It's official...all NCL cruises to Cuba are being changed

RupanIII

Some information suggesting the following from Cruise Industry News just posted for MSC for those onboard.

MSC Cruises will modify ,effective immediately, all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call on Cuba on the MSC Armonia, the company said. 

"Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings," the company said. "The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned."

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and have been offered the following options:

• $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the guest’s onboard account.
  • The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20969-msc-armonia-cuba-itinerary-update.html

Edited by hankerka

12 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

As usual, RC is offering 100% refunds while NCL fulfills their expectations of inferiority and mediocrity. NCL...what a joke.

I'd rather have two cruises for the price of one, than none for ZERO.  

Now I wish I had pulled the trigger on the July 15th Cuba Cruise.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jstcruizin said:

Im curious what everyone actually paid for your cruise.  we went last May on the first cruise to Cuba  out of port Canaveral and paid 2400 dollars for an inside  , ( some in our group payed almost twice that for balconies) it stopped in Key West which is only a 6 hr drive from us not to mention we've been there many times so it was definitely about the destination for us to pay that much for just a 4 night. If this had happened to us we would of cancelled IF it was an option but since its not what else can ya do but just go and try to have fun. I can see both sides and really feel bad for all involved. 

The quotes I was looking at for the July 15th 4 day Cuba cruise on the Sun were $2100 or so for two in a Balcony Cabin...mid ship.  Take all 5 offers, which included the Ultra Premium Drink Upgrade because the ship is already an all inclusive as far as Alcohol goes.  

MSC is offering $400 OBC to those currently on cruises.  

And for future cruises you can cancel (waive all cancellation fees) but not for a refund.  You can take all money paid and apply it to another MSC cruise (atleast the way their press release reads).  

Sorry, NCL's offer is WAY better IMO 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'd rather have two cruises for the price of one, than none for ZERO.  

Now I wish I had pulled the trigger on the July 15th Cuba Cruise.  

Agreed.  This wasn’t NCL’s fault (nor any of the cruise lines).  

If there are beefs, the focus of the beefs is obvious, and they aren’t the cruise lines.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Agreed.  This wasn’t NCL’s fault (nor any of the cruise lines).  

If there are beefs, the focus of the beefs is obvious, and they aren’t the cruise lines.

Honestly.. I view it as probably my fault more then anyone elses.  Or frankly any of us who booked a cruise to a country where travel, and trade were always precarious.  

• Like 2

Some of you are making this sound like this is terrible.  The U.S. makes it impossible to sail to Cuba.  Now, all of a sudden, it’s the cruise lines’ fault.

I can hear it now.....those who had their entire cruise cancelled would be complaining about having to change hotel plans, flight change fees, etc.

At least NCL’s way, you still get to cruise, keep all your travel plans, for essentially free....and get another cruise for what amounts to ½ off.  Where’s the downside in that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goksucats said:

Honestly.. I view it as probably my fault more then anyone elses.  Or frankly any of us who booked a cruise to a country where travel, and trade were always precarious.  

I get it.  But, it opened up for a few years, and then was shut down, again.  Still not certain of the reasoning other than to get a news cycle mention by this government.....forget about who it may affect, on either side of the water.

• Like 2

In one of the 20 or so threads on this topic, someone posted than NCL is now offering full refunds.  Didn't see anything official confirming that, but am assuming that posted didn't pull it out of thin air.  So those who were unhappy might be made whole 

From NCL:

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

We are so very sorry for this last-minute change but we do look forward to welcoming you on board again soon and providing an exceptional vacation experience. With our world-class team, our innovative fleet and over 300 destinations to visit, we know you will have the vacation of a lifetime no matter the destination.

Edited by Skipper305
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.  But, it opened up for a few years, and then was shut down, again.  Still not certain of the reasoning other than to get a news cycle mention by this government.....forget about who it may affect, on either side of the water.

Without getting too political, there is at least a reason given.  I’m gonna be vague because I don’t want this thread to become about this, but it has to do more with Venezuela - according to the Treasury department at least

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

So with the cancellation and full refund option OR the massive credit/50% discount, etc. option...safe to say NCL has the best policy? 

Someone should start a thread on the other cruise line boards touting this🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seems like there's going to be some half-empty boats that were originally going to Cuba in the next couple of months.  Could be a good time for anyone flexible enough to feast on some super-cheap last minute fares.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Seems like there's going to be some half-empty boats that were originally going to Cuba in the next couple of months.  Could be a good time for anyone flexible enough to feast on some super-cheap last minute fares.

I REALLY wish those cuba cruises went over the weekend. Don't have time off for a M-F but I could have swung a F-M for a great deal. 

23 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

So with the cancellation and full refund option OR the massive credit/50% discount, etc. option...safe to say NCL has the best policy?  

Seems by far the best policy...me, I'd take the two cruises for the price of one deal.  

19 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Excellent point...I'll be watching prices for sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

The quotes I was looking at for the July 15th 4 day Cuba cruise on the Sun were $2100 or so for two in a Balcony Cabin...mid ship.  Take all 5 offers, which included the Ultra Premium Drink Upgrade because the ship is already an all inclusive as far as Alcohol goes.  

That was a good deal compared compared to ours.  but i guess the consolation is we at least got to go. I Feel For those who didn't

24 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Not to sound like a vulture but thats what we're hoping.  with hubs retired our cruise budget is more tight until hes old enough  to collect his pension. 

Edited by jstcruizin

34 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Not my favorite cruise line ( did the awesome  Cuba and Star Trek one)  but i would have to say GOOD JOB NORWEGIAN!!!

22 minutes ago, jstcruizin said:

Not to sound like a vulture but thats what we're hoping.  with hubs retired our cruise budget is more tight until hes old enough  to collect his pension. 

A good deal is a good deal.  Those that cancel are passing up a good deal in exchange for a full refund, not a thing wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity.  👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tarheelmjfan said:

NCL also charges gratuities on their "free" perks. With this offer, you need to take two cruises you may not have chosen to take & pay gratuities on the "free" perks for another cruise to get the extra 50%. 

Is NCL giving 50% off of the total price of the cruise? If not that's not 50% off the cruise, if you're comparing it to a 100% refund. You'll need to pay those charges for two cruises you may not have chosen to take.

As far as no good deed goes unpunished, the good deed isn't very impressive, when it's self serving compared to other offers. Again, I can't believe anyone considers this offer comparable to the other cruise lines. This is simple math that should be obvious to everyone. So far, NCL is the only cruise line that's guaranteeing the results will come out in their favor.

Not 50% off...50% off the cruise fare but not 50% off total payment.    From what I understand if you used a Cruisenext deposit there will be no refund on those.  Also, no refund or compensation of any kind for using NCL credit card points.    

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Seems by far the best policy...me, I'd take the two cruises for the price of one deal.  

Yup, me too.  I'd be a little bummed about not getting all my ports, but as long as I can get some lounge time in the warm sun with a cold drink that's a win every time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

In one of the 20 or so threads on this topic, someone posted than NCL is now offering full refunds.  Didn't see anything official confirming that, but am assuming that posted didn't pull it out of thin air.  So those who were unhappy might be made whole 

I got that offer this morning too. 

I swear NCL came on these forums first and thought to themselves "how can we piss off these people, oh I know, let's not refund their money but give them half back and send them to Nassau!" I'm on the side of being upset that I paid more just to see Havana and I'm not getting what I paid for. Being from Canada we can vacation to Cuba anytime and Havana is definitely a city worth visiting.