In retrospect, what are belongings you wish you brought?

Cariot

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:41 AM, pieshops said:

I forgot it the first time incruised because I really did not think I needed it but every cruise after brought it as long as we had a balcony es especially a rear facing balcony and that is a fishing pole , nothing like waking up first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee and trolling for some big game fish, now it is easier in port but still fun 

OK, I need to ask... seriously??!!  a fishing pole???  Are you being sarcastic (sometimes I really can't tell)

Kelly

13 minutes ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

OK, I need to ask... seriously??!!  a fishing pole???  Are you being sarcastic (sometimes I really can't tell)

Kelly

I was thinking the same thing.   You’d need a lot of line on your reel.  Lol.  

This is when traveling in general:

hat...I went to Hawaii in May and rented a convertible. I'm not a hat person but when I came home, my scalp was burning and I had all this dry skin peeling off. I've never had that happen to me before (and my first car was a convertible and I'm regularly in the sun)

hair dryer...This is assuming I have a little room to spare and going on a cruise or to Europe. The hair dryers on cruises generally are really low powdered. Likewise in Europe low power. If no space, I could do without my hair dryer. 

1 meal prep container...On land based vacations I don't really eat out that often (maybe once a day or every other day). I prefer eating out of supermarkets. This was really helpful on my last long vacation because if I knew I would be out awhile, I would have a meal I could take with me (usually a small salad, a sandwich or bread/cheese, and a piece of fruit). This is really low but I am the person who takes stuff at buffets when no one is looking. It was nice to have with me a meal of 2 hard boiled eggs, a bagels with lox and cream cheese, fruit, and cheese and crackers. 

Sugar substitute packets, ranch, and ketchup- What I lose in sugar packets, I'll make it up with the sugar in ketchup and ranch.

Laundry pods.....I generally overpack because I'm someone who cannot rewear something without washing it, and I don't want to wash my clothing other than a bra and delicates in a sink. Unless my ticket happens to include 1 checked in piece of luggage, the airlines isn't getting more $ from me ($60 each one to check in on American on BA, and $30 each way on any economy ticket) so I do carry ons and just wash my laundry at a laundromat when  I need too (generally I can get between 5-8 days of clothing depending on time of year and my plans). This is where my meal prep food comes in handy lol. 

We were really glad we brought one of these on our cruise.  Made time in the pool, on the beach, etc so much more relaxing, not having to worry about cell phones, wallets, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5900D-Personal-Gunmetal/dp/B005K6JQXQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=master+lock+5900d&qid=1563318220&s=gateway&sprefix=master+lock+59&sr=8-1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

Kelly

I think the reference to the big game fish is the giveaway 😊

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

We were really glad we brought one of these on our cruise.  Made time in the pool, on the beach, etc so much more relaxing, not having to worry about cell phones, wallets, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5900D-Personal-Gunmetal/dp/B005K6JQXQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=master+lock+5900d&qid=1563318220&s=gateway&sprefix=master+lock+59&sr=8-1

Ohh that's a great idea! But I wonder how sturdy/unbreakable it really is. Can't go just by amazon reviews

• Like 1

I will second the nightlight.  A few years ago on a middle-of-the-night bathroom trip, I missed and ended up on the floor.  I thought I had broken my tailbone.  I don't turn on the bathroom light because it is too bright & jars me awake.  Also, since the switch is typically outside the door, the light would disturb my hubby's sleep.  So, I have a battery powered, motion detecting nightlight that I set on the bathroom counter.  It's about 3-4 inches square, so takes up very little space.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cariot said:

Ohh that's a great idea! But I wonder how sturdy/unbreakable it really is. Can't go just by amazon reviews

Very sturdy.  We accidentally dropped it on the concrete area around the pool at Harvest Caye and it did not get damaged at all.  And the cable is very stout!

4 hours ago, dmdiver said:

I will second the nightlight.  A few years ago on a middle-of-the-night bathroom trip, I missed and ended up on the floor.  I thought I had broken my tailbone.  I don't turn on the bathroom light because it is too bright & jars me awake.  Also, since the switch is typically outside the door, the light would disturb my hubby's sleep.  So, I have a battery powered, motion detecting nightlight that I set on the bathroom counter.  It's about 3-4 inches square, so takes up very little space.

My wife packed several battery-operated tea lights for the bathroom and bedroom areas.  Gave just enough light to keep us from bumping into things, but not enough to bother her light sleep.

For all travel, land or cruise I bring

• power strip with USB ports to plug all of our electronics in one place so we don't forget one of them when we leave
  • zip lock bags in several sizes for wet clothes, or snacks to take on tours, or for my sea shell collections!
  • metal dry cleaner hangers so I have enough hanging spaces
  • small medical and medicine kit 
  • binoculars
  • extra SD cards
  • clothe pins for hanging stuff to dry and to keep beach towels from blowing off the lounge chairs by the pool
  • small games, typically dice type games that are easy to travel with and easy to play on small cocktail tables or pool bar tables. LCR, Tenzi, Pig and Greed are our favorites and all small and easy to pack
  • Powder Creamora as there never is enough in our cabin or hotel room for my morning coffee, I also bring small breakfast cookies to munch on with my coffee to hold me over till we are ready to go out to breakfast
  • typically I bring only two outfits for dinner, I really don't care if someone sees me in the same outfit! I do bring two just encase I spill on myself! It has happened!
  • refillable water bottles, to have water in our rooms and when we go on tours