QM2 vs. QV

Neuhoftraveler

We've sailed on at least 10 cruises over the years, but only one Cunard cruise, a westbound TA on QM2 last year.  It was outstanding, so much so that we're inclined toward Cunard for our planned Norway fjords cruise next year.  Most of Cunard's Norway itineraries are on QV., though there is one on QM2 we are considering.  Would we be disappointed with QV by comparison?  I realize everyone's mileage varies on this sort of thing, but would appreciate any informed speculation.

Other, non-Cunard possibilities we are considering are Silver Spirit, Silver Wind, and Oceania's Marina.  Comparative comments from anyone who's sailed on those ships as well as Cunard's would be most welcome.

For the record, our non-Cunard cruises have been on Royal Clipper, Star Flyer, Windstar, Wind Surf, Regent Seven Seas Explorer, and Silversea's Silver Whisper.

Edited by Neuhoftraveler
mis-spelling

Hi, 

I recently have sailed aboard both ships (Queen Victoria in September 2018 and QM2 in April/May 2019). Of the current Cunard fleet, I have sailed on the QM2 seven times, Queen Victoria twice and Queen Elizabeth once.

Of course, the QM2 is the only ocean liner and is in a class by herself.  However, I have greatly enjoyed my cruises on the QV. The ship is not nearly as large as the QM2 (and lacks the high ceilings), but has many of the same features as the QM2 on a smaller scale. The QV is a very attractive ship with beautiful public areas. Also, I think the QV's Lido Restaurant is superior to the QM2's Kings Court. The QM2 is my favorite ship, but I certainly was not disappointed with the QV (or QE). All of the current Cunard ships have a similar style and atmosphere.

Chuck

If you are travelling in the Grills, I think you would find the QV preferable, as the restaurant is on a high deck and would be a wonderful location for admiring the fantastic scenery. Also the the Grills deck would be ideal for a almost a 360 degree view when cruising the fjords.

We have always enjoyed the QV, and having been on all 3 ships, is our first choice if the itinerary is what we want.

• Like 1

'Cunard' is my preferred cruise line 'after' Seabourn. And yes, Seabourn certainly has the edge over Silversea.

We like the smaller Seabourn ships, the fares which include all drinks and gratuities, staff who know your name, and bathrooms that have a bath and a walk in shower. We found the bathrooms terrible in QG where you have to climb into the bath to have a shower, especially worrisome for my elderly mother.

Edited by longton
Missed something

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We found the bathrooms terrible in QG where you have to climb into the bath to have a shower, especially worrisome for my elderly mother.

The QE and QV have separate showers as well as a bath in QG.

Correct! Lots of space in QG bathrooms for bath and separate shower enclosure.

perhaps Longton is thinking of Princess Grill🤔

Edited by turnip eater

Worst feature of QG in QM2 is that the deck where most of QG staterooms are located, Deck 9, has partially obstructed views of the sea and outside surroundings because of lifeboats hanging over and outside of Deck 8 below when you look out and down from windows or from sitting on balconies of your deck 9 stateroom. Why would anyone design and commission  a ship where the most expensive cabins have flawed views. No reduction for partially obstructed views either as on all other cruise lines. Just opposite - a premium. Yes, one does enjoy very fine food  in the superb and elite QG restaurant.  I have heard that QV and QE do not have this stateroom design flaw with QG cabins, so lesson learned.. Otherwise QM2 cabins are spacious and very nice. I agree QM2 bathrooms while large are poorly designed too because no separate stall shower and one has to step over and into tub/shower.  Old fashsioned,a nd a bit dangerous. Glad to hear QV and QE bathrooms  better designed.

13 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Not sure I agree with the comments about obstructions. Having travelled many times on all three ships in QG, I have no problem with the view from deck 9.

i73UUFaHvBmyoqWVIWA-KxYizUJ1OsOfRvxTKQGeTk1AA2Y7D7rDkbPUGl0Cmo5uBVe6W2CnDp-C6yLO0-Gt_M__bnWOhpJc4DA66xl4YRttM7vy8Cf9o-g8V28zMQbK5SoBWbEaGYbD9Ap8FskhhAD668XOmlTaY9mg3LWaPiQ0j7r4pMyoqDu2EEDhSPQHuJOrbM8cwiaJ3Jgw2ljyCL3u0c1QqtIWAONz9VkLI8YHzCyP7eqbrl-088PwNqKGUldLaBfV1S2tOL-kYAJWHcFzYAyK5Xo0wIGvV4Hpylft02fwe61pSs0q8YqGxOZY7PhsFl4vF5qxnLtN7ZYZBPYO0fshapaPZq_TMvOaxwE-IT1YA21HI8IS3fGW0pZCyN6jJUHK6sSRS7PLjD7an9uQ6k1jlkfQ7DZWXO56OVL3WtSrPk6lmgGiafvMrdPKFaSE26nXBOjL2VXrhUkm-O0ZIER9sL_hDoXIhqA6DzloX5R9G0Gr1tZ-xufN2oecqFt1CpyUvo7rvY4lh1z3198Z59HqMoIoqbue-qKg9MyoXhuF6wQljectjxc2RbQYcSSyL0hhBiFYYTVNlC5Ya0JSl9p4vEoJ84SwpsiM6gQtD548W28030wnB8F4JabBB59UnkJKW4hO6fQG_yT6CMzvIfhPZMQ=w293-h220-no

Stewart

I agree. While I think in almost all respects the QG facilities on the Vistas are more convenient, there is nothing wrong with the views from Deck 9 on QM2. The prom deck is partly obscured by lifeboats, but don't see this as a problem. 

Thank you for the photo. Please take a look behind and below you. What is that? You would not call that a lifeboat or two hanging from the ship off of Deck 8 below you but in your line of sight? And you would not consider that a partially obstructed view when you sit down on your balcony to enjoy the full scenic views from the ship straight out and below you to the water?  Well Cunard surely did because it never build another Queen like this with partially obstructed views for its highest paying customers. 

I prefer QM2 to the QV by a large margin because the public rooms are superior, especially the Chart Room which is exquisite on the QM2 and forgettable on the Victoria.  Also prefer the Commodore Club on QM2 to the CC on Vicky.  Also prefer the theater on QM2.  The QM2 is just more grand.  I hope the itinerary for the fjords is comparable for both ships.  Like others I adore Seabourn and will happily return with the right itinerary.  Finally, we had a great experience on the Oceania Marina, a truly beautiful ship full of  memorable art and with the best cuisine on the seas.  But alas, there are not many activities on Oceania ships.

My favourite Cunard ship is the Queen Elizabeth - Victoria is her “sister” but I prefer QE’s decor. I do prefer the outside spaces on QM2, which has real teak decking. However, I generally prefer the interiors on Elizabeth & Victoria, particularly the Britannia Restaurant which I find lighter and airier and the Commodore Club, which has the piano in the centre of the room and tables for two lined up around the windows. I also think the Lido is a nicer, lighter space with a more straightforward layout than Kings Court. QE & QV don’t have an equivalent venue to Illuminations, so you won’t find films scheduled as part of the evening entertainment.  The Queens Room on QE & QV is located mid ships on deck 2 - again I prefer it, but it is open on one side so you will have people walking past during concerts and afternoon tea as they move around the ship. However, if you sit on the far side I don’t find this too much of a distraction. 

The Britannia cabins on QV have a fixed head shower rather than one with a flexible hose but I think storage is better on them - there is a large, under bed draw. QV doesn’t have any balcony cabins with views obstructed by lifeboats either. 

Service style will be the same across all ships so if you prefer one of the QV itineraries to the QM2 option, then maybe trying the QV will offer the best of both: a cruise on Cunard through some stunning scenery. 

On 6/6/2019 at 6:10 PM, brittany12 said:

Thank you for the photo. Please take a look behind and below you. What is that? You would not call that a lifeboat or two hanging from the ship off of Deck 8 below you but in your line of sight? And you would not consider that a partially obstructed view when you sit down on your balcony to enjoy the full scenic views from the ship straight out and below you to the water?  Well Cunard surely did because it never build another Queen like this with partially obstructed views for its highest paying customers. 

You must be a very special customer.

By your method of thinking any deck above 7 is obstructed since the promenade blocks your view of the water.

• Haha 1

Just to clarify earlier comments. An unobstructed view  generally means that when one is looking straight outward or at an angle to the sea below, whether sitting or standing,  whether from one's cabin or balcony, there is nothing to even partially block or impede one's total view of not just the sky out and above, and sea views straight out but also views down at an angle to the sea areas closer to the ship. The photos show clearly the facts. The QM2 was built with the lifeboats on Deck 8 hanging over the side of the ship off of Deck 8. Not inside and flush with the ship's exterior perimeter wall itself, as on most modern ships, including the newer sisters the QV and the QE, and maybe this was because of its size, where this would not happen. Consequently nearly all the QM2 Deck 9 QG cabins, the premium cabins on the ship,  have a partially obstructed view because one inevitably sees the rather unattractive view of top parts of the lifeboats hanging off the ship on Deck 8 below when looking out from Deck 9 cabins and balconies.  If one sits, or even better stands, at the rail on one's Deck 9 balcony and looks out,  one will see at the bottom third of one's total vista more than just the tops of the lifeboats. People can find that view annoying or not, but these are the facts. If people want to spend serious QG money for this partially obstructed view from QM2 Deck 9,  particularly on a fine weather voyage where much time will be spend on one's balcony enjoying the vista, that's  each passenger's decision. Cunard must have recognized this problem when it designed the QV and the QE differently.  

The remaining benefits of the QG category, which are very substantial indeed, may outweigh this  design feature in the minds of some or even many. 

• Haha 1

I’m in a Deck 9 cabin at the moment. Have just been to look at the sea from the very nice balcony chair. Really can’t see the lifeboat was a problem, as I had a lovely view of the sea. They would impede my view of the pilot boat arriving I have to admit, but otherwise I find their presence comforting rather than annoying. Incidentally some may remember that on QE2 the lifeboats impinged quite seriously on the Q2 cabins.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, Bell Boy said:

'Seabourn', is my preferred cruise line 'after' Cunard.  Seabourn certainly has the edge over Silversea.

I'd certainly agree with you there Bell Boy.

Indeed, my barbed comment on leaving our Silversea cruise across the Pacific was that they should send their 'butlers' to Cunard for work experience.

Having said that of course 'our' preferred cruise line for the overall 'total' quality experience is now Happy-Lloyd...

824811285_FeaturedImage2.thumb.jpg.de07c539f301a390ded415b84e098c8d.jpg