Drink package exceptions question

We are going on Anthem in September, we've been on RC cruise including Anthem many times, but I am contemplating a premium drink package for the first time, I know they require all people in the cabin to purchase the package, I have read that people have called and they have given you a Refreshment Package for a person instead, my husband doesn't really drink so two drink packages are def way too expensive, I was just wondering, do they still do this, meaning give one person a premium and the other a refreshment package? What reasons do people give to have them do it? Ideally I would love to get a Premium and just a soda package, but I'm sure they wouldn't do that. Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, nicwithcandy said:

We are going on Anthem in September, we've been on RC cruise including Anthem many times, but I am contemplating a premium drink package for the first time, I know they require all people in the cabin to purchase the package, I have read that people have called and they have given you a Refreshment Package for a person instead, my husband doesn't really drink so two drink packages are def way too expensive, I was just wondering, do they still do this, meaning give one person a premium and the other a refreshment package? What reasons do people give to have them do it? Ideally I would love to get a Premium and just a soda package, but I'm sure they wouldn't do that. Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

Yes they still do it. You don't need a reason. 

1 hour ago, nicwithcandy said:

DO you guys know if they allow you to just do a soda package for the other person or does it have the more expensive Refreshment package?

It has to be the refreshment package. 

I was told by bar staff on another ship that if you buy your Deluxe drink package when you board, only 1 needs to buy. I verified by commenting that all over 21 in the cabin has to buy it and he again stated that all over 21 have to buy if bought in advance on line. Once you board, they'll sell 1 person the Deluxe drink package. Sure you're missing out on $45-47 per day not incl. gratuity and on board pricing is around $63 per day not incl. gratuity but you're saving on not buying a package that nobody will use. Or you could wait until the 10 drink drink card is offered (usually around day 4), not everyone over 21 in the cabin  has to buy that either.

Edited by wolfcathorse
  • Like 3

Sailing on Symphony next February. Same situation. Daughter drinks, I don't. Called Royal today and daughter bought the Deluxe Beverage Package for $57/day, plus tax and tip. I was able to buy the Refreshment Package for $28/day, plus tax and tip.

My refreshment package includes:

- Fountain soda and refills

- Coca Cola beverages

- Coca Cola souvenir cup

- Mocktails (non-alcoholic beverages like a cocktail)

- Bottled water/sparkling water

- Premium coffee/tea

- Fresh squeezed juices

These packages are also good at Coco Cay.

Will keep watching for price drop, then will cancel and rebook.

We were also able to use our $100 onboard credit toward our purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, barb65 said:

Sailing on Symphony next February. Same situation. Daughter drinks, I don't. Called Royal today and daughter bought the Deluxe Beverage Package for $57/day, plus tax and tip. I was able to buy the Refreshment Package for $28/day, plus tax and tip.

My refreshment package includes:

- Fountain soda and refills

- Coca Cola beverages

- Coca Cola souvenir cup

- Mocktails (non-alcoholic beverages like a cocktail)

- Bottled water/sparkling water

- Premium coffee/tea

- Fresh squeezed juices

These packages are also good at Coco Cay.

Will keep watching for price drop, then will cancel and rebook.

We were also able to use our $100 onboard credit toward our purchase.

There is no tax.  The only thing added to the per day price is 18% gratuity.

• Like 1

Quick question .... 

There are 3 of us sailing on Quantum in October.  DH will buy a Deluxe Beverage package,  I'll get the Refreshment Package (I don't drink!) by calling them. Will my 16yr DD have to get a refreshment package too or can she get the soda package?  

4 minutes ago, MsBehave said:

Quick question .... 

There are 3 of us sailing on Quantum in October.  DH will buy a Deluxe Beverage package,  I'll get the Refreshment Package (I don't drink!) by calling them. Will my 16yr DD have to get a refreshment package too or can she get the soda package?  

No she will not, its only for anyone in the room who is 21 and over

4 hours ago, MsBehave said:

Quick question .... 

She can get the soda package if she wants it, but she's not required to get ANY package, since she's under 21yo.

23 hours ago, barb65 said:

Prices you are getting are on the high side (most of ours would be $49-56 and $20-24).  You can cancel and rebook any of these if you see a lower price.  Normally you would do this online but with the Deluxe/Refreshment only bookable by calling you likely would need to call for the better price.  Who knows, maybe they will just refund the difference rather than doing separate cancel and book transactions.

11 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Prices you are getting are on the high side (most of ours would be $49-56 and $20-24).  You can cancel and rebook any of these if you see a lower price.  Normally you would do this online but with the Deluxe/Refreshment only bookable by calling you likely would need to call for the better price.  Who knows, maybe they will just refund the difference rather than doing separate cancel and book transactions.

It would be nice if they just refunded the difference however I’ve not seen any reports of that.  It’s always been a full cancel and rebook.

9 hours ago, LeeW said:

Beverages are on sale right now. Its called Primed for Savings in answer to Amazon's Prime Day.The sale runs from July 15 to July 21 for sailings departing July 25, 2019 through February 15, 2020.