Florida tolls

Ginger Princess

Most of the threads showing in search talk about using a rental car with a rented Sun Pass. I am driving from middle Georgia to Miami in December. I’m just starting to look at the route, and Google Maps is showing the fastest way is going straight down the Florida Turnpike or a slightly longer route by staying on I-75. Both of these options say they include tolls. I know I can get a Georgia Peach Pass, and it will work on the Sun Pass system. However, I will have no need of it in the immediate future because I hardly ever go into Atlanta and can avoid those lanes anyway. In researching, the Sun Pass website says for those areas where I can’t pay cash that I can do a toll payment by car license plate. I can get a bill at the end of the month for whatever tolls I didn’t pay plus a $2.50 administrative fee. I know I’m looking at $20-$30 in tolls one way depending on where exactly I exit and how I’m paying. Any thoughts on getting the Peach Pass versus doing a combo of paying cash and toll by plate?

Unless something has changed, you can travel the length of the FL Turnpike without need the toll transponder. The segment between Kissimmiee and Fort Lauderdale has a ticket based system and the rest has cash lanes (or at least it used to). Transponder only roads are all around, but I don't think it is the turnpike directly.

A peach pass is free. Why not just get one? You'll save the $2.50 plus tolls are cheaper with Sunpass on other roads. Also, you won't need to worry about what lane to go into or out of etc.. It will make your drive a bit easier, and it cost $0.00 

I guess I’m mostly leery of leaving money on my Peach Pass account that I won’t use. My understanding is you put a set amount of money on your account and the tolls pull from that. If your balance gets low, you have to put more money on it. I don’t know if you can just put a few dollars or it has to be like $20. 

I think the only toll on I-75 (between Atlanta and Punta Gorda)is bridge toll in the Tampa area. Drove from Miami to Tampa to Atlanta earlier this month, only paid the one bridge toll. Take Highway 27 from Punta Gorda over to Miami. No tolls.

once you hit Dade County Florida, all tolls go 'all electronic' but you are correct 'toll by plate' will kick in for you own vehicle (not recommended you go this route with a rental ... they charge extra fees). It doesn't take much exploring around Miami b4 you find you are on a toll road!

The Tampa toll bridge on 75 is the Sunshine Skyway (noted for lines at the cash lanes)

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/traffic/2018/04/30/sunpass-sunshine-skyway-bridge

IMPORTANT DETAIL

When an area is electric tolling only (Dade County) toll by plate kicks in and you get a monthly bill.  EXAMPLE on the 'turnpike extension' to the Keys thru west Miami,  there are NO CASH LANES. I believe the last turnpike exit b4 the extension (Golden Glades) has also gone 'electron only' so if using TP and wanting to pay cash get off b4 GG.

In an area with electronic tolling AND cash lanes, just running the toll thru the electron gate without a transponder is a VIOLATION.  They take a picture of the plate the same way ... it just gets processed differently!  AKA a ticket.  EXAMPLE all around Orlando are toll roads and there are electronic gates (drive straight thru)

image.thumb.png.62aae058c7d9f8d07608e8acb8b17ad6.png

and CASH LANES that can look like an exit to those unfamiliar.

image.thumb.png.7639a89f9038681673a56ccb98a71cff.png

People have said they made ONE booboo running a cash toll and never got a ticket and I believe this ... but a repeat customer should be ready.

if you can get a Peach Pass for free I suggest you look at this option more closely. The SUNPASS has many options for how you add funds ... Many times when I zip thru with my SUNPASS I see a line of cars waiting at the cash lane.  The line may only be a few, but sometimes more than a dozen and I WELL REMEMBER how I HATED sitting and waiting in that line watch others ZIP by.  The cash lane is also the lane for: can you break a $100, do you take a credit card, is Canadian money OK, where should I exit for, is a check OK ......

Edited by Capt_BJ

Ok, I guess I should probably get a Peach Pass. I can always try the Express or HOT lanes if I happen to be near Atlanta or maybe I can convince my husband to cruise a bit more frequently so I can use it up on a return trip to Miami.

Thanks for all the help.

It only adds 1/2 hour to cut over to 95 and avoid tolls, FYI.  I've done the trip up to GA many times (my dad lives near Athens).  I95 for the most part is a better drive, anyways, as it's 3 lanes vs 2 lanes on the turnpike.  2 lanes sucks as slow drivers cause fast drivers to road rage, blocking lanes, etc.  I hate it.  For 30 minutes, save the hassle and money.

frankly, going over 10 to 95 is what I'd recommend as well

son went to FSU and family from Mobile AL while we live near Cape Canaveral ... drive this route routinely and have settled on the I-10, I-95 as the best for US ........ no tolls and altho more miles usually faster!!!

You can still have toll issues in Miami tho.

p.s.

at its southern end, the portion of I-75 that runs east-west between Naples and Lauderdale

aka Alligator Alley

that's still a toll road isn't it?  "The Alligator Alley section west of Fort Lauderdale, Florida and east of Naples is due west–east and is one of only two sections of I-75 that are tolled .... There are only two interchanges along the 75 mile tolled portion of Alligator Alley in addition to two rest areas and a number of scenic outlook points as it crosses the Florida Everglades. 

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the only toll on I-75 (between Atlanta and Punta Gorda)is bridge toll in the Tampa area.  

15 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

The Tampa toll bridge on 75 is the Sunshine Skyway (noted for lines at the cash lanes) 

For what it's worth, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is not on I-75, it is on 275. If you're driving I-75 there is no need to cross that bridge. You would actually be going out of your way if you did.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, Pyrate13 said:

For what it's worth, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is not on I-75, it is on 275. If you're driving I-75 there is no need to cross that bridge. You would actually be going out of your way if you did.

This is correct - it is not on I-75.  And if you do go out of your way to the bridge, I have never encountered long lines at the cash lanes on the bridge and I have spent a month at a time there using that route many times in the middle of their busy spring season

10 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Keep in mind that not all tolls take all transponders.  My Sunpass doesn't work in certain places in Orlando.

Really? Which ones?

I have an EPass and like the discounts I get for paying a certain number of tolls, and for a limited time, we get discounts on certain tolls because of the I-4 Ultimate project. But I've never heard that SunPass wasn't compatible with any toll booths in Florida.

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Really? Which ones?

I have an EPass and like the discounts I get for paying a certain number of tolls, and for a limited time, we get discounts on certain tolls because of the I-4 Ultimate project. But I've never heard that SunPass wasn't compatible with any toll booths in Florida.

I feel like that was an older thing where they weren't compatible.  As far as I know, they generally all take Sunpass in Orlando nowadays.  It definitely used to be that way, though.

sunpass offered a free upgrade to the transponders a couple of years ago, they changed the transponder system.  If yours is the size of a cigarette pack and or has a place for a battery it 'died' years ago.

I still see a bunch of the old ones in car windows

these 'work' IF the tag is properly registered in the database .. the transponder is no longer being read (older gates MAY still read the old system, I dunno bout that) and the system tries to use toll by plate which is the backup system

if you have an old transponder and a new gate and tag not registered it is 3 strikes ......

I have the 'new' transponder (responded to the free update) and have NEVER had an issue .... of course my tag is also properly entered to my account which means the backup works when needed

and to PILE ON

I have one portable transponder with 4 vehicles 'attached' the transponder is seldom in any of the cars!!!!! When the tag is attached to the account, the account gets charged via toll by tag/plate but you loose the 'discount'

Edited by Capt_BJ

I live in the Florida panhandle and have driven to South Florida several times.  If you go I-75 to I-10 (just outside of Lake City), and I-10 to Jacksonville, then I-95 South, it is 22 miles / 20 minutes longer than taking the 75 further south, and connecting to the Turnpike (provided there is not construction on an accident that slows up traffic either direction).

You can also cut the cost of the tolls if you take the 75/Turnpike route to the Yeehaw Junction exit, then taking State Road 60 to I-95 at Vero Beach.  (This section of the Turnpike still allows you to pay with cash).  Total cost of tolls for this region is currently $9.15 if paying with cash.

Only the Southern end of the Turnpike (Dade County, and a portion of Broward County) currently requires a transponder or toll-by-plate.  However, they are working on extending the cashless portion of the Turnpike further North, although it will still be a long while before they get cashless tolling up to the Yeehaw Junction exit.