select and saver - Drinks package - entertainment

BABBY

5 hours ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Terrierjohn, no I'm not trying to mislead. Some clarification. I only look at Inside cabins, just quote net prices I have paid and tend to only look at cruises that I would be interested in.

I THINK that most inside select prices will be beaten at some point, but as above ; I do not track cruises. Not enough time or inclination.

Jeanlyon, that is £91pppn. In April 16, we did 17nights western med for £70pppn.

Again, I have paid as low as £58pppn.  Saver NET price.

Can anyone quote Launch select as low as that?

Yes agree, this particular cruise was more than we usually pay and we are not on the bottom rung of Insides.

We have cruises booked for next year on Arcadia.  The April one is £81 per night, the October one is £71 per night.  All Select fares booked on launch.  We've also got OBC.  No not seen as cheap as that, but I personally always want to choose my cabin.  Last time they supposedly "upgraded " us they moved us to A deck from D deck.  Not an upgrade in my book and I got them to change us back.

For me, £70-£90 per night with all your food included is a very cheap holiday, so very happy with that.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

We had a GA (top of balcony grade) saver fair for £80.71 pppn earlier this year, which I agree Jean is amazing value for what is provided.

When you compare cruise fares, be that select or saver, to what you would pay in an equivalent hotel with just DBB rather than all meals, snacks, entertainment and most importantly ports of call then it is always good.

Why do people book select. Well anyone who requires an accessible cabin has to book fairly promptly. Anyone who wants more than 2 people in a cabin would have to book fairly promptly. Anyone who wants a suite/mini suite again would have to book when at select. I think a lot of people book select fare because they have to. Any of the above probably very very rarely goes down to saver fares. 

The rest of the cabins...well i guess you can play the will it get cheaper game. i would hate the waiting to then find out the cabin was maybe not in a position i would have chosen. The dining wasn't really the one I wanted. i am always surprised by the number of people who say i booked saver as I dont mind where I am on the ship. However when they find out where they are..ah well i didn't really want this/that. Or with early saver I booked this grade because it has this or that that I wanted. They have now upgraded me to this..i don't want to be there..what can i do. Or people posting after thay have done said cruise, who ended up above the theatre maybe and didnt like it at all. Some pay select and book early because they have to and some because they want to have some control. 

i guess they will always have saver fares because people will think..oh wow we will save money. Unless they actually tracked the price from when it was launched they will never know if they  have saved money.

4 hours ago, the english lady said:

Why do people book select. Well anyone who requires an accessible cabin has to book fairly promptly. Anyone who wants more than 2 people in a cabin would have to book fairly promptly. Anyone who wants a suite/mini suite again would have to book when at select. I think a lot of people book select fare because they have to. Any of the above probably very very rarely goes down to saver fares. 

The rest of the cabins...well i guess you can play the will it get cheaper game. i would hate the waiting to then find out the cabin was maybe not in a position i would have chosen. The dining wasn't really the one I wanted. i am always surprised by the number of people who say i booked saver as I dont mind where I am on the ship. However when they find out where they are..ah well i didn't really want this/that. Or with early saver I booked this grade because it has this or that that I wanted. They have now upgraded me to this..i don't want to be there..what can i do. Or people posting after thay have done said cruise, who ended up above the theatre maybe and didnt like it at all. Some pay select and book early because they have to and some because they want to have some control. 

i guess they will always have saver fares because people will think..oh wow we will save money. Unless they actually tracked the price from when it was launched they will never know if they  have saved money.

I would agree, some cabin types need to be booked early.

I would also agree that If you book a saver then be aware of the potential risks and don’t moan if you don’t get what you want in the end. If you have specific needs then book select.

There will however always be saver fares at great value because they would not be profitable if they did not have them, no cruise company does it out of the goodness of their hearts, they do it to fill ships.

Andymichelle, I stand corrected. Never thought launch prices could be so low. Have seen late savers at £50pppn on a few occasions, but again I don't track more than a few cruises of interest.

Would not normally consider Europe in November, we like sunshine, lot's of it.

The 35n caribbean cruise that I fancy in 2021 has been £57pppn (£1999pp) inside saver on at least a couple of times during each of the last few years.

Was going to do it on retirement but accident halted all holidays for more than 3 years. Just getting back to near normal now.

I do get a bit annoyed when I see statements as follows:-

Select price at launch is always cheapest. Hotel holidays are more expensive than cruises.

Ambiguous statements when not accompanied by :-

Price/cabin type/time of year/type of hotel etc.

On the question of launch. Has 2021 January launch already gone?

It does definitely depend on the length and type of cruise.  If you doing a Baltic, Canaries or Caribbean cruise,, then there are lots of those and if they are 7 day, 14 day etc, then prices will definitely come down on Saver.  But for longer cruises, which we do, to the Med, 17-19 days, then Select often works out cheaper.

5 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Andymichelle, I stand corrected. Never thought launch prices could be so low. Have seen late savers at £50pppn on a few occasions, but again I don't track more than a few cruises of interest.

The 35n caribbean cruise that I fancy in 2021 has been £57pppn (£1999pp) inside saver on at least a couple of times during each of the last few years.

Was going to do it on retirement but accident halted all holidays for more than 3 years. Just getting back to near normal now.

Select price at launch is always cheapest. Hotel holidays are more expensive than cruises.

Yes 2020/2021 winter cruises launched in March.

19 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Iona was stupidly cheap on launch and has still stayed low, they obviously needed to fill her quickly.

We didn't have much interest in going on her, but for that price thought it was a cheap way to try her.

Glad your health is improving.

Andy

We booked the Ventura 35 day cruise that sails in January 2021 in April this year. For 35 days I'm not going to risk getting a poor cabin, or not my choice of dining, so booked a select fare. The last time I checked, the fare had increased by £2000  for the two of us, and cabin availability on D deck seemed pretty limited, although I am aware that P&O do not always show full cabin availability. 

We could have waited until the end of next year, in the hope that prices might come down,  but having decided that we wanted to do this particular cruise, we felt it better to book at a price we were happy with, and lock in our cabin and dining arrangements. 

3 hours ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know what the launch price was for inside cabin. 

Have seen £1999 saver at least 3 years running. Can't imagine it being that again. 

Hoping to see it at £2200 or near that.

Price for cheapest inside now is £2548 or £72 pppn. Taken from a TA website.

1 hour ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

It will be N101 for us, my 70th is on 14th Jan

I see on the "official" website it is £2599 saver & £2999 select.

Will also check out TA sites. I presume Dai you are quoting saver fayre ?

Correct.