I won my bid...

pwhite19

Hello. I won my bid to upgrade to the Haven on the Escape.  I have been researching what comes with the Haven, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Also, how much are you expected to tip the butler and concierge?  Are they the only ones that require tipping outside of the charges I already paid?  Thanks for your help....

1 hour ago, pwhite19 said:

Hello. I won my bid to upgrade to the Haven on the Escape.  I have been researching what comes with the Haven, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Also, how much are you expected to tip the butler and concierge?  Are they the only ones that require tipping outside of the charges I already paid?  Thanks for your help....

Tipping is very personal and depends on how much you use them.

btw this subject is very controversial here... be prepared.

there are several posts about this topic, you can search them

Congratulations, how far before your cruise were you notified?   I think you'll get a lot of varied response on how much to tip.  We were in the Haven a couple of years ago and I think the butler and concierge were the only ones for tipping. We always have a lot of  one dollar bills for bartenders and drink service. 

Edited by baflagg
  • Like 1

Congrats!  The Haven will be quite a treat.  Don't let people guilt you into tipping outrageous amounts.  I tipped my butler a modest amount (by no means $10 - $15 per day), as she only restocked my Nespresso pods and brought daily snacks.  I only asked for her assistance one time and had room service one time.  I tipped the steward more because he was the one doing all the work.  

Congrats!  When people ask...

Butler $10-$15 per person in room per days of cruise. 

Concierge $5-$10 per person per day

Steward an extra $5-$10 per person per day to service your suite. 

Request bowls of M&Ms (plain or peanut), gummy bears, and bar mix or chips. Have a ziplock to collect st night. 

In addition to. The default snack of the afternoon, order special thing you want. 

Ignore the check boxes on the breakfast cards and write what you want from the Haven restaurant menu. Eggs over easy, egg white omelet with tomato and spinach, filet steak, bacon, ham, sausage, fresh fruit, breads, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, juice and a Diet Pepsi  

There are two links below. The first is from the Escape in April for menus and such. The second is from the Escape last year with a Haven upgrade

ED0C3439-267A-486C-923C-E4BEE9DC1844.jpeg

6 hours ago, pwhite19 said:

Tipping depends on how  much you use them and what for. Most people rarely use the butler or concierge, but tend to over tip just because they  are available.

13 hours ago, pwhite19 said:

pwhite19. WELCOME to CRUISE CRITIC!!!

What a great way to start on Cruise Critic. Many will want to know amount you bid, what you originally booked and when you are sailing. 

Have a Great Cruise.

I never tip per day. Depending on how much I have used them or they have done things fir me, I have tipped concierge anywhere from $50 to $125, but usually $50-75 since I have only asked fir a couple of dinner reservations. Butler usually $100 because I ask for a few things including room service. steward around $70 for a week in a suite.  Plus or minus. Some people pay way less, some way more.  Do what you feel comfortable with. 

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, pwhite19 said:

There is no 'expected' tip.  Decide who you want to tip and how much you want to tip them, then go for it.  No one 'requires' a tip.

First time in a suite, followed BirdTravels' guidelines, tipped the butler $180, concierge and steward $100 each.  We had sent a letter in advance requesting several things including setting up a bon voyage toast/party in our suite which was to occur less than 2 hours after boarding, obviously a busy time for them.  Contrary to what you might hear on Cruise Critic they did everything we asked for in the letter.  We had special order breakfasts served mosts mornings.  The concierge helped with priority tendering for our family group, 6 of which were not in suites.  Service was excellent.

16 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

First time in a suite, followed BirdTravels' guidelines, tipped the butler $180, concierge and steward $100 each.  We had sent a letter in advance requesting several things including setting up a bon voyage toast/party in our suite which was to occur less than 2 hours after boarding, obviously a busy time for them.  Contrary to what you might hear on Cruise Critic they did everything we asked for in the letter.  We had special order breakfasts served mosts mornings.  The concierge helped with priority tendering for our family group, 6 of which were not in suites.  Service was excellent.

That's great to hear. Where did you send this letter?? Just curious. I'm thinking a private sail away party on our Aft Haven suite balcony would amazing! 

We were in the Haven on the Bliss a week ago. We tipped the butler $160 and the room steward $60. We didn't tip the concierge, as we didn't request any special services. We asked the butler for peanut M&Ms, potato chips, bar mix and chocolate covered strawberries. He kept us well stocked all week. We also ordered room service breakfast twice and lunch once.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, baflagg said:

Congratulations, how far before your cruise were you notified?   I think you'll get a lot of varied response on how much to tip.  We were in the Haven a couple of years ago and I think the butler and concierge were the only ones for tipping. We always have a lot of  one dollar bills for bartenders and drink service. 

I found out last Thursday and we sale a week from today

19 hours ago, phissy said:

pwhite19. WELCOME to CRUISE CRITIC!!!

What a great way to start on Cruise Critic. Many will want to know amount you bid, what you originally booked and when you are sailing. 

Have a Great Cruise.

I bid just around 1000 and I started out with a mini suite, I am excited for this room, I hope it is all everyone says it is.....

1 hour ago, Sup_Devil said:

That's great to hear. Where did you send this letter?? Just curious. I'm thinking a private sail away party on our Aft Haven suite balcony would amazing! 

About 45 days out, you should receive a letter something like this:

image.thumb.png.6188a67c2b55f4d546161306

• Thanks 1