Panorama

I am not exactly a "Worldly" cruiser, but I do have a handful under my belt.  Carnival by the way, is my cruise line of choice.  They truly are "Fun Ships!" Hoping this question is not too absurd.  I've done the Mexican Riviera cruise three times now over the last two years, as it's previously been so affordable.  Also, Carnival's home port in Long Beach, CA. is a convenient location for my travel needs.  My question is this, while perusing Carnival's web booking site, it certainly seems the prices for this particular cruise have gone up substantially for 2020.  Is this my imagination, or are we are we now paying for this brand new ship, "Panorama?"  If that's the case, bring back the "Splendor" or "Miracle!" They are beautiful ships and more bang for my buck!!

I don't think we're paying for the new ship - I think it's a new ship, which cruisers in California have not really experienced and they know we all want to try it, so they can ask more for the cruises (supply/demand).  Maybe try a different line for a year or so until the "new" wears off?  I live in California and as soon as I heard we were going to get a brand new ship, I booked.  I wanted to try the Havana area.  We're going for the Valentine's Day week cruise in 2020.  I'm sure there are lots of cruising Californians that are just like me.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Panorama in Feb. 2020.  The cost was on par with our Splendor this coming Sept.  Both are balcony cabins. I will be interested to hear from other cruisers about their cost comparisons.

17 minutes ago, GLCM GUY said:

We are booked on the Panorama in Feb. 2020.  The cost was on par with our Splendor this coming Sept.  Both are balcony cabins. I will be interested to hear from other cruisers about their cost comparisons.

We have a 1A porthole cabin with one non-converting bed and sofa in February on the Panorama for $78 less than we paid for a similar cabin on the Dream in January. Granted the itineraries are not the same, Western Caribbean v Mexican Riviera, but we've sailed the Mexican Riviera 7 times so for us it's more about relaxing on the ship. In February we'll be having a sea day on our way to Cabo watching the Super Bowl LIV on the big screen on deck of the Panorama. 

Hi,

We live near Pasadena, CA so it's our Home Port too. I researched the Panorama for a Feb 2021 cruise. Kept going back 'n forth ..... cruise on the new ship or fly to Florida & cruise on an older ship??

In the end I just couldn't see spending the money cruising to Ports I've been to many, many times EVEN IF the Panorama is new. So, for less cruise money, & flying Southwest Air (points + cash) I chose the Miracle out of Florida.  

We're going to PV next month on a land vacation for a couple weeks, so my cruise itinerary for '21 really makes sense .... to me. 

I'd recommend looking around Carnival & compare. Galveston is really close to us. Southwest flight is affordable, though do suggest flying in the night before. We did, stayed at a hotel super close to Houston (HOBBY) Airport. Then a 30-40 minute Uber to the Port. 😁🛳

🌻🌻

Bobbi

We are also So Cal cruisers and enjoy the convenience of sailing out of L.A./L.B. or San Diego. We have sailed down to the Mexican Riviera many times on all of the major cruise lines. Since RCL abandoned the west coast in 2010, we have focused on Carnival (Platinum) and Princess (Elite) sailings. Like others have already mentioned, fare pricing is all about supply and demand, and timing. 

We booked the inaugural 3 day Panorama voyage and the 7 day immediately following. This will be the first time that we have been on board for a ships' inaugural voyage. We booked  into a Cloud 9 Spa ocean view. It ran us $185 per person, per day. That is a bit pricey for a 3 day ocean view, however we were willing to pay for the  novelty of a maiden voyage (we booked several months after the initial release). The 7 day was also somewhat pricier than a  "typical" Riviera cruise, but again; supply and demand.

Like any commodity, the prices will always fluctuate. Once in a while you can still find 7 day cruises in a balcony category for less than $100 per day. With Carnival, Princess, HAL, and NCL all vying to fill their ships, the fare prices for the Mexican Riviera should remain competitive. After all of these years of west coast cruising, we are very happy to see that  the Royal Princess is here and that the Panorama is on her way. Now if only RCL would make a return to regular west coast cruising... 

Bon Voyage

• Thanks 1

I just booked an interior room on Panorama for the Mexican Riviera for roughly the same price i cruised at on Splendor in March.  I don't know about other cabin options, which do seem quite different than on Splendor, but as far as I can tell, Interiors are comparable.

If you’re looking for a deal, book when final payment is due and pick up a cancelled cabin. Usually very inexpensive and you’ll pay in full upon booking. There’s around a 7 day window where prices drop and then they climb high, quickly. 

We just did this on Splendor and sailed for $70 pp pd in a spa interior. I can’t stay home for that amount. Literally it was like a free vacation. 

My DD and I have cruised the 3 and 4-day out of Long Beach and so wished for a newer ship. My DD is a TOSA so we need to sail when school is out. Then my DS said, how about I take you on a cruise for your birthday but can you wait til school is out so DD can go also. You bet! Looking forward to our cruise on the Panorama at the end of June 2020 and really happy it is a new ship. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, Ima Desert Diva said:

I am not exactly a "Worldly" cruiser, but I do have a handful under my belt.  Carnival by the way, is my cruise line of choice.  They truly are "Fun Ships!" Hoping this question is not too absurd.  I've done the Mexican Riviera cruise three times now over the last two years, as it's previously been so affordable.  Also, Carnival's home port in Long Beach, CA. is a convenient location for my travel needs.  My question is this, while perusing Carnival's web booking site, it certainly seems the prices for this particular cruise have gone up substantially for 2020.  Is this my imagination, or are we are we now paying for this brand new ship, "Panorama?"  If that's the case, bring back the "Splendor" or "Miracle!" They are beautiful ships and more bang for my buck!!

The first part of your question has been addressed, let me address it from another viewpoint.  The Panorama is the latest and final of the Vista class ships.  This ship will have many different and new features than either the Miracle or Splendor and some unique for any Carnival ship (at least for a while).  We have done 3 cruises on this class of ship and we LOVED it.  I hope you find the same thing, enjoy your cruise and let us know your thoughts when you return.