Recommended must do's between Miami and Tampa

mattR

It depends on your route. If you are taking Tamiami Trail or I-75, you could do an airboat tour in the Everglades. Or you could get off of I-75 in Sarasota and head out to St. Armands Circle for great food at Columbia Restaurant and a walk out on Lido or Longboat Key Beach. 

If going I-95 to I-4, well...my condolences...but you might see one or two things to entertain the family when passing through Orlando.

Didn't have a plan on which Hyw to take but was looking at I-75 looks like it might be an interesting drive.  How long should I plan on that drive taking on Sunday Jan 5th?

I don't know why you'd take I-95 to I-4 to get to Tampa from Miami. 🤔

Anyway, Miami to Tampa via I-75 is again about a 4-hour drive. January 5 might be a tricky travel day, though, because people who have taken the week off for New Year's could be on the roads to return home for work on January 6. I'd budget extra time to be safe. Hitting one of the west coast beaches is a nice idea, although it could be chilly (but maybe not for a Canadian 😁).

YA I think us Canadians will be fine with the temp:)  Is there a west coast beach you would recommended?   2 big malls I will have my 16 year old daughter with me so that may be something to do or avoid:)  

1 hour ago, mattR said:

YA I think us Canadians will be fine with the temp:)  Is there a west coast beach you would recommended?   2 big malls I will have my 16 year old daughter with me so that may be something to do or avoid:)  

There are some really gorgeous beaches south of Tampa - Venice Beach (and watching dolphin and boats from the jetty there), Nokomis Beach (on the north side of the Venice jetty), Siesta Key (repeatedly ranked one of the best in the U.S.), Lido Beach, Longboat, Anna Maria...

Really, you just can't go wrong with the beaches from Venice all the way to the north end of Anna Maria Island. 

• 1 month later...

In Tampa, we love Ybor City - Cigars, restaurants, and culture.  Eat at the Columbia.

In Miami, we love Little Havana - did a food and walking tour that was wonderful.

If you are taking Tamiami, then it's great for airboats as well as the can't miss Skunk Ape Research Headquarters.  If you take I75, you'll not see much of anything until you get to Tampa unless you feel like jumping off in Naples.

If you want to have an obnoxious alligator experience and see more of old Florida, you could also take US27 and stop at Gatorama for an hour or two.  It's right along the way as the cut over to Tampa is right past Gatorama.  Feed alligators, hold alligators, be surrounded by alligators.  Plus some other wildlife. It's seriously awesome.  Believe it or not, going this route only adds about 20 - 30 minutes to the drive and Gatorama is right about half way, so it'll split he drive perfectly.

Personally, that's the route I would take and stop at Gatorama.  It's an easy drive, relaxed, US27 has no traffic and you can often see gators in the canals on the side of the road which can keep the kids entertained.  Also drive through some old Florida towns.  It's a MUCH more interesting drive than I75 for sure.  If you go this way, plan to stop for lunch (if you are hungry) in Clewiston.  Some authentic Mexican places (tons of Mexican laborers in that area) as well as fast food options.

If you go this way, it'll take you right smack to Sarasota/Siesta Key as well to check out the beaches.  Or as another poster said, Tampa/Ybor is pretty awesome.  Tampa has the riverwalk you may want to check out Armature Works for lunch/food which is an awesome public market with all kinds of vendors.

Edited by BNBR

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, BNBR said:

If you are taking Tamiami, then it's great for airboats as well as the can't miss Skunk Ape Research Headquarters.  If you take I75, you'll not see much of anything until you get to Tampa unless you feel like jumping off in Naples.

If you want to have an obnoxious alligator experience and see more of old Florida, you could also take US27 and stop at Gatorama for an hour or two.  It's right along the way as the cut over to Tampa is right past Gatorama.  Feed alligators, hold alligators, be surrounded by alligators.  Plus some other wildlife. It's seriously awesome.  Believe it or not, going this route only adds about 20 - 30 minutes to the drive and Gatorama is right about half way, so it'll split he drive perfectly.

Personally, that's the route I would take and stop at Gatorama.  It's an easy drive, relaxed, US27 has no traffic and you can often see gators in the canals on the side of the road which can keep the kids entertained.  Also drive through some old Florida towns.  It's a MUCH more interesting drive than I75 for sure.  If you go this way, plan to stop for lunch (if you are hungry) in Clewiston.  Some authentic Mexican places (tons of Mexican laborers in that area) as well as fast food options.

If you go this way, it'll take you right smack to Sarasota/Siesta Key as well to check out the beaches.  Or as another poster said, Tampa/Ybor is pretty awesome.  Tampa has the riverwalk you may want to check out Armature Works for lunch/food which is an awesome public market with all kinds of vendors.

Nice to see your recommendation of US-27.  We'll be driving from NOLA to the Keys next winter, and as we aren't in a hurry, planned to incorporate US-27 into the route :classic_smile:  Have driven 1-75 and I-95 plenty, so was looking for something different.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Nice to see your recommendation of US-27.  We'll be driving from NOLA to the Keys next winter, and as we aren't in a hurry, planned to incorporate US-27 into the route :classic_smile:  Have driven 1-75 and I-95 plenty, so was looking for something different.

US27 is great.   Just be very mindful of the speed limits approaching the small towns.  The drive is far more interesting than the major highways.  We are up and down it almost weekly 🙂

On 6/13/2019 at 12:40 AM, mattR said:

Didn't have a plan on which Hyw to take but was looking at I-75 looks like it might be an interesting drive.  How long should I plan on that drive taking on Sunday Jan 5th?

Add an hour on to any time quotes you get.

That week is insane all over the state from  Orlando South.

We spend a lot of time in Sarasota and a drive that usually takes us three hours takes four because traffic is so heavy.  I75 will be bumper to bumper.  Getting on and off the West Coast barrier islands will be a nightmare that week.

I would stop for lunch waterfront at Harpoon Harrys in Punta Gorda.  It's really cool, waterfront, has good food, and you will not spend an hour getting on and off I75.

http://harpoonharrys.com/