It's official...all NCL cruises to Cuba are being changed

RupanIII

28 minutes ago, babynurse06 said:

I’m not sure how they’re not being honest? I’m on the 6/10 sailing and got a message in myNCL last night that our cruise (and all future cruises) are being re-routed and there will be more details when they have them. You should have a message also. 

I was wondering the very same thing. It is obvious they are not going to Cuba, what more information does someone expect at this time. I am sure the front office is working their heads off to make plans. As for where they end up going, I would not be happy, if I had planned on going to Cuba and ended up at GSC or Nassau, but it isn't NCLs fault this happened. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I was wondering the very same thing. It is obvious they are not going to Cuba, what more information does someone expect at this time. I am sure the front office is working their heads off to make plans. As for where they end up going, I would not be happy, if I had planned on going to Cuba and ended up at GSC or Nassau, but it isn't NCLs fault this happened. 

No it isnt NCLs fault. However RCI and Carnival are already releasing their changed itineraries and credits for the missed stop. NCL is behind the other lines when it comes to communicating what is going on. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, babynurse06 said:

I’m not sure how they’re not being honest? I’m on the 6/10 sailing and got a message in myNCL last night that our cruise (and all future cruises) are being re-routed and there will be more details when they have them. You should have a message also. 

I did get that message. However I called them because I have no interest in doing the Bahamas for 4 days for the price of the cruise I paid (I paid $1300 less for an 11 day cruise this fall!). I asked them what was happening and they said that the ban DID NOT APPLY to my upcoming cruise,ony future cruises. That they were still going to Havana on it and that I should just wait and see what happened.

5 hours ago, ChrisCJSU said:

How about we leave politics out of this thread?

I couldn't agree more. If politics wasn't involved, sailings would still be going to Cuba.

Just saw on NCL's website in the top banner:

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #2 June 5, 2019 12:30 PM ET (4:30 PM UTC)

On June 4, 2019, the U.S. government announced new travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We thank our guests and travel partners for their patience as we navigate this unexpected, last-minute change, and we will of course continue to share information with them as soon as additional details become available.

40 minutes ago, RupanIII said:

No it isnt NCLs fault. However RCI and Carnival are already releasing their changed itineraries and credits for the missed stop. NCL is behind the other lines when it comes to communicating what is going on. 

yes, you are right, but it is also just as well to remember, what NCL has been saying for 24 hours: they are working on details. You can be pretty sure they will come up with something that will match what other lines are doing; probably nothing more or nothing less, but maybe a little different. For all those who do not want to go to the Bahamas, I don't blame you but there really are not a lot of choices unfortunately .....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

yes, you are right, but it is also just as well to remember, what NCL has been saying for 24 hours: they are working on details. You can be pretty sure they will come up with something that will match what other lines are doing; probably nothing more or nothing less, but maybe a little different. For all those who do not want to go to the Bahamas, I don't blame you but there really are not a lot of choices unfortunately .....

We are on a July 18th Oceania sailing that is exclusively Cuba ports--the sole reason for booking this cruise and on this date. There is nothing that can replace this. It should have been grandfathered in regardless...its reckless without a doubt. We are out at least $1000 the cost of the insurance.

4 hours ago, ncdebe said:

Just talked to NCL. Their line (for now) is that this is only effecting future cruises. My sailing was Monday June 10. I wish they would be honest. 

My NCL Cruise Consultant told me Nassau this morning.  I am on a June 10 sailing

4 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

I don't think so. This mess is costing the cruise lines a lot of money and I think they will think twice before resuming sailings to Cuba without a firm US policy in place. It will probably take a full lifting of the embargo and all travel restrictions to get the  cruise lines interested again.

I went to the NCL website and saw that the Sky has only one sailing for sale, a Bahamas cruise. They have to scramble to figure out what to do with that ship.  

My Rep at NCL indicated they made port call in Havana yesterday, but did not disembark. I will be on Sky the 10th, and am waiting to see what happens. The official pronouncement came out last month, actually being introduced in April, but could not take effect until published in the Federal Register, which was done yesterday.

14 minutes ago, RupanIII said:

Boooooo

16 minutes ago, raidermom50 said:

My NCL Cruise Consultant told me Nassau this morning.  I am on a June 10 sailing

I’m on the June 17th sailing and mine told me they don’t know for that sailing yet. Who knows......

Carnival is offering:

$100 pp obc if you stay on your current sailing with modified itineray

$50 pp obc if you change to a different cruise

FULL REFUND if you choose not to sail.

I certainly hope Norwegian does the right thing and offers something similar.

I realize it's not their fault, but this isn't a simple itinerary change.  The vast majority of people are taking Cuba cruises solely to see Cuba.  If the people who are under penalty don't have have an option to back out, that's a really crummy thing for Norwegian to do.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Not if they handle this like they did for our Bermuda cruise last September on the Escape with the threat of a hurricane,  we got nothing. No cancellation refund, no obc, nothing. We just had a 7 day trip to nowhere,  but that's all the contract guaranteed. Royal offered 50% refundable obc or cancel no fees, Carnival offered $100pp obc or cancel no fees. 

Edited by martinchem
Mispel

1 hour ago, Quencups said:

Lol. Please not Nassau, Please not Nassau....

In reality, there are not many viable options...

I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Sun 4 day to Cuba...sailing July 15th...just a few days ago....looks like I made the right call.  

I hope they take care of everyone who thought they had a Cuba cruise booked...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

For those who are still hoping your upcoming cruise next week etc will still stop in Cuba it won’t 

NO more stops in Cuba 100% 

You’ll be able to still take your cruise with whatever NCL port change happens and hopefully some OBC as compensation or hopefully cancel your cruise and get a full refund 

7 minutes ago, SuziCruises said:

Carnival is offering:

$100 pp obc if you stay on your current sailing with modified itineray

$50 pp obc if you change to a different cruise

FULL REFUND if you choose not to sail.

I certainly hope Norwegian does the right thing and offers something similar.

I realize it's not their fault, but this isn't a simple itinerary change.  The vast majority of people are taking Cuba cruises solely to see Cuba.  If the people who are under penalty don't have have an option to back out, that's a really crummy thing for Norwegian to do.  

Not on the cruise, but if I were, I would send an email to Frank Del Rio and Andy Stuart and let them know what Carnival and Royal Caribbean are doing for their customers and ask:  one, why they are not alerting their customers what they are doing, two, ask if they are going to force customers to go on an alternative itinerary and three, why these other two cruise lines can come up with the plans so quickly after the announcement was made and they can't.  I would also go to my local media and see if they will do a story on the subject.  In this case, I don't think anyone should be forced to go on an alternative itinerary, if they don't want to, since this was IMHO a destination cruise to Cuba.

1 hour ago, seacruiser123 said:

We are on a July 18th Oceania sailing that is exclusively Cuba ports--the sole reason for booking this cruise and on this date. There is nothing that can replace this. It should have been grandfathered in regardless...its reckless without a doubt. We are out at least $1000 the cost of the insurance.

Who did you buy your insurance from..  Did you know most insurance policies allow a 1 time change -- so you can apply that to a replacement cruise as long as you do this before the date of your original cruise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Who did you buy your insurance from..  Did you know most insurance policies allow a 1 time change -- so you can apply that to a replacement cruise as long as you do this before the date of your original cruise.

I wondered that too when I saw how much someone paid for travel insurance. $1000? Sorry to say, seacruiser123, you got ripped off big time.

16 hours ago, Almagetty said:

I’m heartbroken for all of you onboard the Sun right now. We were onboard last week and I can only imagine your disappointment.

Thats how i feel for those ones that cant go. Went to cuba last may and hoped to go back since the price went down. We loved it!!!