sleeping quarters for staff

AliceSprings

The crew sling their hammocks between the motors, when travelling at night the crew have to use the long sweep oars to propell the boat. This is so the guests can have a good nights sleep without any motor vibrations. The only thing you could hear is a light rendition of "Michael Row the Boat Ashore"

Have a great cruise,🥨🍻🍻

Edited by G.M.T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, AliceSprings said:

where do the staff sleep and will they disturb sleeping guests in the night?

A typical Rhine-Main-Danube river boat has 4 decks (Lower, Middle, Upper, open Sun deck). The Lower Deck (often referred to as “Aquarium Class”) floor is typically about a meter below water line with non-opening windows slightly above water line. Usually the forward portion of the Lower Deck has passenger cabins, and the aft portion is for most or all of the crew. There will be a door labeled “Crew Only”  separating fore and aft; while there will be a small amount of crew traffic down the passenger hall, there is a crew stairwell aft (this being the secondary emergency exit for Lower Deck passengers). On boats with direct (non-included) gratuities the crew compensation is heavily dependent on gratuities. Whether tips are included or not, virtually all crews make outstanding efforts to provide the best experience possible, so they rarely disturb passengers. 

You didn’t say where or with which line you were interested in, but my description covers most Central/Western European boats. 

• Like 1

Unless you are a light sleeper like me and had the stateroom that we had (221) on an AmaWaterways ship. 🙅‍♂️  

I heard noise during the night.  Granted that it was only a couple of nights, but I did hear a door slam, foot steps, and some moving around behind our stateroom wall around the midnight hour.    I went right back to sleep.  After investigating the next day, I found that the crew stairwell ran down below our bathroom.  And, a door opposite the entrance to the crew stairwell was the Managers (CD) stateroom...right behind ours.  We shared a bed wall.   

See deck plan for stairwell.   The white area is the Managers room.   https://www.amawaterways.com/ships/amaviola-river-cruise-ship#DeckPlan

Again, the disturbance was not very bothersome.  In fact, we found the river cruise ship much quieter than a stateroom on a larger cruise ship.  We heard no noise from the stateroom above us, or in the hallways, because most passengers retire early.  We would not hesitate to book the same stateroom again if we had no other choice.

The largest disturbance that we had was when we were almost thrown out of the bed when the ship hit a lock.  YIKES!!!

Edited by Iamthesea

On the Crystal Mozart - I had the cheapest cabin and was on the same level as the crew. They were down one hallway and we were down the other hallway. Honestly - I think I was so dead from touring all day that when I got to my cabin, I didn't care about anything else. I never heard any noise in my cabin and wondered if I had people on either side of me.

• Like 1

We were amazed how quiet our river ship cabin was.  We were on the highest deck, read reports of possible disturbance by people walking or jogging above but never experienced it.  

Only night disturbances were the occasional bright light or bumps when going through locks.  Heard airplanes faintly as we sailed past Frankfurt in the night.