Excursion Recommendations

goody2shoes3012

My husband and I are going on our first cruise to Alaska and we want to make sure we don't miss out on any must see/do activities! We are both in our early 30s and are fairly active. We like to actually "do" things, as opposed to just taking a tour if that makes sense. We are doing the dog sledding on Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. We are looking for something to book for Ketchikan and Skagway. I have gone through the first 10 pages of topics and I am still stumped lol

Thanks in advance for your help!

We just got back from Alaska yesterday. I highly recommend the Saxman Native Village Totem trip in Ketchikan. You visit a real Tlingit Village. See a Totem workshop where they are creating new totems. See villagers dance in their clan house. Learn a lot of their history and meet  some great people and see some impressive totems. As a sewer, I really enjoyed talking to a woman who creates their native dress. Was a trip highlight for us. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a lot older than you, but I think the same way.  You need to get out there and enjoy “doing” Alaska.  Some active excursions you might like are the Southeast Kayaks in Ketchikan and the free hikes to Lower or Upper Dewey Lake and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway.  

If your dog sledding is canceled for weather in Juneau, my daughter went on this all day glacier trek with Above and Beyond Alaska last week and had a wonderful time.  I went with same outfit doing the all day kayak tour ( although a different route at that time ) and it was great, too.

https://beyondak.com/trips/mendenhall-glacier-trek/

• Thanks 1

If the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is one of your available tours, I would recommend that.  Boat ride to a picnic area, short bus ride on what I would call trails, not a road, short hike, paddle a 20 person canoe to the bottom of Davidson Glacier, and hike a half mile to the face of the glacier.  It was my favorite excursion on the cruise.

We were in Skagway and Ketchican last week. We hiked Upper Dewey in Skagway. Loved it. Favorite hike in Alaska. It took us 5 hours roundtrip. In Ketchican, we took a cab (as others recommended) when we got off the boat to the trailhead of Deer Mountain. . Hiked and walked back into town. The bugs came out in Ketchican - first time we saw them in our 2 weeks! If I were choosing one to hike again it would be Upper Dewey. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

If you have a day to spend in Seward, there is a 5 mile hike (round trip, I believe) to Caine's Head. It is listed as one of Alaska's top ten hikes. The trail head is on the outskirts of town, a taxi ride away. The trail follows the coast line, and you cross a creek that has salmon spawns, depending on the time of year. July-August is the time for reds (sockeye) to spawn. 

Here is a video interview I did with Murray Lundburg, and he is a retired tour guide, and he has also been a guest lecturer for most of the cruise lines that sail in Alaska, and we discuss 5 different ports and what he recommends for new cruisers and for experienced cruisers.