PIcture ID

Gma&Gpa

One of our travelers is an adult, but does not drive and has a picture ID issued by DMV.  He also has a certified copy of his birth certificate.  It's his first cruise, and I suspect he won't cruise often, - so I don't want him to spend the extra $130 or so on a passport, to use one time.    Will his picture ID be sufficient, even though not a driver's license?

Yes, a government issued photo ID (like a drivers license or state issued ID) is acceptable.

From Carnival's help page:

• Photo I.D. Information: If the Permanent Resident Card does not include a photo I.D., a non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older such as a Driver’s License, Driver’s Permit or government-issued identification card (city/state/federal).

15 minutes ago, Davey Wavey said:

Yes, a government issued photo ID (like a drivers license or state issued ID) is acceptable.

From Carnival's help page:

• Photo I.D. Information: If the Permanent Resident Card does not include a photo I.D., a non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older such as a Driver’s License, Driver’s Permit or government-issued identification card (city/state/federal).

Exactly this.

Also to note as long as the copy of the birth certificate was issued by the Department of Health or Vital Statics and has whatever security measure (raised seal, watermark paper, color changing ink, RFID strip, etc.) that the issuing state uses to deter forgeries that will be accepted as proof of nationality. 

IF it is an older copy make sure it is legible and not torn, if there is any suspicion of it not being in good enough condition get a new one issued either from the county clerk where born or through an online facilitator like vitalchek.com

They just gotten new birth certificates issued - to make sure they were compliant on that. Didn't want to take any chances on that.   Thank you for the replies, I do feel more assured now.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, ray98 said:

Yes....the requirement is a government issued ID, not specifically a drivers license.  He will be find.

And that is why state governments issue that type of ID for those not without a driver's license. 

Someday just for giggles, I will use my expired NY Westchester County Senior photo ID card as proof of ID, just to see if Carnival or some of the Caribbean port security guards will accept it.

Of course, I'll still have my passport and Florida DL with me.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:22 AM, maryred said:

Also to note as long as the copy of the birth certificate was issued by the Department of Health or Vital Statics and has whatever security measure (raised seal, watermark paper, color changing ink, RFID strip, etc.) that the issuing state uses to deter forgeries that will be accepted as proof of nationality. 

IF it is an older copy make sure it is legible and not torn, if there is any suspicion of it not being in good enough condition get a new one issued either from the county clerk where born or through an online facilitator like vitalchek.com

It does not have to have the seal or water marks.  This is according to their site:  

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. 
Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

Someday just for giggles, I will use my expired NY Westchester County Senior photo ID card as proof of ID, just to see if Carnival or some of the Caribbean port security guards will accept it.

Of course, I'll still have my passport and Florida DL with me.

If it weren't expired it would likely work.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

It does not have to have the seal or water marks.  This is according to their site:  

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. 

What is not acceptable is a hospital birth certificate. This also applies when applying for a passport. (My DW found this out many, many years ago when it turned out that the birth certificate that her mother had kept and sent to her was the hospital one. She had to request a government copy from the township she was born in to be able to receive a passport.)

6 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

My intent was to point out that the security measure needs to be evident even if it is a done at home copy. A watermark or raised seal will show to some extent in a quality copy, color changing ink or aRFID strip not so much. Also states are moving to issue a more enduring document than a paper BC such as having the information on a scannable card the size of the average credit card. Like a Passport card a copy of that would not be acceptable.

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

•  

1 hour ago, maryred said:

My intent was to point out that the security measure needs to be evident even if it is a done at home copy. A watermark or raised seal will show to some extent in a quality copy, color changing ink or aRFID strip not so much. Also states are moving to issue a more enduring document than a paper BC such as having the information on a scannable card the size of the average credit card. Like a Passport card a copy of that would not be acceptable.

All their site says is clear, legible photocopy.  It does not say that it has to be of quality, only legible.  Nor does it mention seal or watermark.  Someone posted today that it was changed two or three years ago to just a clear and legible copy.  

7 hours ago, maryred said:

No where does it require that any security measure needs to be evident. During the cruise every passenger will be vetted by CBP including verification of birth information from the appropriate database. As long as the information presented matches the database everything will be fine.