Allure Refurb 2020

On 6/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, mac_tlc said:

My gripe is with the Ultimate Abyss, not so much the water slides. I would just rather have the aft view, and it definitely affects the view from many of the Boardwalk Balcony cabins. Its not like people don't have the opportunity to enjoy the Abyss -- it will be on at least 3 of 4, and probably 5 of 5 of the Oasis class ships. If you would rather have the view, you are SOL.  I don't know, which view do you prefer?

Symphony of the Seas - 1/26/19

When we were on Symphony a month ago that white cover thingie over the exits of the Ultimate Abyss was not there.  

I wonder if the Ultimate Abyss to be added to Allure and Oasis will be exactly the same as on HOTS or Symphony?  I kind of hope Royal give some variations to the slides on different ships, making them more interesting.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruising Latitude said:

I wonder if the Ultimate Abyss to be added to Allure and Oasis will be exactly the same as on HOTS or Symphony?  I kind of hope Royal give some variations to the slides on different ships, making them more interesting.  

If I had to guess, I'd say they will be different, because they have had some experience with them now and might want to change some aspects.

• Thanks 2

On 6/27/2019 at 7:05 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I have a feeling they will not be allowed to cross the Atlantic with the azipod issues - if it gets rough or they break down....having 6000 people stranded in the Atlantic is totally different than hopping from one island to another where land and help is always just minutes away.......🤔

Okay this really is worrying me.  We are booked on this cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and our 50th birthdays.  This is our first cruise in four years and we can't just switch ships because I need a wheelchair accessible cabin and those book out months (if not a year or more) ahead of time. 

When would we likely find out that this cruise is cancelled?  I was looking at booking air but if there isn't going to be a cruise, I don't want to get stuck with air that we couldn't use.  

1 minute ago, ChollaChick said:

When would we likely find out that this cruise is cancelled?  I was looking at booking air but if there isn't going to be a cruise, I don't want to get stuck with air that we couldn't use.  

I would very strongly recommend booking air with air2sea .....we have been burned twice with being stuck with unesless air now ( the $400 from RCI did not cover  our loss) after cancelled cruises....we will only book TA's with air2sea now....👍🙄

If I counted correctly we had 3 TA's cancelled in the last 2 years.....😥

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChollaChick said:

Okay this really is worrying me.  We are booked on this cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and our 50th birthdays.  This is our first cruise in four years and we can't just switch ships because I need a wheelchair accessible cabin and those book out months (if not a year or more) ahead of time. 

I booked with Air2Sea. That would be fully refundable in event of cancellation 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChollaChick said:

Lets just say I have "ignored" Thorben and this is the one and only person I have "ignored" on Cruise Critic, in the 20+ years I have been a member.  His thought about what would be "allowed" is suspect for the following reasons.

Keep in mind there are multiple azipods (think propellers connected to electric motors) that move the ship through the water.  These are powered by diesel generators.

Generally, there are 3 azipods and 4 to 6 generators that power the azipods.  The numbers are for redundancy, and rebuild time for the generators that are required every few years.

So at any one time a generator may be offline for a rebuild.  The closest corollary would be completely replacing the engine in your car every three years.  This normal operational procedures.

Now to get back to the azipod issue.

Since there are most likely three, having one not operational while not ideal doesn't risk the ship.  It just impacts speed.  Keep in mind the vast majority of cargo ships only have one propeller.  The owning company and the insurance companies don't have an issue with this.

Also keep in mind that there have been other cruise ships that have had an azipod "down" for months at a time.  The cruise line in question, adjusted the schedules to accommodate the reduced speed.  Their was no concern about the seaworthiness by the powers to be.

I would have no issue in booking the cruise you are on.

"

Edited by gatour
  • Thanks 1