Wine Bottle Packages

Cruise Raider

I absolutely love the new wine list on Princess and was lucky enough to get a wine bottle package on my last cruise.  I was pleased to hear my PCC mention that they were even considering offering them on 7 night cruises as I have a couple of those shorter cruises booked for the future.  

But now, I have another booking in a few months and have been seeing some posts that the wine bottle package isn't being offered on some cruises, even though they are over 10 days in duration.  Our next one is 10 nights and out of our home port and would really like to know ahead of time if the wine bottle package will be offered?  I wish we could purchase them ahead of time online using our OBC!  Ok, too much to ask for?  Maybe!!  But, the second best option would be to know exactly what is going to be offered before we board.  

Does anyone know if Princess is in the process of canceling these packages on specific ships?  Specific itineraries?  Fleet wide?  Or, are they offering them consistently on 7 night cruises?  

If I sail out of my home port, I can bring my own wine and simply pay the corkage but these bones are getting older and it is just a lot easier if we have a reasonable option to just get the wines we enjoy onboard and at a decent price.  

• Like 2

I feel the same way about the new wine list. Such an improvement. However it’s the bottles not the wine by the glass that I find the most improved. On my May Alaska cruise  (Island) they did not sell the wine package. This cruise was sold as a 14 day or two 7 days.  

It seems I’ve mostly read that those on the Royal Class ships can get them. I’m on a 10 out of SF on August 4 th and would love to get a wine package even though it is also my home port and I could bring some on. I’m traveling solo and they’ve discontinued the BVE that allowed DH to take my carryon and my wine up to my room on embarkation day.  

If I remember correctly my cruise is before yours. If so I’ll let you know.....unless someone else can tells us both sooner.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I feel the same way about the new wine list. Such an improvement. However it’s the bottles not the wine by the glass that I find the most improved. On my May Alaska cruise  (Island) they did not sell the wine package. This cruise was sold as a 14 day or two 7 days.  

It seems I’ve mostly read that those on the Royal Class ships can get them. I’m on a 10 out of SF on August 4 th and would love to get a wine package even though it is also my home port and I could bring some on. I’m traveling solo and they’ve discontinued the BVE that allowed DH to take my carryon and my wine up to my room on embarkation day.  

If I remember correctly my cruise is before yours. If so I’ll let you know.....unless someone else can tells us both sooner.  

Thanks Jacqueline!  That would be the best ... yes, mine is in October.  Wish we were on the same one.  Ahhhh ... maybe again one day!  

And, I didn't get the beverage package because I loved the wine bottle package and you are right, we were able to get one on the Royal.  The wines by the glass within the package are just so so.  

• Like 1

Some posts about wine packages being unavailable appear to be during the transition to fully implementing the new wine list.  

Years ago it wasn’t offered on our South America cruise (31 days) due to lack of inventory.  Another time on a Med cruise just before mine a delayed container of supplies including wine didn’t arrive as scheduled.  These are examples about why a lack of inventory results in a wine package being unavailable.  The uncertainty of having sufficient inventory is the reason Princess has said it’s not available to purchase in advance & is why wine packages are not promoted on their website.  They promote other options that are not available on every cruise so don’t agree with their lack of promoting wine packages.

Despite not knowing whether a wine package would be offered on a recent 7-day cruise, we only brought a few bottles from home to drive to the port.  Thankfully we were able to purchase a wine package (now only Gold) and I conveyed my happiness to the maître d’.  He said that he never understood why HQ previously never allowed selling wine packages on 7-day cruises.

Although there’s no way for me to know if our experience was a test on the Royal or if it’s a fleetwide policy change.  And lacking any information on their website there’s no way to know their actual policy. 🤨

I also agree that their new wine list is an improvement & enjoyed our cruise long wine tasting event. 🍷🍷

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, Regal 11 night Baltic offered the wine packages but it was too many bottles for two of us in that many days so I bypassed.  I actually prefer to bring my own stash on board but it just was not convenient in Copenhagen. 

14 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I also agree that their new wine list is an improvement & enjoyed our cruise long wine tasting event. 🍷🍷

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

Do you have to add tax to the prices listed?

Do you know what the corkage charge is for bringing on your own bottles and can these be drunk in the main dining rooms?

6 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

Do you have to add tax to the prices listed?

Do you know what the corkage charge is for bringing on your own bottles and can these be drunk in the main dining rooms?

1 hour ago, EMS8 said:

As of March, the corkage fee remained at $15 per bottle.  And yes, they can be taken to the MDR.  You will have a sticker on the bottle indicating the corkage has been paid.

You don’t add tax to those prices but there is an 18% tip added to the price.  

For bottles you bring after paying the $15 corkage fee you can drink it anywhere on the ship.  The corkage fee free one 750ml bottle per adult passenger is to drink in your cabin or if brought to a dining room is subject to the $15 corkage fee.  If not finishing a bottle they will store it for another time or you can take it anywhere else on the ship to drink.

For me their wine package can be a good option with wines costing up to $45 available for as low as $28.

The details on the wine package:

Note: An 18% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other drink purchase). 

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used only at any of the dining locations

You may choose any wine from the wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you buy a wine that costs $46 you’re only charge $1.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, milolii said:

Yes, I agree with both of you, the list is better.  We are on the Royal but  in mid  August.  I can asked but already have 4 bottles of Rombauer packed. 🍷

That was one of the wines I was referring to ... that and their Mer Soliel and a few others.  

28 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You don’t add tax to those prices but there is an 18% tip added to the price.  

For bottles you bring after paying the $15 corkage fee you can drink it anywhere on the ship.  The corkage fee free one 750ml bottle per adult passenger is to drink in your cabin or if brought to a dining room is subject to the $15 corkage fee.  If not finishing a bottle they will store it for another time or you can take it anywhere else on the ship to drink.

For me their wine package can be a good option with wines costing up to $45 available for as low as $28.

The details on the wine package:

Note: An 18% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other drink purchase). 

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used only at any of the dining locations

You may choose any wine from the wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you buy a wine that costs $46 you’re only charge $1.

Thank you for your comprehensive and well explained answer.

Another quick question. Do you get you Captains Circle discount off the drinks package prices?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

Another quick question. Do you get you Captains Circle discount off the drinks package prices?

There are no additional discounts on the packages.  

22 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

There are no additional discounts on the packages.  

The 10% elite discount is only available for purchases in shops but we often have sufficient OBC to pay for it which is like getting a free wine package.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

We have our first Princess cruise booked, 15 night Hawaii on the Star. How do you know whether the wine package will be available if it isn't in the cruise planner. The Sip and Sail promo isn't beneficial, cost wise, for the cruise but I neeeed my wine and this looks so much better than bringing on our own; in that we are flying in and will have to worry about procuring, transporting and paying corkage.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I absolutely love the new wine list on Princess and was lucky enough to get a wine bottle package on my last cruise.  I was pleased to hear my PCC mention that they were even considering offering them on 7 night cruises as I have a couple of those shorter cruises booked for the future.  

But now, I have another booking in a few months and have been seeing some posts that the wine bottle package isn't being offered on some cruises, even though they are over 10 days in duration.  Our next one is 10 nights and out of our home port and would really like to know ahead of time if the wine bottle package will be offered?  I wish we could purchase them ahead of time online using our OBC!  Ok, too much to ask for?  Maybe!!  But, the second best option would be to know exactly what is going to be offered before we board.  

Does anyone know if Princess is in the process of canceling these packages on specific ships?  Specific itineraries?  Fleet wide?  Or, are they offering them consistently on 7 night cruises?  

If I sail out of my home port, I can bring my own wine and simply pay the corkage but these bones are getting older and it is just a lot easier if we have a reasonable option to just get the wines we enjoy onboard and at a decent price.  

I reached out to the June 25 roll call for the Grand and Caricross16 was kind enough to say they would ask for us and let us know.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NemoCrownie said:

We have our first Princess cruise booked, 15 night Hawaii on the Star. How do you know whether the wine package will be available if it isn't in the cruise planner. The Sip and Sail promo isn't beneficial, cost wise, for the cruise but I neeeed my wine and this looks so much better than bringing on our own; in that we are flying in and will have to worry about procuring, transporting and paying corkage.

It’s likely to be available & resupplying on a West Coast cruise to Hawaii shouldn’t be a problem.

Sometimes we’ve been told it’s unavailable but have always been able to purchase wine packages from our dining room waitstaff.  They’ll provide our wine & will earn some type of benefits such as extra time off in ports.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2