Caribe deck balcony very forward of ship on the grand ships

rickadoo

We have booked c201 on the Golden. We also have a choice of c104,107,108,202,206I have read here that the inside cabins across from us can hear a lot in the Princess theater from a shared fire wall. I was wondering if anybody has stayed in any of these balcony cabins and can let me know the noise level. Thanks

Edited by rickadoo

I have not actually stayed in the cabins you mention, but from examining the deck plans notice that they are not directly above the theater. They are above mini suites on deck 9 and below balcony cabins on deck 11. The theater is on decks 6 and 7 and the stage is actually on deck 6. While it may be possible it's difficult to believe that any significant sound would travel 3 decks to deck 10. Also the theater shuts down around 11pm.

On an AK cruise out of San Francisco, we once booked cabin C202 on the Grand Princess which, I think is very similar to the Golden Princess.  I can report that we never heard anything from the decks below.

HOWEVER, [Humor Alert] at about 2:00 am on the first night

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Within milliseconds I was upright.  What the heck was that?

Foghorn.

The foghorn is off the bridge and, of course, that cabin is pretty far forward.

Once I realized what it was, I was OK. 

That was the only disturbance we encountered--and on an Alaska cruise in September, you might not be surprised by the fact that we heard the foghorn fairly often.

Now we, in fact, regularly cruise in the farthest forward cabin on the A Deck--A201 is our preferred cabin.  I guess that on the Ruby Princess and the Emerald Princess the foghorn is amidship.  We could barely hear it on those ships.

Edited by XBGuy

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I have not actually stayed in the cabins you mention, but from examining the deck plans notice that they are not directly above the theater. They are above mini suites on deck 9 and below balcony cabins on deck 11. The theater is on decks 6 and 7 and the stage is actually on deck 6. While it may be possible it's difficult to believe that any significant sound would travel 3 decks to deck 10. Also the theater shuts down around 11pm.

The 200 series inside cabins on Caribe deck are directly above the inner workings (sound and lighting rigs) of the Theater. Note the lack of interior cabins in that space on Emerald and Dolphin Decks--the mechanics do extend that high over the audience. Sound could definitely travel up that void to three decks above the Theater. As you say should be none after 10:30/11 PM but any daytime rehearsals could interfere with one's afternoon nap. For the OP's sake the balcony cabins are far less likely to be affected than the inside one would hope.

We’ve had cabins C107 and C108 on many a cruise and never heard anything from the Princess theater. Those are my go to cabins on a grand class ship as I love the Caribe balconies and they are far enough forward, to cut down on the foot traffic outside the cabin.

Beware of far forward cabins as we discovered the ONE TIME we booked a "guarantee" balcony aboard the Crown last year.  We were assigned on Caribe deck which we were thrilled about,  however the cabin was second behind the bridge and the first two days we got rough seas to the point where my wife did not want to walk up the our cabin one evening.  Imagine your floor rising up some 40' under your feet then dropping out from under you again.....not fun.  Learned our lesson that time,  we book the cabin we want......and midship or at least front midship works better.

We have actually had that same cabin (directly behind the bridge wing) on the Grand.  It was many years ago but I recall it was a very quiet cabin....helped by the fact that there is no foot traffic in the corridor since its essentially a dead end :).  As to the ship movement, DW and I have no issues with movement (I guess that makes us good sailors).  But the reality is that cabins that are far forward will certainly get the maximum impact in heavy swells when a ship does a lot of pitching.  

Hank