked it up from.

I do believe I have read that Scootaround is available for rent at most if not all terminals in US.  Do not know about other countries.  

It has a basket on front and I would go to Schooner Bar and pick up 2 mixed drinks and 2 glasses of red wine each evening and scoot back to cabin as DH had medical issues and thus was not able to go to Diamond Happy Hour.

8 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Would have to look it up but I seem to recall it was $140 to pick up and return to terminal and $165 to have it delivered to cabin.

Yes, I drove it off the ship and to the entrance of the terminal where I returned it to the same lady I had picked it up from.

I do believe I have read that Scootaround is available for rent at most if not all terminals in US.  Do not know about other countries.  

It has a basket on front and I would go to Schooner Bar and pick up 2 mixed drinks and 2 glasses of red wine each evening and scoot back to cabin as DH had medical issues and thus was not able to go to Diamond Happy Hour.

TY,

The learning curve for an ECV is much shorter and easier than an electric wheelchair.  He can practice prior to the cruise at any grocery store or big box store. Many companies will not rent an electric chair to anyone that does not already own one for home use

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

The learning curve for an ECV is much shorter and easier than an electric wheelchair.  He can practice prior to the cruise at any grocery store or big box store. Many companies will not rent an electric chair to anyone that does not already own one for home use

Always use the electric cart at Publix and WalMart.  The scooter was actually easier to drive than the store carts.

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

I second this. I regularly use a scooter. However, I tested a friend's electric wheelchair and almost ran it into a swimming pool. The joystick is hard to get used to and is hypersensitive.

The other thing about electric wheelchairs is that your feet are on a platform out in front of you with nothing above them. I've seen people on foot trip over the foot rest while trying to cut off the person in the wheelchair, landing in the lap of the person in the chair. With a scooter, you have the steering column in front of you as a little buffer. Not that I haven't had a drunk person land in my lap while I've been in a scooter...

Your wheelchair "reservation" is simply to get him from the car to the check in desk and onto the ship.  It's not for use onboard.

There are several rental companies that deal with cruise ship rentals...either a motorized wheelchair or scooter of some type. They deliver to the ship...it will be waiting in your cabin.     You need to be careful tho....not all cabins have doorways wide enough to get the vehicle thru the door.  So go in with your eyes wide open!  Any scooters or wheelchairs MUST be stored IN the cabin.  Can't leave them in the hallway!

our wheelchair "reservation" is simply to get him from the car to the check in desk and onto the ship.  It's not for use onboard.

There are several rental companies that deal with cruise ship rentals...either a motorized wheelchair or scooter of some type. They deliver to the ship...it will be waiting in your cabin.     You need to be careful tho....not all cabins have doorways wide enough to get the vehicle thru the door.  So go in with your eyes wide open!  Any scooters or wheelchairs MUST be stored IN the cabin.  Can't leave them in the hallway!

Thanks all for your help.  I understand doorway restrictions, etc.  Will check with Scootaround as reviews for special needs at sea are terrible.
We're in an Owners' Suite so will check with RC to be sure it will be ok.  I know the W/C help at the port is only for boarding & hadn't planned to use
it after that.  

16 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

our wheelchair "reservation" is simply to get him from the car to the check in desk and onto the ship.  It's not for use onboard.

Thanks all for your help.  I understand doorway restrictions, etc.  Will check with Scootaround as reviews for special needs at sea are terrible.
We're in an Owners' Suite so will check with RC to be sure it will be ok.  I know the W/C help at the port is only for boarding & hadn't planned to use
it after that.  

You won’t have any problem at all getting it into an OS or storing it. Plenty of room. 

5 hours ago, sdrocks said:

our wheelchair "reservation" is simply to get him from the car to the check in desk and onto the ship.  

5 hours ago, gerif said:

You won’t have any problem at all getting it into an OS or storing it. Plenty of room. 

5 hours ago, gerif said:

I know the W/C help at the port is only for boarding & hadn't planned to use

it after that.  

Do not what port you will be sailing from but at Port Everglades and Port Canaveral we had to get from the car/shuttle into the terminal.  They would not bring wheelchair out to assist at either port.  Same at Port of Tampa where we had to go thru security and sit in terminal and wait for them to come with wheelchair.  We reserved thru "special needs."

On 5/28/2019 at 1:15 PM, Snit13 said:

I had a scooter on Serenade two years ago. How did you ever manage to haul 4 open drinks in the basket?  

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I had a scooter on Serenade two years ago. How did you ever manage to haul 4 open drinks in the basket?  

Now John, simply took a box of the tissues from the cabin and put it in the basket.  Put the 2 glasses of wine on one side of box and put tall gin/tonic and tall Jack/soda on other side of box.  Asked waiter for some napkins and put some between each of the drinks then handed him $5 tip and scooted to the elevator.  Grace can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Now John, simply took a box of the tissues from the cabin and put it in the basket.  Put the 2 glasses of wine on one side of box and put tall gin/tonic and tall Jack/soda on other side of box.  Asked waiter for some napkins and put some between each of the drinks then handed him $5 tip and scooted to the elevator.  Grace can do.

my hero!