Some (hopefully different) premium beverage package questions

Pohra

We landed a Sip & Sale for our upcoming Pacific Coastal on the Island Princess, so we get to experience our first Premium Beverage Packages. After looking into the details to figure out how to make the most of the package without putting ourselves on the floor 😀 a couple of questions came to mind.

1. The PBP includes bottled water, which is handy since we go through quite a bit. This is kind of an embarrassing question to ask, but in all our years of cruising we've always brought our own or preordered cases of water, so I honestly have no idea where on the ship you actually go to buy bottled water! Can I have our steward bring us some and charge it to the package, do I get it from the bar, the Princess Shops... ?

2. I suspect the answer to this one is no, but with the $12/drink limit and the somewhat... creative... drink pricing (especially on the whisky menu), can you order a "nicer" drink and just use two drinks on your package? It would be a nice way to try some different things that I normally wouldn't spring for at a bar, but I suspect that I'll just have to stick with some of my usual selections and pad out the day with some specialty coffee so I can still walk 🤣.

1. You can get bottled water at any bar - and there will be a lot of those. You can also snag a couple of bottles to take ashore at the disembarkation area if you didn't get them in advance. You can also get small bottles of Perrier and San Pellegrino at any bar - unless that particular bar is out of the one you request. You can not get bottled water (or any other drink) in your cabin as Room Service is not included.

2.You can not use two drinks to get a higher priced item. You will have to pay full price for that item. If you happen to be a Rye drinker you can get Bulleit Rye - which is not on the normal menu - at the Whisky Adventure and it fits within the pricing.

Note: I wasn't aware that the Whiskey Adventure had made it to Island Princess yet. I know it was scheduled but didn't think they had done that yet. That is the only place I can think of that you might have been referring to when you mentioned "creative" drink pricing on the Whiskey menu.

Edited by Thrak

That may have been it - I looking at whiskey menu on the Princess site. It just said "Whiskey Menu" but it's pretty extensive so I would guess it's the Whiskey Adventure. I'm not sure what to expect on Island Princess since I haven't been on the Panamax ships before. I just noticed that Four Roses was really high for yellow label or even single barrel. Oh well, plenty of others to enjoy more than my fill of.

The beverage package doesn't allow "doubles" but it can be done at the bartender's discretion. I tend to drink straight Scotch at times. When I've had the beverage package the bartenders would pour me doubles by the second day. They just need to realize you aren't "sharing". When I drink Talisker my wife can't even stand the smell of the stuff. We've only had the package twice but both times the bartenders knew my wife and I both had the package and had no problem serving me a double whiskey. Of course it does count as two pours. They also knew my folio number by the second day and never needed to see my card. Each time they enter a transaction it clearly shows on their screen how many drinks you have used that day. If you want to know how many you've had just ask. You are "limited" to 15 alcoholic drinks a day - 6AM to 6AM.  If you are blotto they can (and should) cut you off. If you aren't an issue and they can see you can handle that many drinks they will have no issue with serving you. When you reach the "limit" they will let you know and, should you desire another drink, they will charge you full price. I don't know how often that happens...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

a decent tip 'buys' a lot of 'bartender discretion' ...:classic_ninja:

I find I don't need to tip the bartender to get excellent service. I have been known to tip servers at times but it's just a dollar. I don't feel the need to bribe folks to do their job. I find that bar servers tend to vary quite a bit. I like to drink a 24K Margarita but I want it "on the rocks, in a rocks glass, and no salt". (I don't like them blended and I really don't like those stupid "Margarita glasses".) That type of order seems to confuse many of the servers. Other times I can order it that way once and on subsequent visits to that particular venue, the server remembers me and the way I want the drink. At that point I may part with a buck but I wouldn't do it in advance to "insure" I got the proper drink.

Edited by Thrak

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I find I don't need to tip the bartender to get excellent service. I have been known to tip servers at times but it's just a dollar. I don't feel the need to bribe folks to do their job.

more than just service, bro ... more than just service ... I'll just leave it at that ...

• Like 1

We had the PBP on our last cruise and as we were out walking about the ship, we'd stop at a few bars and pick up a bottle of water for later.  We kept several in the fridge throughout the cruise for evening consumption and for taking ashore.  Very convenient.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

more than just service, bro ... more than just service ... I'll just leave it at that ...

Never tipped a bartender until the end of the cruise and have never been under poured. We only drink martinis and manhattans donor much room to under pour

2 hours ago, Pohra said:

That may have been it - I looking at whiskey menu on the Princess site. 

Can I ask exactly where did you find that menu on the Princess site?  I've been searching but I can't find it.

Just booked a cruise for next fall.  It's my first cruise on Princess, I normally sail Celebrity, but Celebrity doesn't do one way NE/Canadian cruises, only RT.

We always get the premium beverage package, whether it's a promo or not.  Luckily we were able to book on the Sip & Sale promo. 

On Celebrity I already know which bars will serve my Lagavulin and once it's all gone the Laphroaig.  Yes, Islay whisky preferred.  It will be good to be able to peruse the menu and if possible see what falls within the price limits.

7 minutes ago, chepar said:

Can I ask exactly where did you find that menu on the Princess site?  I've been searching but I can't find it.

It's available here: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/Whiskey-Menu.pdf

I wish they offered Glenlivet 15. One of my sons brought me a bottle for Father's Day. I love that stuff but rarely get it.

Edited by Thrak

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Thanks!

Just looked at the list . . . hmm, it's ok, I guess.  Not a single Islay, though - not even the Laphroaig 10 yr. - which for a bottle isn't that pricey.  I'm surprised that they didn't even have a middle of the road Macallan on the list.

Looks like I'll be drinking bourbon on this cruise - although the pricing on the Four Roses (and I doubt it's even the Single Barrel) is rather overpriced. If I go the whisky route, it will probably be the Talisker.

16 minutes ago, chepar said:

If I go the whisky route, it will probably be the Talisker.

I drank a lot of Talisker on a 28 day with the package and also on the following 14 day. My wife can't stand the smell of the stuff and another passenger who likes Scotch said it smelled waaaaaaaaaaaaay too peaty for his taste. It's not for everyone. Not as "hefty" as Laphroaig though. 🥃

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife can't stand the smell of the stuff and another passenger who likes Scotch said it smelled waaaaaaaaaaaaay too peaty for his taste. It's not for everyone. Not as "hefty" as Laphroaig though. 🥃

Yes, the Talisker looks like it might be the peatiest of the bunch on the list.  The peatier the better for me - all around my favorite distillery is Ardbeg.  

The Laphroaig 10 yr is not my favorite.  But I can drink it just fine and I know they carry it on the Celebrity ships.  However, if you're lucky the ship will have the Lagavulin 16 yr - and it will go fast, so I'll drink that at the start of the cruise and once it's gone switch to the Laphroaig.

I do have a bottle of Talisker Storm at home, though - haven't cracked it open yet because I have so many other bottles of Islay whisky open that are much peatier.

2 hours ago, chepar said:

if you're lucky the ship will have the Lagavulin 16 yr

One of my sons buys Lagavulin 16 from time to time. He prefers a less peaty Scotch but does get the Lagavulin from time to time. He has quite a bit more in the way of "disposable income" than is my case. I tend to get my nice liquor at his house and, occasionally, from my other son as well. They can afford it whereas I can't. (I spend my money on cruises and land trips with my wife.)

10 hours ago, chepar said:

Thanks!

Just looked at the list . . . hmm, it's ok, I guess.  Not a single Islay, though - not even the Laphroaig 10 yr. - which for a bottle isn't that pricey.  I'm surprised that they didn't even have a middle of the road Macallan on the list.

Looks like I'll be drinking bourbon on this cruise - although the pricing on the Four Roses (and I doubt it's even the Single Barrel) is rather overpriced. If I go the whisky route, it will probably be the Talisker.

Have you tried all the single malts on that list? If not, why not give them a try. A few years ago we did a trip on the Royal Scotsman train, which had 50 single malts onboard, many of which we'd never heard of. Sadly we were only doing a four night trip! Each night we asked the barman to recommend new ones to try, based on our preferences. It was great fun.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A few years ago we did a trip on the Royal Scotsman train, which had 50 single malts onboard, many of which we'd never heard of... Each night we asked the barman to recommend new ones to try, 

I hope you kept written notes (because your memory might not be trusted)!

Basically don't drink malts at sea   ... a bit too dear  

But at a bit over 4 times retail for my favourite it is not to bad...  considering we are on a US ship in the middle of the ocean

and it from a small distillery in Tasmania Australia 

I we see if they have it on our next cruise.

Cheers with a G&T   Don

I was on the Royal in April.  The bartenders told me they changed the policy for drinks over the $12 so you can now just pay the difference.  Say a drink was $15 it would cost one of your 15 daily drinks + $3.  I did not test it out nor do I know if other ships are following suit. 

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Have you tried all the single malts on that list? If not, why not give them a try. A few years ago we did a trip on the Royal Scotsman train, which had 50 single malts onboard, many of which we'd never heard of. Sadly we were only doing a four night trip! Each night we asked the barman to recommend new ones to try, based on our preferences. It was great fun.

The premium package has a $12 limit, if I'm correct.  Looking at the list, everything that falls within that limit I've tried (even the blends) except for the Muirhead.  I have also tried some of the ones that don't fall within the $12 limit.  I'm willing to try the Muirhead but it's a Highland whisky and I drink almost exclusively Islay whiskies because I like the peat.  I occasionally may drink Talisker or Jura.  Whiskies from other regions (Highland, Speyside, Lowland, etc.) don't really appeal because to my palate they're too "light" and not peaty enough.

About 4 years ago I did a 6 day trip to Islay that was part of a longer trip around Scotland and visited most of the distilleries there and brought home a number of bottles that you can only buy at the distillery.  Returning back to Scotland this fall and taking a few days on the Isle of Skye.  Might have to see if I have time to visit the Talisker distillery if I'm around that way.

5 hours ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I was on the Royal in April.  The bartenders told me they changed the policy for drinks over the $12 so you can now just pay the difference.  Say a drink was $15 it would cost one of your 15 daily drinks + $3.  I did not test it out nor do I know if other ships are following suit. 

This is good to hear and hope this is true.  This would match Celebrity's policy, which I am used to.  Maybe by the time I take my first Princess cruise next fall most/all the ships will be following this policy.

Also, I'll be on the Caribbean Princess.  I read on another thread that the Wheelhouse Bar is where I can go to find the single malt whiskies.  Is that the best place to go? 

1 hour ago, chepar said:

Also, I'll be on the Caribbean Princess.  I read on another thread that the Wheelhouse Bar is where I can go to find the single malt whiskies.  Is that the best place to go? 

On Emerald the Whiskey Adventure was in Wheelhouse. The next cruise after that was on Caribbean Princess and I was told I would have to go to the smoking bar - I think it was Churchill's on that ship. As I won't set foot in the smoking bar I have no idea if that was actually the case. I was able to get Talisker in Wheelhouse though so perhaps I am totally messed up.