Explorer Cabins

golfer21

Looking for recommendations on Explorer cabins, we will be doing the transatlantic on Nov. 23. Not sure what cabin would suit us. We have previously been on Mariner in concierge and Voyager in G suite.

Thanks

My "best bang for the buck" recommendation is always an F2.  We love the layout, they're roomy and have good closet space and a fantastic bathroom.  The window-facing bed is nice and they're not overly expensive.

That's assuming, of course, that you don't usually sail in Grand or Master suites.  But for me, we always book an F on Explorer.  Concierge cabins are the same layout with a larger balcony and might be a good deal if you want the Concierge amenities or the pre-cruise night.  There are also a handful of F cabins that have an angled balcony that's a bit larger than the standard F balconies but these tend to fill up pretty quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with Bill - the "F" suites are really nice.  Stay away from "G" and "H" as they are better suited for one person (in my humble opinion).

Agreed.  The G can accommodate either a small couple or people who don't need personal space...but the price difference between a G and an F2 is usually small enough (when compared to the overall cruise cost) that it's well worth the extra $$, IMO.

Bill as usual is being quite humble here. Once you decide on a category use the sticky "suite guru" to look at particular cabins. This is a great resource that I wish more people would complete after cruising and more future cruisers would be aware of before choosing a cabin for a cruise. Thanks again Bill for your hard work on this!!!!

We have personally found the suites on the Mariner below Penthouse to be too small, the "G" on the Voyager have been fine and we are looking forward to our "F" on the Explorer this fall.

• Like 3

Another vote for F2. We were on Explorer in January (first time) and loved the cabin. I love the way the bed faces out towards the sea, unbelievable amount of storage in the room as well as a roomy walk-in closet, and very nice bathroom with 2 sinks, separate shower and tub. We were in #912 with the angled balcony.  On our next Explorer cruise 912 was already taken so we have 817 which also has an angled balcony.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

Another vote for F2. We were on Explorer in January (first time) and loved the cabin. I love the way the bed faces out towards the sea, unbelievable amount of storage in the room as well as a roomy walk-in closet, and very nice bathroom with 2 sinks, separate shower and tub. We were in #912 with the angled balcony.  On our next Explorer cruise 912 was already taken so we have 817 which also has an angled balcony.

We’re booked in 911 next spring (I chose it over 912 because I like Porsches).  ¡Viva la angle!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, taxare said:

This fall 816 for us! Carol, with all the time you spend on this and the Scenic boards, you sure spend a lot of time taking and thinking about cruising!!! 😀

We were in 816 last November and loved it. Thought it is in a great location and very comfortable.  We are booked in it again next year. 

Enjoy it.

We have two upcoming cruises in the F category on Explorer.   We were able to secure 816 for our Caribbean cruise (12/7/19) and 911 for Adriatic and Italy cruise (10/17/20). 

Our other two cruises are both PH on Splendor. (3/14/20) and (1/14/21).

We are so lucky to enjoy Regent cruising. 

Sheila

10 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We have two upcoming cruises in the F category on Explorer.   We were able to secure 816 for our Caribbean cruise (12/7/19) and 911 for Adriatic and Italy cruise (10/17/20). 

Our other two cruises are both PH on Splendor. (3/14/20) and (1/14/21).

We are so lucky to enjoy Regent cruising. 

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I see you have suite 816 on Explorer coming up. In the interest of full disclosure, I was in this cabin in our TA this past March, and had noise issues coming from the vents on top of bed and sitting area. At the beginning I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from, so just put up with it. Once I identified the source, I reported it and they came right away and dealt with it. The noise coming from the vents in the sleeping area never came back, but the noise from the other area did. At this point we just had a couple more days in the cruise so I never bothered to report it again. So, if you hear a continuous weird noise, now you know where its coming from. 

In our Adriatic cruise we're in 912. I think F2 are great value, love the angled balcony!

On 6/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, golfer21 said:

Looking for recommendations on Explorer cabins, we will be doing the transatlantic on Nov. 23. Not sure what cabin would suit us. We have previously been on Mariner in concierge and Voyager in G suite.

Thanks

I have no experience beyond Category D (Concierge Suite); however I can say we absolutely loved our suite throughout a 12 night Mediterranean itinerary. We were in Cabin 1001 which was the last forward passenger cabin in the hallway leading to the bridge. We chose a port side cabin believing we would want to be on the “land” side of the ship but in reality, it didn’t matter much at all. Conveniently located near forward stairway and elevators yet ultra quiet. No noise from the library above either.  A nice feature of this cabin is the “angled” balcony railing which allows forward viewing without leaning over the railing. In layout, furnishings, and amenities Cabin 1001 is identical to all other Concierge suites and with the exception of added amenities, is also the same as all Superior Suites. I can, with no reservation whatsoever, highly recommend a Concierge Suite on the Explorer.  

We have done 4 cruises on Explorer (our favorite ship) and have 2 Explorer and 1 Splendor booked. We are "G people" on Mariner and Voyager. We love the F layout! We always go to the departure port at least a day early and do E cabins (608 or 609) where we want help from the airport (Southhampton, Venice, etc.) but otherwise had an F1 or F2 (717 or 832). I like Forward better with the 4 elevators that go all the way to Deck 4.

If you ever want to splurge do an Explorer Cabin - magnificent.

5 hours ago, markdgriffin said:

I have no experience beyond Category D (Concierge Suite); however I can say we absolutely loved our suite throughout a 12 night Mediterranean itinerary. We were in Cabin 1001 which was the last forward passenger cabin in the hallway leading to the bridge. We chose a port side cabin believing we would want to be on the “land” side of the ship but in reality, it didn’t matter much at all. Conveniently located near forward stairway and elevators yet ultra quiet. No noise from the library above either.  A nice feature of this cabin is the “angled” balcony railing which allows forward viewing without leaning over the railing. In layout, furnishings, and amenities Cabin 1001 is identical to all other Concierge suites and with the exception of added amenities, is also the same as all Superior Suites. I can, with no reservation whatsoever, highly recommend a Concierge Suite on the Explorer.  

But don't go on the other side under the connoisseur club as you get the noise of the heavy chairs moving and then being put back at midnight. We will aim for 1001 &1003 next time on the Explorer and I believe Spend our will be the same. Library and culinary kitchen port side not starboard.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, UUNetBill said:

We’re booked in 911 next spring (I chose it over 912 because I like Porsches).  ¡Viva la angle!

Good to hear!  We got 911 for our Baltic cruise next August on the recommendation of Gudren the Future Cruise Consultant.  She grabbed it for us because of the angled balcony.  I liked the 911 Porsches too!

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, taxare said:

This fall 816 for us! Carol, with all the time you spend on this and the Scenic boards, you sure spend a lot of time taking and thinking about cruising!!! 😀

Looks like we have similar taste in cruising.  Have you sailed on Regent before?  I forgot, which Scenic Eclipse cruise do you have booked?  

By the way, your signature on these boards is not showing up for me.  

Hi Carol,  We have been on five Regent cruises so far with two more in the next six months. We do seem to be covering a lot of the same bases. It was thanks to your post that we booked the April 2021 Tokyo trip. I saw that you did Machu Picchu and the Galapagos separately. We did them together with Tauck on the the Silver Galapagos. We used Scenic for Southeast Asia and that was wonderful. We gave up on the Eclipse....I look forward to reading your review and meeting you in Tokyo on the Explorer!

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, taxare said:

Hi Carol,  We have been on five Regent cruises so far with two more in the next six months. We do seem to be covering a lot of the same bases. It was thanks to your post that we booked the April 2021 Tokyo trip. I saw that you did Machu Picchu and the Galapagos separately. We did them together with Tauck on the the Silver Galapagos. We used Scenic for Southeast Asia and that was wonderful. We gave up on the Eclipse....I look forward to reading your review and meeting you in Tokyo on the Explorer!

I also look forward to meeting you in Tokyo on the Explorer!  Funny that you used Scenic for Southeast Asia.  We are booked for that in February, 2020.  Which itinerary did you do?  

Carol, I don't want to hijack this Regent thread. Since there is no PM on CC feel free to email me at taxare@ymail.com if you would like more information on our Scenic experiences. Thanks!

On 6/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, UUNetBill said:

Took a Transatlantic this past April, and were in an F2...wonderful cabin; spacious bathroom and loads of storage space. We're taking another cruise in Sept and have chosen the same type of cabin