Chops - large reservation with kids?

Hi everyone! First, thank you so much for the wealth of helpful information. My parents are taking the whole family of 10 (6 adults, 4 children) on our first cruise next month. I would like to take everyone out to dinner at Chops one night (we are on Adventure), and am a bit confused about how to do it. I do not want to make it online because I do not want to pay full price for the 4 kids who will eat off the kids menu (I know I will get that back in OBC, but don't love that option). I am scared that if I wait to board, the prices will go up and/or there won't be availability.

My dad went through a travel agent, and I would like for my parents to not find out about the dinner ahead of time (I'm afraid they will try to pay for it, and that's exactly the opposite of the point). Am I allowed to call Royal myself, with our three cabin reservation numbers and have them do it for me? Any help would be wonderful!!

Yes you can call Royal yourself, however they will still charge you full price for all attending the dinner.  Personally, I'd make the reservation for all 10 and live with the OBC refund.  I'm sure you can find a way to spend it.

• Like 1

Usually I would say make the reservation for adults and add the kids on board however, in this case due to it being a large party you really should book and pay for  all 10 and get the money for the kids refunded on board.  There is a chance that they might not be able to accommodate changing a party of 6  to a party of 10 at your original booked time.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Usually I would say make the reservation for adults and add the kids on board however, in this case due to it being a large party you really should book and pay for  all 10 and get the money for the kids refunded on board.  There is a chance that they might not be able to accommodate changing a party of 6  to a party of 10 at your original booked time.

Thank you! It says on Cruise Planner that I would be given back the difference in "refundable OBC." Does this mean that if we don't use it, it will go back on my credit card? I'm sure we will find a way to use it (kids at arcade, shopping, etc.) , but I'm curious about the wording. I really appreciate the help.

3 minutes ago, dandi799 said:

Thank you! It says on Cruise Planner that I would be given back the difference in "refundable OBC." Does this mean that if we don't use it, it will go back on my credit card? I'm sure we will find a way to use it (kids at arcade, shopping, etc.) , but I'm curious about the wording. I really appreciate the help.

Yes.

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps but every time I step on the ship and I walk past a food venue. They want to sale me a specialty dinner. First time I ate at Chops (was so good) was when I was eating in the windjammer on boarding day and someone asked me if we wanted a BOGO for the first night of the sailing. That was back when they only charge $25 for the dinner. Happy Sailing!!! 

Edited by BlueSkySailing
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I could have written this myself - except change Adventure to Oasis and August 2019 to August 2020.  I’d love to know how this worked out for you as I’m attempting to do this myself for the 10 of us in Chops for our sailing.  Same scenario 6 adults/4 children (horrible eaters).  

Hope you had a great vacation.  Thanks in advance!  

I have never had a problem booking a reservation for Chops on the ship. And most of the time we aren't charged for the kids at all. Maybe it's a fluke. We tip well in that case. If you book for the first night once you board you will be offered a discount most likely. 

4 hours ago, nicstress said:

I have never had a problem booking a reservation for Chops on the ship. And most of the time we aren't charged for the kids at all. Maybe it's a fluke. We tip well in that case. If you book for the first night once you board you will be offered a discount most likely. 

Thank you.  My fear - like the OP- is a large party booking on a specific evening.  If we were more flexible, we could reap D+ benefits on nights 1 or 2 but we want night 5 - which is a milestone birthday.  

We called RC yesterday and they were unable to book us at a large table.  We’re booked at a table for 6 and another for the remaining 4.  We paid the $500 for the group but if they can’t accommodate us together once we’re on the ship, I’ll cancel.  I’d prefer being  in the main dining room at one table over being split up.  Living in different states with everyone working full-time (unless there’s a wedding or funeral), it’s the only time we’re together each year. 

My dad always goes through this when he wants to take my kids with us to a specialty restaurant.  You have to pay for the kids ahead of time. 

FYI 

IF THE KIDS ARE NOT IN YOUR ROOM WATCH TO SEE WHERE THE REFUND GOES.  My dad has done this twice and the refund always ends up on my kid's rooms.  It's easily fixed by a trip to GS but ask somebody at the restaurant first when you go.   

We had this exact size group on Anthem this year.   We booked the adults and added the kids once we came on board.   They never even charged us for the kids.  One piece of advice I would suggest is go straight to the restaurant when you board to confirm your reservation and add the monkeys 🙂

2 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

We had this exact size group on Anthem this year.   We booked the adults and added the kids once we came on board.   They never even charged us for the kids.  One piece of advice I would suggest is go straight to the restaurant when you board to confirm your reservation and add the monkeys 🙂

Thank you 

Just as a point of reference, we've travelled in decent sized groups (8-14pax) several times and always gotten a reservation booked at one big table all together once onboard for any of the specialty restaurants we wanted as long as we were flexible and either ate as soon as they opened or later at night.