Venice Hotel Recommendations

caral2004

The Cipriani.  Wonderful hotel - and they have hotel based private water taxis so you can get to wherever you want to really easily. Centrally located but not overly buzzy.  (Nice food too!)

But wherever you choose it is helpful if they have either a land or water taxi option from the airport.  Getting bags through the streets is all but impossible IMO.  I like the San Marco district if we're only there for a few days - but if you want somewhere quieter I'd suggest the Dosoduro.  Close enough to still be easier access but slightly out of the main busy areas.  If you just want peace and quiet and don't mind a commute back into Venice try Burano.

Venice is very small ..... regardless of which area you stay, you're never far from the sights, either by foot or by vaporetto,   

The biggest concern for most people is managing their luggage over bridges and uneven paths.  If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere.  If you can't, you might want to stay near the Piazzale Roma, which is the last area accessible by car .... it's where taxis and buses drop off passengers arriviing from the airport.  There are 4 or 5 hotels near P Roma.  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Another option would be to stay near an Alilaguna stop or at a hotel with a dock so you can arrive by water taxi.

I travel with one wheeled case so getting to my hotel/apt is never an issue.   Since you are staying for 3 nites you might want to look into an apt .... they're usually cheaper and having a litle kitchen for snacks and bfast is nice. 

Without knowing your luggage situation or your budget, it's hard to make a specific recommendation. And do you need an elevator ?  Look thru this site ; lots of useful info:  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for the recommendations! I feel like luggage is going to be our biggest issue - we are combining several trips into one, so we are packing heavier than usual for us, but definitely keeping in mind we need to stay small and light for maneuvering. 

I've been trying to do my research, it's looking like we might be better off staying off the island. Doesn't sound like we are going to need 5 days to see Venice, so we might catch a train to visit another relatively close city as well.

It all depends on your budget.  Venice is magical. Also crowded and expensive.  You could spend a month there We found 3 whole days to be ideal.  Ca’ Angeli was a very good, accessible small hotel.  On the grand canal and steps from the water taxi dock. If you have a lot of luggage and want to be away from Piazzal Roma, water taxis are the way to go for arrival and departure.

We just returned from Italy.  In Venice, we decided to stay just outside Venice, in Venice Mestre.  It was a quick bus ride into Venice, & from the bus stop in Venice, we could take the Vaporetto to any point in Venice, Murano, Burano, etc.  The  bus stops right in front of the hotel where we stayed.  Hilton Garden Inn.  It’s very modern, very clean.  In that respect it does not meet your criterion of something vintage, but we were happy with our decision.  Also, the airport is just a 15 minute ride.  Just an alternative to consider............

On 4/30/2019 at 9:24 PM, aaalynn1 said:

I have a few questions as well. Although this post has helped me some, Im still not sure where to stay.  We disembark in the morning and are staying in Venice for two days.  I think I will take your advice and stay somewhere in Venice that is on a canal and the atmosphere is traditional or vintage. Would the hotel be able to hold our luggage while we explore during the day? Do most hotels provide a water taxi to the airport?

We think we will do our own thing and just get lost in the city. Walking, taking gondola rides, getting gelato, searching for the best coffee and finding a romantic dinner place. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but hope to find something priced around 150-180. 

• Like 1

For those looking to stay close to the pier, look at the Hotel Olimpia.  Based on reviews on these boards, we booked it for our night prior to embarkation in November 2019.  It is on a canal, but also one of the closer hotels to the Piazzale Roma, and the people mover.  It got great reviews in TripAdvisor, and the rates were quite good!  Since Venice is so compact, we decided to stay on this side since we would not have to worry about dragging our luggage.  If it is as good as it looks, I will post something upon our return.

https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

9 hours ago, DENIE said:

For those looking to stay close to the pier, look at the Hotel Olimpia.  Based on reviews on these boards, we booked it for our night prior to embarkation in November 2019.  It is on a canal, but also one of the closer hotels to the Piazzale Roma, and the people mover.  It got great reviews in TripAdvisor, and the rates were quite good!  Since Venice is so compact, we decided to stay on this side since we would not have to worry about dragging our luggage.  If it is as good as it looks, I will post something upon our return.

Thanks, Denie, for posting this suggestion for Hotel Olimpia.  I have this room booked for a couple of pre-cruise days.  The location is great because it allowed us to book a sedan pick-up from the airport with drop-off at Piazalle Roma.  We need only take a few steps, cross one bridge with our luggage and we're at the hotel.  This was an especially good location for us because we are booked on an early, 7:30 a.m. train to Rome on the 3rd day and I see that it is a very short walk with our luggage to the train station.  I, too, plan to post a review once we return from our trip (or, perhaps, even during our trip).  Actually, we'll be there before you and will be able to tell you all about it.  Enjoy your stay! 

2 hours ago, Scubadoobie2 said:

I see that it is a very short walk with our luggage to the train station. 

It IS a short walk, less than 10 minutes,  but the Calatrava bridge over the Grand Canal might be brutal if you have a lot of luggage.   There's a small photo of the bridge in the first paragraph of this article.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

The steps are shallow which means you can drag your luggage along behind you,  but since they ARE shallow there are a lot more of them.

If you walk a little further down the Canal, there's another bridge that leads directly to the train station. You might want to check it out beforehand and see which one looks easier to you.  It's not quite as long but has deeper steps.

no, there's a small canal between the hotel and the Piazzale Roma so you will have to cross one small bridge.

Whether you take a cab for 45E or take the ATVO express bus for 8e pp you will be dropped at Piazzale Roma. From there it's less than a 5 minute walk to the Olimpia.  

If you can't manage a small bridge, I think there are 3 hotels that don't require a bridge crossing; Santa Chiara, Ca Doge, Marriott.   Look at the link in reply #3 to verify.

11 hours ago, Scubadoobie2 said:

Thanks, Denie, for posting this suggestion for Hotel Olimpia.  I have this room booked for a couple of pre-cruise days.  The location is great because it allowed us to book a sedan pick-up from the airport with drop-off at Piazalle Roma.  We need only take a few steps, cross one bridge with our luggage and we're at the hotel.  This was an especially good location for us because we are booked on an early, 7:30 a.m. train to Rome on the 3rd day and I see that it is a very short walk with our luggage to the train station.  I, too, plan to post a review once we return from our trip (or, perhaps, even during our trip).  Actually, we'll be there before you and will be able to tell you all about it.  Enjoy your stay!  

You bet, Scubadoobie2!

Look forward to hearing what you thought about it.  I see we are neighbors - you are in Vegas?  We are in Scottsdale, AZ.  You enjoy your stay as well.  It looks like the kind of place we would love to stay for 3 or 4 days!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, zamabehr said:

Thanks for the recommendations! I feel like luggage is going to be our biggest issue - we are combining several trips into one, so we are packing heavier than usual for us, but definitely keeping in mind we need to stay small and light for maneuvering. 

I've been trying to do my research, it's looking like we might be better off staying off the island. Doesn't sound like we are going to need 5 days to see Venice, so we might catch a train to visit another relatively close city as well.

We stayed in an AirBNB near the Canal. It was charming and perfect. Made us feel Italian! 

As as far as luggage, there are porters you can hire with carts that will move your bags over the many steps and cobblestones pathways. We saw them as my poor husband dragged 3 suitcases while I pushed/carried 2 kids. Next time we will find those guys! 

We stayed several days a few years ago at the Hotel Antiche Figure. It's right on the Grand Canal and right across from the train station. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Yes, we walked a lot but that's half of the fun in Venice. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, DENIE said:

On 6/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, Scubadoobie2 said:

@DENIE @Scubadoobie2 I've been doing some research on hotels in Venice, and am also looking at Olimpia hotel.  I found this walking video to the hotel, which gives a wonderful view of what the walk would be like...

Walking to Hotel Olimpia

9 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

@DENIE @Scubadoobie2 I've been doing some research on hotels in Venice, and am also looking at Olimpia hotel.  I found this walking video to the hotel, which gives a wonderful view of what the walk would be like...

Walking to Hotel Olimpia

From the bus drop off it is a short walk with just the one bridge (as shown in the video).  There are not to many stairs on the bridge... about 15 up and down; not a big problem for most people with one piece of wheeled luggage.  My sister stayed at the Olimpia and we stayed at Hotel Arlecchino, which is the first hotel you see on the video after crossing the bridge.  It was very good and I think it is affiliated with the Olimpia.  Getting to people mover is simply retracing your steps and an easy walk.

13 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

From the bus drop off it is a short walk with just the one bridge (as shown in the video).  There are not to many stairs on the bridge... about 15 up and down; not a big problem for most people with one piece of wheeled luggage.  My sister stayed at the Olimpia and we stayed at Hotel Arlecchino, which is the first hotel you see on the video after crossing the bridge.  It was very good and I think it is affiliated with the Olimpia.  Getting to people mover is simply retracing your steps and an easy walk.

Was the process of getting to the port via the people mover rather simple with luggage?  

30 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Was the process of getting to the port via the people mover rather simple with luggage?  

Oh yes.  Other than the few bridge stairs not a lot unlike moving around an airport.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Walking to Hotel Olimpia

Hey, Shadow!  Thank you so much for telling us about this video.  It's great.  Without it I probably would have crossed that 1st stone bridge and gotten myself all turned around and confused.  LOL.  

7 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Walking to Hotel Olimpia

Shadow9612 - this is an awesome video!  Thanks for sending it.  I am loving our hotel selection at the moment!

6 hours ago, Scubadoobie2 said:

Hey, Shadow!  Thank you so much for telling us about this video.  It's great.  Without it I probably would have crossed that 1st stone bridge and gotten myself all turned around and confused.  LOL.  

4 hours ago, DENIE said:

Shadow9612 - this is an awesome video!  Thanks for sending it.  I am loving our hotel selection at the moment!

@Scubadoobie2 @DENIE My pleasure - I was very concerned myself about what the walk would be like, so I was so happy to find that video.  Even happier to be able to help you as well!  It was also reassuring to see others with luggage in that video!

To give credit where credit is due, the video was from Durant and Cheryl Imboden, who created a website which has a wealth of information -  https://europeforvisitors.com/

• Like 1