Laundry Help!

Wendylet

I have in the past used the laundry service on a Celebrity sailing but have tried to be careful with items I include as most of my clothing does not go in the dryer.  It seems that everything is put in the dryer and returned folded. Would it be possible (or unusual) to request that items just be washed and then returned wet to be dried in our stateroom? Is it possible for just a few items in the  bag to be handled this way or would the whole bag have to be treated in this same manner? Not even sure this is a good idea given you would need to be there when it is returned or you might have a wet soggy mess greet you upon your return! Advice or experience?

Edited by Wendylet

Your laundry is washed with that of many others on the ship.  Not realistic to have someone sort through hundreds of wet items to retrieve yours before placing the load in the dryer.  

In the past, I've asked (written in on the laundry form) that something be washed in cold water and dried "cool" and it came back fine, with check marks beside my instructions on the form. Your mileage may vary, but it's probably worth a try. I don't think they'd return something wet, and I think you'd probably need to handle all clothes in the bag the same way (eg: they all require a cold wash, cool dry). Good luck!

• Thanks 1

You can try to put in special requests but don't be surprised if they aren't honored.  I wouldn't ever send anything  that I was especially fond of to their laundry with a special request.  They do find with socks and underwear and plain clothing but anything with bedazzled-style embellishments are iffy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for your help. I was so busy packing I just had a minute now to respond. Looks like I will be taking a bit of laundry soap with me and doing it as needed. Appreciate the information!

This question was asked a couple of weeks ago.  If there is some item you are concerned about. I would not send it with your other clothes.  How about paying for a dry clean?  That is the route I would take.  If it is really valuable, I would leave the item at home.  

I bring a scrubba bag, found out about it in a youtube video.    I pack enough for 5 days and have done 12 night cruises..   I have super magnets and a bungee clothes line I bought from amazon.   I string it just in the opening of the balcony on inside of cabin and open door...clothes dry in an hour.  Laundry service uses harsh chemicals and fades my clothes and I don't like the feel after.

• Like 3

We only have washed underwear and inexpensive polo shirts- all "good" clothes come home with us and then I either wash them or give to dry cleaners.  Used the ships dry cleaners if urgent, without any problems.

I hate leaving ship and looking up and seeing clothes drying on balconies, looks horrible.  Not to mention that sometimes, depending upon the location of your cabin, the clothes actually get soot from the ship.  Tacky!    Best to bring extra clothes.  Hang swim suites in your bathroom.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, crash3x said:

I bring a scrubba bag, found out about it in a youtube video.    I pack enough for 5 days and have done 12 night cruises..   I have super magnets and a bungee clothes line I bought from amazon.   I string it just in the opening of the balcony on inside of cabin and open door...clothes dry in an hour.  Laundry service uses harsh chemicals and fades my clothes and I don't like the feel after.

Would love to hear about your experience with Scrubba bag.  Just bought one and going to do some practice runs before we leave.  We believe in packing light and have no shame about laundry on the balcony.  It's vacation...

On 6/7/2019 at 4:59 AM, crash3x said:

I bring a scrubba bag

Looks like a great idea. I have a couple questions. We pack a lot of polos and long-sleeve, button up shirts for dinners. I wash all of these in the washer at home, but the polos all go in a mesh laundry bag for protection in the machine as they can sometimes snag. Would you feel comfortable washing these in a Scrubba? I'm just curious how easy it is on the clothes, especially those of higher value or that require just a tad more care. 

It sounds like a great way to manage the number of socks, delicates, etc we pack. But I'm curious about the larger items! 

38 minutes ago, atwinhusen said:

Would love to hear about your experience with Scrubba bag.  Just bought one and going to do some practice runs before we leave.  We believe in packing light and have no shame about laundry on the balcony.  It's vacation...

I have a scrubba used it once. I could have given it to you except I dislike looking down from my balcony to see someone’s underwear spread around the balcony or blowing in the breeze.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyingAnchor said:

Looks like a great idea. I have a couple questions. We pack a lot of polos and long-sleeve, button up shirts for dinners. I wash all of these in the washer at home, but the polos all go in a mesh laundry bag for protection in the machine as they can sometimes snag. Would you feel comfortable washing these in a Scrubba? I'm just curious how easy it is on the clothes, especially those of higher value or that require just a tad more care. 

It sounds like a great way to manage the number of socks, delicates, etc we pack. But I'm curious about the larger items! 

I wash everything I put in the washer I can do in my scrubba...even at home If I have a small load of whites I wash instead of using my machine...the trick is afterwards I put small amounts into a spare salad spinner to get excess water out that I can't do ringing it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atwinhusen said:

I use my scrubba at home and away..I love it.  Just last night I washed 2 white work blouses so I did have to use the machine,.....I use a micro fiber towel  or a salad spinner ( only used for laundry) to get out excess water and hang or through in dryer for 20 mins so I can iron and be done for the day.  I convinced my sister to get one for her rv and now she loves it.

Are there any self-service laundry rooms on Celebrity ships?  I looked at the deck plans for Eclipse but I didn't see any.  I know on Princess they do have laundry rooms with washers/dryers and irons, and they're very convenient and easy to use.  It would be great if Celebrity had the same thing.

No, there are no self-service laundry rooms on any Celebrity ship. And some think that’s just fine and others who wish they had them. Me? I do laundry at sea by packing it into some bag they give me, putting it on our bed, and a day or so later, there it is! Love it. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:55 AM, Wendylet said:

I have in the past used the laundry service on a Celebrity sailing but have tried to be careful with items I include as most of my clothing does not go in the dryer.  It seems that everything is put in the dryer and returned folded. Would it be possible (or unusual) to request that items just be washed and then returned wet to be dried in our stateroom? Is it possible for just a few items in the  bag to be handled this way or would the whole bag have to be treated in this same manner? Not even sure this is a good idea given you would need to be there when it is returned or you might have a wet soggy mess greet you upon your return! Advice or experience?

I always write my requirements on the top of the laundry list, as part of a mixed load

e.g. not to wash whites and darks together, don't starch the shirts, do not tumble dry the green sports shirt

I don't rely on my butler or common sense ----sorry!

Never had a problem once I've done this.

I have had a shirt badly frayed by the machinery once and on another occasion I received a thong ----which I hoped was returned to the lady in question!