Hot in Anchorage

BarbinMich

Any word on how these high temps have been affecting excursions and glacier viewing?

For instance, do the glaciers calve more when the temps are up? Is it harder/easier to get to the glaciers (e.g. for scenic cruising days)? Are the temps causing wildlife to be more or less visible/active?

I was just on the Island for two cruises. It was 85 when we were in Skagway. I did not need anything but a light windbreaker at the glaciers on my southbound cruise. The naturalist said the glaciers calve more frequently when it's raining than in sunny weather. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Looks like it's due to cool down in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau in the next week and some rain is expected too.

Naturally.  Mother Nature must know I am coming.  Still think I will pack 2 pair of shorts since I will be visiting Alaska during a three week time period.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

I was just on the Island for two cruises. It was 85 when we were in Skagway. I did not need anything but a light windbreaker at the glaciers on my southbound cruise. The naturalist said the glaciers calve more frequently when it's raining than in sunny weather. 

Hey Geoherb, I tried to send you a CC message but it wouldn’t let me. We’re in Icy Point Strait (or is it Icy Strait Point 🤔) today. Please email me @ the.lisle @ Gmail . Com sometime. I’ve got a story to tell you about transit day in VC with your favorite frequent flyer guy. 😵. Wish I’d gotten your email while we were together. BTW, it’s very hot here today too. Not liking it. 

We just got off the Radiance today and every port we hit was warm/hot and not a drop of rain.  We did see some calving at Hubbard glacier. The naturalist on board said sometimes the warm weather causes more icebergs in the water, which sometimes makes it difficult for ships to get in close to the glacier. 

Hottest in Alaska I've ever seen and I was born and raised up here. In Anchorage we have been breaking daily records for over a month now. On the 4th we set the all time high. Trouble is, we are on fire due the heat. And fire means one thing, "SMOKE"

Our heat wave continues. But yesterday after we had spent a night in a very nice hotel room in Whittier, where it is hot too, but then, took the 5.5 hour Philip's 26 Glacier Cruise. Excellent trip, and doing so we got away from the smoke (most of it anyway) and the heat. 

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 113.JPG

Edited by kennicott

22 hours ago, kennicott said:
Hottest in Alaska I've ever seen and I was born and raised up here. In Anchorage we have been breaking daily records for over a month now. On the 4th we set the all time high. Trouble is, we are on fire due the heat. And fire means one thing, "SMOKE"

They are blaming our haze down by Crater Lake in southern Oregon on smoke from your fires in Alaska. Hope it clears up some for you up there.

Been up here over 3 weeks and it is hottest in over 20 yrs. Went North to Paxston (Tangle Lakes) over weekend and was still hot. Will be cooling down this weekend(70s). Hope so, have 3 weeks to go.

Just off the Golden Northbound.  Very warm in both College Fjord and Glacier Bay.  It seemed a little too wrong to be glacier viewing in both locations in shorts and t-shirts.  We were able to get very close to Harvard as not too much ice was in the water.  Apparently the closest Golden has gotten this season.PANO_20190705_183900_vr.thumb.jpg.f8181afe37cedb91eb90b6e6bfc1c4cf.jpg