Blue Mountains day trip from Sydney in Jan

We're planning five days in Sydney between cruises at the end of Jan 2020. This will most likely be our only trip to this part of the world.  We've reserved the Russell Hotel across from the cruise terminal. Closer to the date, we may switch to an Airbnb or apt hotel (for A/C : ) in the same general area as we like to walk or take public transportation and avoid taxis.

A top 'to-do' day trip is the Blue Mountains on our own. It could be a Fri thru to a Mon as we sail again on Tues.  How do you recommend we 'to-do' it!?

Edited by Adventures ahead

On Sunday it $2 all day by train ferry and public bus.but it can get busy.

A good way to finish the day ,on your return ,get off the train at parramatta ,a 15 minute walk to parramatta river cat  and catch the river cat back to circular quay.

Its very busy in the blue mountains on weekends so if it was me, I'd try to go on the Friday. I second the recommendation for the hydro majestic. 

Edited by Suzbluz

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Go to Katoomba by train then use the HoHo bus to see the sights around Katoomba and Leura.

Thanks! Maybe it's just that simple!

Gut2407, I hear you and will probably change our hotel reservation. 

Without a car (not happening : ) or unlimited budget, we know we're restricting ourselves to public transport or tours that can be pricey, so we intend to take the train. I'm researching potential ways to spend the day when we get to the Blue Mountains.  I thought of an overnight and not sure if that's the best idea (checking in and out of hotels with two suitcases and carry on would be inconvenient and eat up time) or if we can get enough from our visit by simply putting in a full day. We don't mind an early start and late return.

If you knew then, what you know now (and could never go back), do you have other suggestions on how we should attempt to organize our day? I'm probably looking for too much detail so thanks to everyone who has replied!

If you are leaving the hotel for just the one or two nights before returning there again, you may be able to leave a bag or two behind and just take an overnight bag to the mountains.

As for things to do, there are many. TripAdvisor is a great place to start and see what is of interest (Things to do).

A few suggestions

A walk to the Opera House and then through the Botanic Gardens; or

Around the Rocks area and through to Barangaroo and Darling Harbour.

A ferry ride to the Taroonga Park Zoo and/or to Manly for the beach, and causeway

A train and bus ride to Bondi beach.

The Hydro Majestic is such a lovely place for a visit, drinks, etc.

Following Mic’s comment of visiting Bondi, I also love the walk along the cliffs from Bondi to Coogee. Easy to follow pathway, but a fair bit of up and down. Even the part through the cemetery is interesting.

https://www.bonditocoogeewalk.com/

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

Gee I remember when The Hydro Majestic was THE place.

ill add my vote for the Bondi walk and Waverley Cemetery is an Historians dream. Also to the suggestion of train from Katoomba back as far as Parramatta and then the River Cat Ferry back to the city

A walk across Ye old Harbour Bridge is highly recommended if you are able. Also a fan of a walk through the Botanic Gardens and around the Opera House. The Rocks area is also right there and worth a look.

For others things to do in the Blue Mountains I recommend:

- Echo Point for the classic views of the Three Sisters. There is a short walk there that takes you close to the Three Sisters. 

- Scenic World. First do the Skyway which takes you across the valley and back for great views of Katoomba Falls, then take the Scenic Railway down and do the walk to the bottom of the falls. You can either go back up on the Railway or walk past it a short distance to the Cableway. https://www.scenicworld.com.au/

- Explore the lovely shopping centre at Leura, which also has some great cafes.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

For others things to do in the Blue Mountains I recommend:

- Echo Point for the classic views of the Three Sisters. There is a short walk there that takes you close to the Three Sisters. 

- Scenic World. First do the Skyway which takes you across the valley and back for great views of Katoomba Falls, then take the Scenic Railway down and do the walk to the bottom of the falls. You can either go back up on the Railway or walk past it a short distance to the Cableway. https://www.scenicworld.com.au/

- Explore the lovely shopping centre at Leura, which also has some great cafes.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like that's doable in a day.

The River Cat Ferry back to Sydney sounds like fun too.

Others comments on what to do in and around Sydney are also greatly appreciated!

There’s a long thread of things to do, but the big question is what are your interests.

i usually suggest ferry over to the zoo. To most visitors. Walk across the Bridge, visit the Opera House, even just to walk around the outside.

Around Sydney the highlight is the harbour. Forgot about doing a harbour cruise just catch a few ferries.

If you don’t do the river cat on the way back from the blue mountains you can do a return trip. But it is spectacular from parramatta into the city,as  the city builds up to the harbour bridge and then the opera house.

Across to manly on the Manly for lunch and maybe a swim at the beach is a must.

Taronga zoo by ferry if it interests you but it’s expensive 

A ferry around to darling harbour,the maritime museum is interesting .

ferry to Watson’s bay.

I am hesitant about suggesting the fish markets some people love or hate it.For me it’s a great attraction.Its the second biggest in the world next to Tokyo.

You can see some of the best seafood in the world and they cook it.

The problem is with the smell and the crowds.Its big with Asian tourists.It can be standing room only.

If you do go ,go early and eat .The restaurants open at 10:00 . Beet the crowds .

Grab something to eat,it’s quite resonantly priced and get some takeaways and put them in your hotel fridge.

Maybe a seafood picnic in the botanical gardens.

Edited by Chiliburn

Thanks again for your suggestions. Great info! You guys are awesome with your input.

I'm keeping the Russell Hotel reservation for our first two nights, for when we arrive from Canada and before a NZ cruise.

Having re-thought our 5-day hotel between cruises, I now plan to book an apartment, either the Meriton on Pitt St or Kent St, near the Town Hall station. We'll be arriving from the airport with luggage, having done a cruise from Melbourne after the NZ cruise. Meriton Pitt St, only $20/day more, seems better than Kent St if it weren't for construction going on next to it. Comments? Regardless, we'll be well positioned for catching the train to the Blue Mountains.

4 hours ago, bearmom53 said:

If we stayed overnight in the Blue Mountain area, what are some good accommodations?

Katoomba is a rural town you won’t find the Marriott or Hilton.

The carrington hotel is a old guest house in Katoomba which is popular.

another is the hydro Magestic but it’s not in Katoomba,it’s the next town , medlow bath (very small town .)theres a train station just near it.

Edited by Chiliburn