Baby monitors

soozles

Hi all! We are going on a cruise on Celebrity Summit with my will be 8 month old. Has anyone had any experience with using a baby monitor on the balcony while the baby sleeps inside? I know that once the door is closed on the balcony, I won’t hear him inside the room, and he tends to be hangry when he wakes up, and doesn’t care who knows it. But I also don’t want to be stuck staring at him in the room while he naps. I wasn’t sure if the signal will go through the steel walls. If it matters, we have an Infant Optix monitor, so it doesn’t use WiFi or anything like that. 

3 hours ago, soozles said:

Hi all! We are going on a cruise on Celebrity Summit with my will be 8 month old. Has anyone had any experience with using a baby monitor on the balcony while the baby sleeps inside? I know that once the door is closed on the balcony, I won’t hear him inside the room, and he tends to be hangry when he wakes up, and doesn’t care who knows it. But I also don’t want to be stuck staring at him in the room while he naps. I wasn’t sure if the signal will go through the steel walls. If it matters, we have an Infant Optix monitor, so it doesn’t use WiFi or anything like that. 

From the room to the balcony should work fine (audio may work better than video), but much further than the next cabin would not likely work.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From the room to the balcony should work fine (audio may work better than video), but much further than the next cabin would not likely work.

Agreed.  It's been a while since we used a baby monitor on a cruise but with the old audio only technology we were always able to use it through the walls with next door cabins.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:48 PM, cb at sea said:

It will work thru the door.. it won't work if you're cabins away, tho.

We only have our one room, not planning on leaving him to go somewhere else. Glad to know it should work on the balcony though. At least I can relax out there while he naps 

Our room is next to each other, the monitor is with sound and picture not wifi.   @cb at sea, you said it will work through the door what do you mean?   There no door between the room, only the front door to each room.   My daughter, son-in-law and grand daughter ware in one room and I am in the other room next door.   Some night, if they want to go see the show while baby sleeping I will be in the room next door, if baby monitor work that would be great so I can watch TV or read and don't have to be in there room.  Would like to know if it work, if not we will not bring it,

Since the cruise wall between room is metal not sure the baby monitor with video picture not wifi will work?   

Liana.

10 hours ago, lianaks said:

Our room is next to each other, the monitor is with sound and picture not wifi.   @cb at sea, you said it will work through the door what do you mean?   There no door between the room, only the front door to each room.   My daughter, son-in-law and grand daughter ware in one room and I am in the other room next door.   Some night, if they want to go see the show while baby sleeping I will be in the room next door, if baby monitor work that would be great so I can watch TV or read and don't have to be in there room.  Would like to know if it work, if not we will not bring it,

Since the cruise wall between room is metal not sure the baby monitor with video picture not wifi will work?   

Liana.

There are actually two metal walls between each cabin, since each cabin is a pre-fabricated entity.  The audio part of the monitor will likely work between cabins, the video may or may not, and may drop in and out, it will depend on the particular cabins and ship you are in.

You will get to know that "cb at sea" is a "drive by poster", who comes to a thread, posts one post that is typically inaccurate, and many times not applicable to the topic, and never returns to the thread.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience using a baby monitor that is audio only with and inside cabin to a balcony cabin across the hall? Sailing on the Royal Princess and am hoping to take advantage of my parents balcony while my 7 1/2 month old naps.

Have you sailed Princess before?  The cabin has a large walkin closet opposite the bath.  You could put the pack n play there in your parents cabin and sit out on the balcony.  Maybe ask the steward for a second pack n play so you wouldn't have to move yours...EM

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We used a baby monitor up to 2 doors down with video.  It would not reach to the balcony but we could hear and see approximately 2 doors away.  ( We were in an aft balcony and the baby was in the last inside cabin across the hall on a Royal ship.  ) Since I could see and hear I felt comfortable being that far away.  I had keys to both rooms of course so I could run over and check on them. It worked for us so no one had to sit in a dark room a 8 p.m. with a baby. I would have preferred adjoining cabins but that didn’t work out. It should work fine in your own room and balcony.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

We used a baby monitor up to 2 doors down with video.  It would not reach to the balcony but we could hear and see approximately 2 doors away.  ( We were in an aft balcony and the baby was in the last inside cabin across the hall on a Royal ship.  ) Since I could see and hear I felt comfortable being that far away.  I had keys to both rooms of course so I could run over and check on them. It worked for us so no one had to sit in a dark room a 8 p.m. with a baby. I would have preferred adjoining cabins but that didn’t work out. It should work fine in your own room and balcony.

Just an FYI, baby monitors are on Royal Caribbean's prohibited list.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

35 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

That makes zero sense 

Just sharing the prohibited list.  Not sure why they are prohibited, maybe it has to do with the wifi, not sure.  Just saw this thread and had just looked at the prohibited list for something else so was just sharing so people don't have to deal with their monitors being confiscated and having to pick them up after their cruise.

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just sharing the prohibited list.  Not sure why they are prohibited, maybe it has to do with the wifi, not sure.  Just saw this thread and had just looked at the prohibited list for something else so was just sharing so people don't have to deal with their monitors being confiscated and having to pick them up after their cruise.

Oh I understand why you posted.   The fact its prohibited makes no sense to me 

• Like 1

Hello everyone! 🙂

Do you have experience with monitoring apps and internet packages or walkie talkies?

We're at the MSC Grandiosa next year. Our first family cruise.

Could we leave the cabin in the evening for not a long time when she sleeps? Our daughter is than 2,5 years old.

Edited by Verena35

Don't leave your child alone in a cabin or where you can't see him.  Too many things can happen on a cruise ship:  many  people who work on the ship have pass keys and do frequently access the cabin; fire or other emergency; child may figure out how to open door and leave the room, other passengers, etc.  Also, I you have a balcony, do not allow the child to be on the balcony by himself.

Remember a ship is a small contained city, anything that can happen on land can happen on a ship.

Exercise due caution as you would at home.

Judy

On 9/28/2019 at 8:56 AM, Verena35 said:

Hello everyone! 🙂

Do you have experience with monitoring apps and internet packages or walkie talkies?

We're at the MSC Grandiosa next year. Our first family cruise.

Could we leave the cabin in the evening for not a long time when she sleeps? Our daughter is than 2,5 years old.

😲 uh not a smart idea at all.

We can use baby monitoring apps on our smartphones with video camera.

I can not imagine that she can open the doors alone, balcony door and cabin door. But we will check it.

Staff is a good tip!

We will see than................ Thank you.

Of course, if we are unsure, we will not go away.

Edited by Verena35

35 minutes ago, Verena35 said:

We can use baby monitoring apps on our smartphones with video camera.

Uh, maybe.  For the exact same reason that video baby monitors don't work, your video camera won't transmit to your smartphone:  steel.  Your camera would have to transmit out through the closed steel door from the steel cabin to the first ship's wifi antenna it finds, and then transmit that to your phone.  While voice and data may work, video transmission is a whole other animal.  Forget virtually everything you know about electronics and "wifi" from land, on a ship it just works differently, most times not working at all.

And, as noted, not only does the cabin steward have key access to your cabin, but room service, plumbers and carpenters, electricians, security, and many senior officers and staff do as well.  And, while the door lock does record every card that accesses the cabin, that is only good in hindsight, in an investigation after something has happened.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, nascarcruiser said:

Oh I understand why you posted.   The fact its prohibited makes no sense to me 

Baby monitors broadcast on all sorts of frequencies that may or may not be legal to use in different countries. The ship is responsible for all broadcasts from the ship. Since it’s impossible for the cruise line to know if that monitor is legal in the country du jour, they just ban them all.