What to do on arrival in Venice?

cl.klink

Posted this in my roll call, too

We sail on Celebrity Constellation 8/25 out of Venice, 9 nights, many ports before ending in Barcelona. 

What to do on arrival in Venice?  We land Saturday 8/24 7:40 PM., night before disembarkation. We’ll be exhausted.  Should we splurge and take a water taxi that night, stay somewhere in the city to absorb the Venice vibe Sunday, then go to the pier?  Or should we be practical, crash near the airport, then in AM meander to the pier Sunday morning (maybe water taxi then?)?  We really don’t have time to do Venice the right way (have to do that any other trip), and lots of other terrific ports to come will give lots of good experiences, so maybe we should not fret one way or another about getting anything from Venice this time, and just get to the ship?

Very conflicted between practicality and idealism, 

- Joel

There is a both/and solution.  I generally would not recommend staying on the mainland when Venice is right there … in this case, given how exhausted you'll be, I'd make this an economic choice.  You can find reasonably priced accommodations in Venice, if you can find one at/near Piazzale Roma I'd do that.

If you can't then staying on the mainland is a reasonable option.  Fall into bed, sleep hard and get up early and head into Venice.  Drop your bags off at the port and spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon seeing Venice.  I would aim to be one of the last people boarding the ship, you'll have nine days to check that out but only a few hours to see as much of Venice as you can.

• Like 1

Given your time constraints, I'd stay in Mestre, which is right across the causeway from Venice.  Much cheaper than Venice but only 10 minutes away by train or bus. 

And, if you stay near the Mestre train station, you can take the ATVO express bus from the airport for 8E pp, a 15 minute ride.   http://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_b_dal_18.05_al_15.06.19_-_mestre_fs-m.polo.pdf

Get a good night's sleep, have b'fast, checkout, but ask the staff to hold your luggage, then spend several hrs in Venice sightseeing.  Take the train from VENEZIA MESTRE to Venezia S Lucia ( they leave every 10-15 minutes for under 2E ).  As soon as you get off the train, you're at the Grand Canal, so hop on a waterbus and take it to the end, St Marks (#1 route takes an hr, #2 about 20 minutes.  Wander around for a few hrs, then go back to your hotel to collect your luggage, and take a cab to the pier .

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

Very true, but i was thinking they'd leave the hotel by 8am, which would be a very busy time at the pier since people will be disembarking and collecting luggage.  Would the porters even accept luggage that early ?  If so, yes, it would be wise to get rid of the luggage early.

You can also check your luggage near the Venice train station (google "venice train station luggage check") – very convenient both to drop off and for retrieval after sightseeing on your way to the ship.

There is a left luggage office at the pier if the porters are not ready to accept it for their sailing.

The train station is another option but it's a tad inconvenient since it's on the other side of the Grand Canal.  It's easier to come into Venice by bus from Mestre, which leaves you at Piazzale Roma on the same side of the canal as the cruise port.  There is also a left luggage office at Piazzale Roma if they want to store it there.

Personally I would stay in Venice itself, hang the extra expense! you'd then be in Venice in the evening and (if you can get up early) at dawn, when Venice is at it's best. You feel as if you have the city to yourself after the ships and tours have left and in the morning, enjoying St Mark's square with just the pigeons, is an unforgettable experience. This will be my 3rd time in Venice and there is something magical about the place when it's quiet and you can hear your footsteps. enjoy!

Edited by sewingbee
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Check out Hotel Olimpia, very near the Piazzale Roma.  We are doing the Celebrity Constellation in November 2019, and found the rates to be very good - but maybe it is due to the time of the year.  It appears very close to the people mover and port.  Our cruise has the added "bonus" of overnighting the first night, so we get an extra day.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, sewingbee said:

Personally I would stay in Venice itself, hang the extra expense! 

I got a bit of sticker shock when I searched for hotels in Venice.  I have booked in a 'reasonable' hotel near to the train station, it is still more than I have paid for a hotel in a long time.  I have not been yet, but sewingbee's post has reassured me that I have made the right decision to stay in Venice.  If I were the OP I think I would splurge.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 1

It all depends on your budget.   Given the overall cost of a cruise and flights, I would definitely splurge for the water taxi and hotel in Venice proper.  The next day, leave your luggage at the hotel until it is time to head for the port.