advice on Norway cruise?

Hi, 

We've had our eye on a Norway cruise for a few years but our plans and itineraries have never seemed to work out.  We just noticed a 2020 Azamara cruise that looks very interesting-- goes to the Lofotens, North Cape and Svalbard (which all seem like places we'd love to see), but I guess because it's an older ship it doesn't stop in Geiranger or Flam (does cruise Trollfjord and stop in Alesund and has an overnight in Bergen though, so I expect if we wanted to we could see one or both as an excursion from those ports). 

We like smaller ships (looked at a Windstar cruise a couple of years ago that went to the North Cape but we made other plans and they don't seem to have repeated it), so I don't think we'd want a larger ship.  

All in all, this seems like a pretty exciting itinerary for us (we also like that it starts in Oslo and ends in Copenhagen, since we've never been to those cities), but figured I ask if anyone had advice on whether we should look for a ship that can cruise Geirangerfjord and to Flam, whether we should/should not try to visit those from the ports we do visit, or any other words of wisdom for someone who hasn't been to Norway (and not sure when we'd get back).

Thanks!  Here is the full itinerary (copied from the roll call 😉)

Itinerary

• Day 1 ...
  • Day 2 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 3 ...
  • Day 4 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 5 ...
    Svolvaer
  • Day 5 ...
    Trollfjord
  • Day 6 ...
    Narvik
  • Day 7 ...
    Honnigsvag
  • Day 7 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 8 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
  • Day 11 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 12 ...
  • Day 13 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 14 ...
  • Day 15 ...
  • Day 16 ...
  • Day 17 ...
  • Day 18 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 19 ...

It’s not hard to visit Flåm on a day trip from Bergen. Take a look at the Norway in a Nutshell package, which includes the Flåm railway, Nærøyfjord cruise, and part of the Oslo-Bergen rail line.

I think it looks like an interesting itinerary. Svalbard is fascinating, and the Lofoten Islands (Svolvær) are beautiful. You’ll also have a bit of fjord cruising on the way in and out of Olden.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:03 AM, Doh15 said:

Hi, 

We've had our eye on a Norway cruise for a few years but our plans and itineraries have never seemed to work out.  We just noticed a 2020 Azamara cruise that looks very interesting-- goes to the Lofotens, North Cape and Svalbard (which all seem like places we'd love to see), but I guess because it's an older ship it doesn't stop in Geiranger or Flam (does cruise Trollfjord and stop in Alesund and has an overnight in Bergen though, so I expect if we wanted to we could see one or both as an excursion from those ports). 

We like smaller ships (looked at a Windstar cruise a couple of years ago that went to the North Cape but we made other plans and they don't seem to have repeated it), so I don't think we'd want a larger ship.  

All in all, this seems like a pretty exciting itinerary for us (we also like that it starts in Oslo and ends in Copenhagen, since we've never been to those cities), but figured I ask if anyone had advice on whether we should look for a ship that can cruise Geirangerfjord and to Flam, whether we should/should not try to visit those from the ports we do visit, or any other words of wisdom for someone who hasn't been to Norway (and not sure when we'd get back).

Itinerary

• Day 1 ...
  • Day 2 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 3 ...
  • Day 4 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 5 ...
    Svolvaer
  • Day 5 ...
    Trollfjord
  • Day 6 ...
    Narvik
  • Day 7 ...
    Honnigsvag
  • Day 7 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 8 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
  • Day 11 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 12 ...
  • Day 13 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 14 ...
  • Day 15 ...
  • Day 16 ...
  • Day 17 ...
  • Day 18 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 19 ...

That look like an awesome itinerary. I think Azamara might be out of our price range,  but which dates did you find? Also, do Azamara include gratuities?

On 7/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Doh15 said:

Hi, 

Itinerary

• Day 1 ...
  • Day 2 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 3 ...
  • Day 4 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 5 ...
    Svolvaer
  • Day 5 ...
    Trollfjord
  • Day 6 ...
    Narvik
  • Day 7 ...
    Honnigsvag
  • Day 7 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 8 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 9 ...
  • Day 9 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 10 ...
  • Day 11 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 12 ...
  • Day 13 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 14 ...
  • Day 15 ...
  • Day 16 ...
  • Day 17 ...
  • Day 18 ...
    Cruising
  • Day 19 ...

We did a wonderful RCI cruise on Serenade of the Seas last month, visiting many of the ports you listed.  The North Cape, 

Alesund, Flam and Geiranger were the best ports.   The Path of the Trolls tour at Alesund was the very best.   Loved the North Cape.  The fjord at Geiranger was the best fjord.  Tromso was nice, but probably our least interesting port.

Here is my review of our cruise.  I did forget to mention in the review our excursion in Flam, which was pretty nice, Norway in a Nutshell.

Stockholm and Norway Aritic Circle

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=659526&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

It took us a number of cruises to hit all the "best must-sees".

Looking at that itinerary, for me, the absolute "best" are Svalbard, the North Cape, the Lofotens and Trollfjord.

As only smaller ships can go to Svalbard and Trollfjord, I would go with this itinerary.  You can pick up more mainstream ports/scenic sailing on larger ships on other itineraries, because you will probably want to go again!

We didn't much care for Narvik, but pouring rain throughout the day didn't help. It is an important port for maritime history. On departure, the captain spoke a few words and a wreath was dropped overboard in memory of sailors lost at sea.

BTW, why is AGADIR listed?  😉

Thanks for the comments/info/advice. 

We did tentatively pick this cruise (which is a July 2020 sailing) because it went north-- we definitely were hoping to see the Lofotens and North Cape-- Svalbard was kind of a bonus but seems like a good one.  I like the suggestion of doing the less common ports now and hoping to be able to go back to others later 🙂  (Not sure how Agadir got in there-- should be Ny Alesund I think 😊)

We didn't see many other trips that hit the places we wanted to go, although I just came across a Crystal cruise from London in June 2020 which has a nice itinerary but that cruise doesn't get to Svalbard and my guess is we'd somewhat prefer Azamara (smaller, less formal ship) to Crystal (we haven't cruised Azamara, or Crystal, before but I understand gratuities and some alcoholic beverages are included in the cruise price).  

LONDON (DOVER), ENGLAND    
Times will depend on tidal restrictions
Embark PM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
2 Jun 20, Sat CRUISING THE NORTH SEA - -  
3 Jun 21, Sun BERGEN, NORWAY    8:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
4 Jun 22, Mon HELLESYLT/GEIRANGER, NORWAY    7:00 AM 9:00 AM DISCOVER MORE
4 Jun 22, Mon CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN FJORDS - -  
4 Jun 22, Mon GEIRANGER, NORWAY    10:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
5 Jun 23, Tue CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN SEA - -  
6 Jun 24, Wed Å I LOFOTEN, NORWAY 7:30 AM 8:30 AM DISCOVER MORE
6 Jun 24, Wed GRAVDAL, NORWAY 10:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
7 Jun 25, Thu CRUISING THE COAST OF NORWAY - -  
7 Jun 25, Thu TROMSØ, NORWAY 1:00 PM 8:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
8 Jun 26, Fri HONNINGSVÅG, NORWAY 10:00 AM 10:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
8 Jun 26, Fri CRUISING THE NORTH CAPE - -  
9 Jun 27 - Jun 28 CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN SEA - -  
11 Jun 29, Mon FLÅM, NORWAY 6:30 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
12 Jun 30, Tue STAVANGER, NORWAY    8:00 AM 5:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
13 Jul 01, Wed SCENIC CRUISING OSLO FJORD - -  
13 Jul 01, Wed OSLO, NORWAY 1:00 PM - DISCOVER MORE
14 Jul 02, Thu OSLO, NORWAY - 3:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
15 Jul 03, Fri COPENHAGEN, DENMAR

If Agadir should actually be Ny Alesund then this is another bonus, and a huge one at that as the number of ships which are permitted to visit there is tiny.

We visited this port when we also visited Longyearbyen, and it is actually unique, as it is an international research facility. They have very strict rules and you must absolutely stay on the paths, not only for the scientific equipment scattered around, but also because it is a breeding ground for terns and geese. Roald Amundsen flew from here  It is only a "walkabout" port but it is a privilege to visit at all.

You really won't get much further north unless you go on an expedition to the N. Pole!

I would go with this one.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, Sallyandtex said:

That look like an awesome itinerary. I think Azamara might be out of our price range,  but which dates did you find? Also, do Azamara include gratuities?

Azamara does include gratuities and has included basic alcohol and soda. If you are interested in the Norway itinerary, someone on the Azamara board is currently doing a live trip report on their Norway cruise.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Doh15 said:

Thanks for the comments/info/advice. 

We did tentatively pick this cruise (which is a July 2020 sailing) because it went north-- we definitely were hoping to see the Lofotens and North Cape-- Svalbard was kind of a bonus but seems like a good one.  I like the suggestion of doing the less common ports now and hoping to be able to go back to others later 🙂  (Not sure how Agadir got in there-- should be Ny Alesund I think 😊)

We didn't see many other trips that hit the places we wanted to go, although I just came across a Crystal cruise from London in June 2020 which has a nice itinerary but that cruise doesn't get to Svalbard and my guess is we'd somewhat prefer Azamara (smaller, less formal ship) to Crystal (we haven't cruised Azamara, or Crystal, before but I understand gratuities and some alcoholic beverages are included in the cruise price).  

LONDON (DOVER), ENGLAND    
Times will depend on tidal restrictions
Embark PM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
2 Jun 20, Sat CRUISING THE NORTH SEA - -  
3 Jun 21, Sun BERGEN, NORWAY    8:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
4 Jun 22, Mon HELLESYLT/GEIRANGER, NORWAY    7:00 AM 9:00 AM DISCOVER MORE
4 Jun 22, Mon CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN FJORDS - -  
4 Jun 22, Mon GEIRANGER, NORWAY    10:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
5 Jun 23, Tue CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN SEA - -  
6 Jun 24, Wed Å I LOFOTEN, NORWAY 7:30 AM 8:30 AM DISCOVER MORE
6 Jun 24, Wed GRAVDAL, NORWAY 10:00 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
7 Jun 25, Thu CRUISING THE COAST OF NORWAY - -  
7 Jun 25, Thu TROMSØ, NORWAY 1:00 PM 8:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
8 Jun 26, Fri HONNINGSVÅG, NORWAY 10:00 AM 10:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
8 Jun 26, Fri CRUISING THE NORTH CAPE - -  
9 Jun 27 - Jun 28 CRUISING THE NORWEIGAN SEA - -  
11 Jun 29, Mon FLÅM, NORWAY 6:30 AM 6:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
12 Jun 30, Tue STAVANGER, NORWAY    8:00 AM 5:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
13 Jul 01, Wed SCENIC CRUISING OSLO FJORD - -  
13 Jul 01, Wed OSLO, NORWAY 1:00 PM - DISCOVER MORE
14 Jul 02, Thu OSLO, NORWAY - 3:00 PM DISCOVER MORE
15 Jul 03, Fri COPENHAGEN, DENMAR

Do you think you couldtell me the dates of this cruise? I can find similar ones but no this one on my search

I looked as some of the prices for the Azamara and Crystal.    Prices were way more than what we had on Royal Caribbean.

I suppose if you don't have to budget for travel, it is not a problem, but we like to do at least two overseas trips/cruises a year.

Next time you post a nice cruise from a high priced cruise line, please inform us of the cost.

8 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Next time you post a nice cruise from a high priced cruise line, please inform us of the cost.

The original post did clearly mentioned that it was an Azamara cruise. It kind of goes without saying that it’s going to cost a bit. (Unless you’re a regular on Ponant or Silverseas!)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We did Azamara from Amsterdam to Nordkapp in August 2016 and loved it.  I wish they had had this itinerary then, as the opportunity to get to Svalbard would have been a real bonus [especially because we had great weather: 70 degrees F and sunny at Nordkapp!]  Here's my blog about the trip:

https://jazzbeauxnorwegianfjordscruise2016.wordpress.com

• Like 1

The 14 day Crystal cruise from Dover on 06/19/20 listed above has ocean view cabins listed for approximately $8000 per person including tax and port fees. (Depends on cabin location).   Crystal fares include gratuities and all beverages (alcohol,coffee, waters, sodas) other than super premium wines and spirits.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/london-to-copenhagen-ocs200619-14#suites-and-fares

~Nancy

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

The 14 day Crystal cruise from Dover on 06/19/20 listed above has ocean view cabins listed for approximately $8000 per person including tax and port fees. (Depends on cabin location).   Crystal fares include gratuities and all beverages (alcohol,coffee, waters, sodas) other than super premium wines and spirits.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/london-to-copenhagen-ocs200619-14#suites-and-fares

~Nancy

$8 K per person, that is THREE times what I paid for a Royal Caribbean balcony cruise.  Since we enjoy the Diamond Happy Hour, we never have to purchase any alcohol.