Rent a tuxedo?

lovetotraveltx

I haven't done it although my husband had a freebie when White Star luggage failed to deliver our formal wear. From the Cunard website -

QM2 and QV

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos including shirts, trousers and dinner jackets on board from the shops

Tuxedo packages range from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights

From the Cunard Website FAQ.

QM2 and QV

Yes, gentlemen can rent tuxedos, including shirts, pants and dinner jackets, on board from the shops

We do not currently offer a rental service for ladies formal wear on board, however a range of women’s evening wear is available to purchase from our on board shops. 

If you’re willing to shop on line there are clothiers that are reliable enough that you can find a quality tux for $500.00. They are frequently on sale and that’s when you grab them. Quality stores with brick and mortar outlets like Jos A Bank in the US allow returns if you’re not pleased. The other accoutrements that go with it, (shirt, studs, vest or cummerbund, etc.) will set you back that much more, but you will own your tux. It will likely pay for itself over time (mine certainly has) and is worth the purchase.  Don’t get avant garde on your choice, basic black, classic style, notched lapels (shawl collar is best on a dinner jacket, save that for later) satin facings and trouser stripes will never go out of style.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We will be on the QM2 in August for the first time. Is it possible to rent a tuxedo for the trip? Have you done it? What is the cost?

Cant help with tux info but are u on the  QM2 Transatlantic Aug 11th or the 18th? We r on the b to b ? 

I am on the QM 2 transatlantic for a b2b July 31, 2020. I went on Amazon and found one for 99.00 from Kenneth Cole.  Was surprised at the quality.  Just need to buy shirts ,already have the studs and cummerbund.  

10 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I haven't done it although my husband had a freebie when White Star luggage failed to deliver our formal wear. From the Cunard website -

QM2 and QV

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos including shirts, trousers and dinner jackets on board from the shops

Of course, for less than that $250 you can buy a really decent tuxedo, and dress shirt, cummerbund, bow tie and cuff links.  

Are you sure you will NEVER sail Cunard again, or go to a formal evening wedding, or simply want to dress for some special occasion?

• Like 1

If you are UK based then Slaters menswear sell 2 piece DJ and trousers starting from £69 and dress shirts start from £16, cummerbunds from £10 - cheaper than renting and you have them for your next cruise too!

Slaters is hard to beat. The Glasgow shop was actually listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as having the most gents suits for sale on display, and the prices are great.

One of my sons bought his dinner suit/tuxedo there for only £75 and you would never think it was so cheap. I bought my Baumler there.

Great for shoes as well. Makes such as Barkers, are less than half the London prices. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Stewart

Hi Lovetotraveltx,

My husband and I crossed the first week of May.  It is fabulous! 

Back to your original question and our research results.  First, if you buy a tux accessory, Menswear House will give you a coupon for your next Menswear purchase at 1/2 off.  Go head and buy the bow tie or cummerbund then use the coupon for the tux.

Love the suggestion for consignment shop purchase, but my husband would never sign up for that deal.

He did rent on the QM2 for two evenings.  The cost for one is $90, two is $130 and three is $175.  Be prepared to purchase the bow tie and cummerbund.  (Hint, hint buy before your vacation for better price and selection).

Be honest with your self: Will I really use this tux again?  We attend dress up affairs where a dark suit is all a man needs. Otherwise, the tux will sit in the closet. 

I would love to vacation on another Cunard adventure but no plans in the future. 

My advise is to weigh each option and be realistic.

Best,

Phillyrose

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillyrose said:

Hi Lovetotraveltx,

My husband and I crossed the first week of May.  It is fabulous! 

Back to your original question and our research results.  First, if you buy a tux accessory, Menswear House will give you a coupon for your next Menswear purchase at 1/2 off.  Go head and buy the bow tie or cummerbund then use the coupon for the tux.

Love the suggestion for consignment shop purchase, but my husband would never sign up for that deal.

He did rent on the QM2 for two evenings.  The cost for one is $90, two is $130 and three is $175.  Be prepared to purchase the bow tie and cummerbund.  (Hint, hint buy before your vacation for better price and selection).

Be honest with your self: Will I really use this tux again?  We attend dress up affairs where a dark suit is all a man needs. Otherwise, the tux will sit in the closet. 

I would love to vacation on another Cunard adventure but no plans in the future. 

My advise is to weigh each option and be realistic.

Best,

Phillyrose

If you need it for 3 nights you’d probably find it cheaper to buy one.  However if you old want it fir 1 or 2 nights and are confident you will never need a tux again then hiring is probably the cheapest option.

You must be absolutely 100% certain you will never never need one again before renting for more than one night makes sense. Also check terms of rental as the 3 gala nights are spread over 5 nights that is a 5 night rental. Find an outlet mall near home with a good discount you can get a reasonable suit that fits you and that is brand new and not worn by someone else for $250

10 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Slaters is hard to beat. The Glasgow shop was actually listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as having the most gents suits for sale on display, and the prices are great.

One of my sons bought his dinner suit/tuxedo there for only £75 and you would never think it was so cheap. I bought my Baumler there.

Great for shoes as well. Makes such as Barkers, are less than half the London prices. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Stewart

I love Slaters in Manchester. It's an Aladdin's cave for the gent about town.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:36 PM, fizzy1 said:

Cant help with tux info but are u on the  QM2 Transatlantic Aug 11th or the 18th? We r on the b to b ? 

We are on the August 18 crossing our first transatlantic. Who is in your party and where are  you from?

3 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We are on the August 18 crossing our first transatlantic. Who is in your party and where are  you from?

You will have an amazing time !! Me and hubby. . 4th crossing for us. She is a stunning Liner . We are from the south coast of England 

Mister bought a basic tux with a waistcoat and trousers that also worked with a regular suit. The shop threw in a shirt for “free” and a second suit jacket for half price. In the end it was less expensive than renting for our crossing. Turned out, he’s worn the tux twice more in the year since we travelled, so it’s turned out it was a good purchase.

For decent quality accessories, I found some very nice (normally-)pricey dress shirts, cummerbund, bow ties etc. at Winners/TJ Maxx etc. for about a quarter of their regular prices or less, albeit it was somewhat hit-and-miss over a period of months.

Not quite bespoke quality but nice high-grade cottons and silks (I don't do polyester!)

• Like 2