All Inclusive??

tnt10

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find a search feature on these new boards!!

Could someone please explain the perks staying in a suite on the Star Legend?

Thank you in advance for your help....

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

None, all rooms are suites.

Search feature is up on the right side; looks like a magnifying glass.

This is not true, although WS does use that term for all of them. In the old configuration there are 4 "Classic Suites" and 2 "Owners Suites". These are true multi-room suites, not just a larger cabin coined "suited".

After the stretch job there will more, including a "Grand Owners Suite" which looks to be an owners suite combined with two regular suites (also sold separately).

Just because you call something a "suite" it doesn't mean it is- all of the accommodations I list above are actually suites.

To the OP - as far as I can tell the "perks" are much more space, a true separation of the bedroom, in most cases a terrace you can walk out onto instead of a French Balcony. I'll report back, we're in an "Owner's Suite" on Edinburgh/Dublin in a few weeks. Long story involving a flash sale when we were utterly relaxed in French Polynesia. The sale came with all sorts of bennies and a real price reduction. Shhh, Mrs. Milepig doesn't know.

53 minutes ago, milepig said:

This is not true, although WS does use that term for all of them. In the old configuration there are 4 "Classic Suites" and 2 "Owners Suites". These are true multi-room suites, not just a larger cabin coined "suited".

After the stretch job there will more, including a "Grand Owners Suite" which looks to be an owners suite combined with two regular suites (also sold separately).

Just because you call something a "suite" it doesn't mean it is- all of the accommodations I list above are actually suites.

To the OP - as far as I can tell the "perks" are much more space, a true separation of the bedroom, in most cases a terrace you can walk out onto instead of a French Balcony. I'll report back, we're in an "Owner's Suite" on Edinburgh/Dublin in a few weeks. Long story involving a flash sale when we were utterly relaxed in French Polynesia. The sale came with all sorts of bennies and a real price reduction. Shhh, Mrs. Milepig doesn't know.

The space, separation ands verandah are not perks. They are the layout and configuration of a particular suite. Perks are things like butlers, OBC, early booking dates for alternative restaurants etc.

15 minutes ago, wripro said:

The space, separation ands verandah are not perks. They are the layout and configuration of a particular suite. Perks are things like butlers, OBC, early booking dates for alternative restaurants etc.

I that, but when you're essentially paying the price of a regular cabin, I'll call them perks.

On the Windstar motor vessels, it has seemed to me, when going to sit and read on the foredeck, that those premium suites may have extra foot traffic outside their doors, and some noise from the jacuzzi.

Never having stayed in one, can someone who has, comment on my speculation?

We stayed in a Classic Suite on an Alaska sailing last June. Never had any noise from the hallway.  Most people don't even know it's there and the jacuzzi was only used by some hardy northerners. People were out there a lot though as the sightseeing was extraordinary. We even had the Coast Guard airlift a sick passenger off the bow directly in front if us. The suite is lovely and spacious, very private. It was too cold to sit out on the little balcony but imagine in the Caribbean or Costa Rica it would be lovely. 

While we have not stayed in any of those suites, we have stayed near them and they are very quiet as not to many people go out front as it can be windy on sea days (although the jacuzzi is sheltered) and on port days, there is usually lots of room by the pool. We used the bow jacuzzi several times and never really encountered a lot of people. Although there is no bar,  they usually leave a cooler of non alcoholic beverages. Sometimes waiter would drop by for an order.

Jim and I were very happy in an owner's suite last summer aboard the Star Pride on its Midnight Sun cruise out of Edinburgh to Iceland via Norway and the Faroes. The only perk is being ushered into a very nice area and being checked in separately from other guests. There was a lovely bouquet in the suite but I don't know if others received same. Perk or not, lovely.

The suite is, as indicated above, a true suite, around 640sq.ft. The outside deck was furnished with table, two chairs, and two sun loungers. The living room is very comfortable with good seating. Extra half bath. We probably spend more time in iur duite than do ithers; playing chess or scrabble, reading, gawking at the views from our deck. A couple of times sea gulls befowled our windows so the steward cleaned the windows to spotless.

Suite was very quiet, never any noise. Hot tub in use at times but we suffered no discomfort therefore.

In just about a month we'll board the Star Pride in Vancouver for an Alaska cruise, once again in an owner's suite. Very excited!

Edited by OctoberKat

Windstar is not all inclusive.  You buy what you want. There are some booking promos that do include some nice features. Any cruise 14+ days includes free laundry.  On one cruise, I got a choice of free gratuities, $400 OBC, or beverage package.  The usual is you pay for what you want. It can get expensive.  

I certainly hope WS keeps it not inclusive, i worry about that. I would resent paying for something I do not want/need.

We are very light drinkers, never use WIFI it is our way of getting away from it all, have no interest 99% of the time touring with large groups of people on a bus. We do love the laundry. We use WS for our travels which we adore but I like to do my own research for off the ship. I develop my tours in our likes it is always art heavy and the obscure with a bent on history. I hope the powers to be keep it the same, develop the offers but not inclusive. 

• Like 1

On my most recent cruise on Star Breeze, I was anxious about not having WiFi. I use to everywhere. However,, buying it on Windstar is extremely high.   It would have been nice especially when we had our itinerary changed. We did find free WiFi in most ports. Most cruise lines and hotels now include free WiFi.  

Wi-Fi prices are high but they are not a huge cruise line so I imagine the billing that they pay for services is up there.  It would be a lovely perk for Yacht Club members who sail often.  One of the onboard sales agents last year said there were big changes coming for "frequent" guests but haven't heard anything else about that. Wi-Fi would be my choice of perk for sure.  We're also not big drinkers, get laundry as most of our sailings are more than 14 days or not that expensive anyhow, and I prefer booking my own tours.  Just not a bus person!  On long sailings trips Wi-Fi is a "must" to make sure bills are paid, house didn't burn down, and family okay.  We are so busy in ports that I hate taking the time to find a spot to sit down and connect; would much rather do that on the ship early in the morning over a 2nd cup of coffee.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, sb44 said:

Wi-Fi prices are high but they are not a huge cruise line so I imagine the billing that they pay for services is up there.  It would be a lovely perk for Yacht Club members who sail often.  One of the onboard sales agents last year said there were big changes coming for "frequent" guests but haven't heard anything else about that. Wi-Fi would be my choice of perk for sure.  We're also not big drinkers, get laundry as most of our sailings are more than 14 days or not that expensive anyhow, and I prefer booking my own tours.  Just not a bus person!  On long sailings trips Wi-Fi is a "must" to make sure bills are paid, house didn't burn down, and family okay.  We are so busy in ports that I hate taking the time to find a spot to sit down and connect; would much rather do that on the ship early in the morning over a 2nd cup of coffee.

So nice to hear that "frequent" guests will be acknowledged in some way, sb44. Long in coming, but will be much appreciated. I agree that on long voyages WIFI would be a real asset. However, there would have to be some improvements made on the WIFI reception....very slow. We like the laundry package, seems to be included on longer trips, and an additional perk for "frequent" guests would be ideal!  Bring it on Windstar!

I don't really mean that it is not worth the money, but the Windstar Wifi I've paid for has been slow and intermittent. As another noted, my T-Mobile free data was often sufficient. But you do get annoying warnings from T-Mobile when you take advantage of it, and you have to avoid the OnWaves boat-cell which is not included in your plan.

To put that another way, if you are near a developed shore, the phone data is not significantly different (I mean in speed and frustration level ... ) from the WiFi option.