Reservations for shows

2 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Anything is better than having to get there 40 minutes early

Since it's the only way that Princess does things, you don't have much of a choice.

Get there early,  get separate seats to watch the show or stand in the aisle.  

I'll forgo the chit chat in the DR & relax with my book to pass the time. 

We don't mind going early. We get a drink and then sit and read until showtime. We like sitting and reading with a drink so it works well. We don't always get there early enough to get the seats we want but sometimes we do. When we don't get the seats we want we find other seats.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The shows are way too loud and I always have ear plugs.

Finally some other people are making comments about the loudness of the shows.

I have put in complaints, about the loud music, on all of my past several cruises. Nothing happens. On my last cruise on the Pacific Princess over the Holidays I brought a sound meter with me. The production shows averaged 96dB and had peaks of over 110dB. I wear ear plugs at all of the amplified shows. I’m very tired of putting up with the Princess attitude toward this subject.

3 minutes ago, TwoCruisers said:

Finally some other people are making comments about the loudness of the shows.

I have put in complaints, about the loud music, on all of my past several cruises. Nothing happens. On my last cruise on the Pacific Princess over the Holidays I brought a sound meter with me. The production shows averaged 96dB and had peaks of over 110dB. I wear ear plugs at all of the amplified shows. I’m very tired of putting up with the Princess attitude toward this subject.

I agree about the volume but.......

If they turn it down then there will be complaints it is not loud enough.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I agree about the volume but.......

If they turn it down then there will be complaints it is not loud enough.

Personally I like it when the shows are loud. Just like going to see a concert on land, I like it loud and find it gives the best atmosphere. In my opinion music is best enjoyed loud. But I'm only 60 and us young ones are like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

Personally I like it when the shows are loud. Just like going to see a concert on land, I like it loud and find it gives the best atmosphere. In my opinion music is best enjoyed loud. But I'm only 60 and us young ones are like that.

There are different levels of loud.

The loudness that concerts have and now the cruise ships are so loud that the music is distorted. You can’t hear the subtleties of the singing or instruments. It is also painful to the ears. It is also damaging to your hearing. You don’t have to have the music SCREAMING in your ears to enjoy it.

We need some common sense here.

13 hours ago, Coral said:

Depending on the class of ship - you may have to show up quite a bit in advance to get decent seats. Other ships that are less crowded, you can show up 15 minutes early.

We normally show up around 5 min before show time and always find decent seats.  How?  We go to the show intended for the late diners which is usually at 7.  After the show we either head straight to dinner (we do open sitting) or stop for a cocktail and go to dinner about 8:15 - 8:30.  No lines, no hassles.

Hank

8 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Anything is better than having to get there 40 minutes early

The ships on other lines that have reservations do not eliminate the 40 minute early situation. People line up more than 40 minutes in advance in order to get in soon enough to get the seats they want. And those who do not have reservations and wait until shortly before the show to be allowed in if seats are available will also be waiting in the hallway a long time.

On Princess you get there early and wait while seated.

On the other lines you get there early and wait standing up in the hallway.

5 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

There are different levels of loud.

The loudness that concerts have and now the cruise ships are so loud that the music is distorted. You can’t hear the subtleties of the singing or instruments. It is also painful to the ears. It is also damaging to your hearing. You don’t have to have the music SCREAMING in your ears to enjoy it.

We need some common sense here.

I have been on a few cruises and can only comment on those, and I go to just about every show. I have never experienced the music being distorted due to its loudness nor had pain in my ears. Probably just a matter of personal taste. 

Another irritating thing is that they "sometimes" set the volume of background music extremely loud in the show lounge for people to listen to prior to the actual show. Again this is totally unnecessary and since most people just want to read or have a conversation while waiting is really annoying.

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We don't mind going 30-45 minute prior either.

Can watch the escalating bickering of the seat savers and the chest puffers as show time approaches.

We don’t mind showing up earlier either.  It’s pre-show entertainment. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, leck57 said:

I have been on a few cruises and can only comment on those, and I go to just about every show. I have never experienced the music being distorted due to its loudness nor had pain in my ears. Probably just a matter of personal taste. 

Did you read my post #29? I measured the sound levels during the shows. As I said in the post “The production shows averaged 96dB and had peaks of over 110dB”.  This is not a matter of personal taste.

I have been on many cruises starting in 1992. Until about 10 years ago the sound levels were never this high.

If you want, go ahead and damage your hearing.

11 minutes ago, TwoCruisers said:

Did you read my post #29? I measured the sound levels during the shows. As I said in the post “The production shows averaged 96dB and had peaks of over 110dB”.  This is not a matter of personal taste.

I have been on many cruises starting in 1992. Until about 10 years ago the sound levels were never this high.

I also measured the sound level with an app on my phone but all the results were extremely loud. I didn't think it was calibrated properly so I deleted it. 

Thanks for the heads up about the sound levels.  We'll bring earplugs just in case.

One of the reasons that I chose Princess for our upcoming first cruise was for the production shows.  We have early dining scheuduled.  Hubby has difficulty walking distances and standing for any length of time.  Will probably bring a walker for him.  I figured that I would have to go first to stand in line then locate seats.  Am  I going to have a problem on the Coral?

58 minutes ago, dianedebuda said:

Thanks for the heads up about the sound levels.  We'll bring earplugs just in case.

One of the reasons that I chose Princess for our upcoming first cruise was for the production shows.  We have early dining scheuduled.  Hubby has difficulty walking distances and standing for any length of time.  Will probably bring a walker for him.  I figured that I would have to go first to stand in line then locate seats.  Am  I going to have a problem on the Coral?

All the Princess ships have a dedicated section in the back for people with handicaps. They're actually a little quieter than most seating. 

13 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

Yes I read your post. I just don't agree with you, so that's something you have to deal with.

Not once have I heard anyone complain about the noise levels at a show I have been at. The sound levels are certainly not at the range of many concerts I have been too. Anyway let's just agree to disagree on this one as you have your view and I have mine.

1 minute ago, leck57 said:

Yes I read your post. I just don't agree with you, so that's something you have to deal with.

Not once have I heard anyone complain about the noise levels at a show I have been at. The sound levels are certainly not at the range of many concerts I have been too. Anyway let's just agree to disagree on this one as you have your view and I have mine.

You may not have heard people stand up & complain about it at the show lounge but most people seem to think most of their entertainment is deafening.  

You seem to be one of the few people who think it's just right.

Enjoy it, while your hearing lasts.

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

You may not have heard people stand up & complain about it at the show lounge but most people seem to think most of their entertainment is deafening.  

You seem to be one of the few people who think it's just right.

Enjoy it, while your hearing lasts.

"Most"? - what the two or three (or one) on here who agree with you or the possibly small number of people you talk to. I usually cruise with others and can honestly say that it has never been raised in our discussions.

If you've been to, let's say, a middle of the road type concert such as Elton John, the sound levels there are far higher than at Princess shows.

It's fine by me, and my last hearing test showed good results so I'll keep battling on. From my viewpoint, I hope Princess keep things as they are.

There is no need to sign off with the smart comment about enjoying while your hearing lasts. People just have a different view to yours, if you can grasp that situation. It doesn't make you, or me, more right than the other.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Generally you can find decent seats for  non-production shows 15 min or so before. 

But, for the big, Broadway style production shows I’d arrive no later than 30 min. At the very least.  We were on the Grand 2 months ago and lost track of time, arrived about 25 min before a big show and it was absolutely packed. People were being turned away and this  was the second showing of the night. Oh well...

It's always interesting for the first few shows to see  people walking in just a few minutes before show time & expect to get 2 seats together.

You can tell that they've not sailed on any Princess ship prior. 

7 hours ago, leck57 said:

From my viewpoint, I hope Princess keep things as they are.

I'm sure they will as many have complained for years now without anything changing. 

Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

It's always interesting for the first few shows to see  people walking in just a few minutes before show time & expect to get 2 seats together.

You can tell that they've not sailed on any Princess ship prior. 

On most Princess cruises there will be 2 production shows every evening (there are some cruises where the CD will put on a 3rd show if necessary).  Those shows are generally scheduled at 7 and 9.  Yes, that 9pm show can be very crowded and some folks will arrive at the theater more than 30 minutes before show time.  But the 7 PM show will usually not be overly crowded and generally has plenty of empty seats.  Those that arrange their personal schedule so they are always going to the most crowded shows, to the Lido when it is the most crowded, etc. have nobody to blame other then themselves if they are bothered by the crowds.  As we posted earlier, it is usually pretty easy to get a last minute seat (even 2 seats together) at that 7pm show.  

I am not sure what folks expect the Cruise Director to do about that 9pm show problem.  It is simply a fact of cruise life that a disproportionate percentage of passengers prefer to dine early (by 6pm) for various reasons.  This is an issue on most cruise lines...although some ships of other lines do have larger theaters (in relation to the total number of passengers) then we have on the Grand and Royal Class vessels of Princess.  We have seen some early Princess diners go to dinner at 5:30 and rush through their meal so they can get to the 7pm show.  Personally, we love to dine (not gulp down our food) so we simply arrange our personal schedule so we go to dinner after the 7pm show (which avoids the awful crowds in the showroom and for open dining).  Since we dine a little later for dinner it makes it easier to dine a little later at lunch (when we go to the Lido) and avoid the Lido crowding that occurs from about noon to 12:45.  

For us the issue is pretty simple.  Folks can continue to stick to their favorite personal schedule and also continue to whine about the crowds and lines.  or …. They can modify their personal schedule to adjust to the, then, current situation.  For most folks, the choice is their own.  For a few, there are medical problems that mandate early dining...and for those folks we have the utmost sympathy.

Hank

• Like 1

I have not found theater and lounge sound levels overbearing. Pretty certain the trained audio techs do numerous sound checks for the best levels and quality. With 40+ Princess cruises I don't recall hearing any on board complaints regarding sound levels. Sorry some feel the sound is too loud, but that is the way it will probably stay. Maybe on small ships with smaller theaters the sound levels would be lower. I do understand that some with hearing aids hear sounds differently than those without them and certain frequencies may be difficult with hearing aids.

• Like 2