On board King crab

plagmah

How is the onboard king crab lunch compared to the port crab shacks?  

Was planning to go to Tracy’s in Juneau but we have s big day of site seeing. 

If if I can get good crab on Millennium it might be the best option 

We live in Alaska but we periodically do Alaska cruises as this state is so huge it gives us an excuse to visit SE Alaska.  Based on my experience on Celebrity Alaska itineraries I doubt you will find king crab on the Millennium.  If you will be stopping at Icy Strait Point, look for crab there.  Also, dungeness is caught in the area of Ketchikan, and we have had excellent dungeness at Annabelle's in Ketchikan.  And, while I know this is an unpopular opinion,  I find Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau to be over rated.

• Like 2

They do it 2-3 times on each itinerary.  I have the post from the daily newsletter. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried it 

definitely looking for king crab.  Will look at annebelles. 

B19136FD-0440-4D8C-9BA0-52F0BD3556C3.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, plagmah said:

They do it 2-3 times on each itinerary.  I have the post from the daily newsletter. 

We were B2B on the Millennium in 2017 (Seward to Vancouver back to Seward), and this menu was definitely NOT offered.  But I have seen the same menu, with same price, offered on Canada/New England cruises.  And I hope that you understand that king crab in Alaska is a winter fishery out of Unalaska/Dutch Harbor.  The crab is flash frozen and then shipped.

• Like 1

I understand.  Trying to evaluate the difference in quality and price onboard versus Tracy’s crab shack 

I appreciate your responses. 

We sail on Friday. 👍🏻🛳

Sorry, Plagmah, I cannot tell you if it was good or not as we thought $45/pp for lunch was ridiculous.  I think this is a new thing as it was offered on our Eclipse sailing from Honolulu to Vancouver last April.  I see on your post that it was $35/pp. Maybe the price has gone down because everyone thought the same as we did?

I would try and get it in the port too.  If you do have it on the ship, please tell us how it was.  Enjoy your cruise with or without the crab lunch!😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plagmah said:

Did this on Infinity in December in Tuscan Grill on our last day before disembark. It was a great meal. Also, it was only $25pp.

Edited by Greenymac
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Millennium and the Crab Lunch was also offered as a dinner at $45 per person.  It was indeed King Crab and it was good as was the Crab Bisque but the Crab Cakes were not good at all.  We also had King Crab in Seward and it was excellent.  I would have it locally if available and understand that it will be flash frozen during King Crab Season.  Also, don't be under the impression that you can get a second King Crab dinner for the one $45 price.  Unlike other specialty restaurants where you can get all you can eat, that is not the case with the Crab dinner.  Understand that the Crab could be limited and understand the policy as long as that is communicated before served and not when presented the bill for two $45 Crab dinners. 

• Like 1