Which ship.....grandchildren 14,13,3,and1

dpw

We, the grandparents, will be taking our two sons, DIL’s, and grandchildren on a cruise over Christmas holidays. The grandchildren are ages 14, 13, 3 and 1. We have been on the allure with the two older ones and that was great. I am concerned with the younger ones. Mostly interested in appropriate water/swim activities on board. Not interested in the organized children groups.   Looking at oasis with the new water slides for the older ones , but not sure what is available for the younger ones.  Maybe Carnival?  TIA

It really should not matter what ship you are on.   

Kids should have fun on pretty much any ship(Unless they sit around on their device all day and do nothing).

At  3 & 1 they will not even know the difference.

Do what you want to do.  Don't plan with the intention pleasing others.

I can bring my two(1 & 14) on HAL and they love being on any ship....

The only thing you need is a splash pad for the 1 year old unless they( and the 3 yo) are fully potty trained.  Second consideration is the nursery if you want adult family time like at a specialty restaurant.  

None of the kid's clubs take them to the pool...that's up to the parents/adutlts.  Unless a child is totally potty-trained, they are NOT allowed in ANY pool.  There may be a "splash zone" on some ships....for the diapered kids.

The 3 year old and up will enjoy the clubs....the 1 year old can make use of nursery on ships that have it.    Not all do. If you want that option, choose carefully.  All of the bigger, newer ship have that option.

Little ones will enjoy pools/splash pad area, carousel, ice skating, mini golf, sports court just to chase balls.  Older kids will be familiar with flow rider, pools, etc., having been on the Allure.  I would go with an Oasis class ship again, perhaps Harmony or Symphony.  

At least make sure whatever ship you choose it has a splash pad for the 1-year-old.  Non toilet trained children are not allowed in pools; no swim diapers either. 

You might consider Anthem for a change.  They have the iFly, which is fun for everyone, bumper cars, sports complex, roller skating, older kids could be part of Escape room, kids area.  We never get bored on Anthem.  I know it sails out of NJ but we have not had a problem with cold weather either.

Speaking as someone who just went on a vacation with a 3 year old and 1 year old, book a ship with a nursery! This way mom and dad can have a relaxed meal which is basically impossible to do with kids that age. A baby splash pad would be nice as well.  For the bigger kids I would think the sporty things on the bigger ships would be good or a port intensive itinerary.

Edited by flippergirl

Thank you to all who responded!  Now I know I need a splash pad and the 1 year old cannot use a pool.  I like the idea of the Anthem with activities different from the Allure for the older kids.  I will have to research any ships closer to the Caribbean that may offer something similar.