Are the Steps Manageable at the Roman Colosseum?

WFBgal

Doing the back to back Med cruise in October. We booked a night tour at the Colosseum, but am wondering if stairs are doable? I asked the tour company & they said there is an elevator, but it doesn't work all the time. I am mobile, but stairs can do my knees in. Thanks.

We did a night tour of the Colosseum and enjoyed it.  The stairs are steep and each step is higher than modern normal steps.  There are handrails to hold onto.  I don't remember seeing an elevator and I know our group wasn't offered it. 

We did the Coliseum last year and it is spectacular, well worth the visit. We spent 3 days in Rome on a land tour.  There are steps but not too many and I saw some visitors in Wheelchairs so I am guessing there are ramps to use as well. You do not have to go to all the levels but just getting inside is worth the trip.

There's an elevator; I used it last summer.  Maybe it's less busy in August.   It's hard to avoid walking a lot in European cities I've found.   I think this was the day I walked 22,000 steps but we were doing other things beside he Coliseum.  

If elevator is working, does it just go to one level or does it go to all levels. I'm just leery of really high ancient steps. I'm in the process of having gel shots in both knees so I can walk relatively pain free.

1 hour ago, WFBgal said:

If elevator is working, does it just go to one level or does it go to all levels. I'm just leery of really high ancient steps. I'm in the process of having gel shots in both knees so I can walk relatively pain free.

There is elevator access to the underground as well as to the upper level.  No elevators go up to the third tier.  Most people only go to the upper level and main ground level unless they're doing a special tour (not sure what your tour involves).  If the elevator wasn't working, you could still walk on the main level and see the complex from that vantage-point.

The photo at the link below gives you a sense of the stairs to climb to the upper level.  When you get to the top of this set, you turn the corner and go up another that is similar.  

https://kookaburra.*****.com/photos/rome/img_0412.html

Edited by bEwAbG

Thanks for posting photo of the stairs. I will make a decision whether we do this after I've had my shots & give them awhile whether this tour is a "go." Normally, I avoid lots of steps. 

Barb, may I ask who you booked the night tour with? Which night are you going? That is my goal this week (no grandbabies around and only one appointment) to book the Vatican and Colosseum tours.

Thanks for posting photo of the stairs. I will make a decision whether we do this after I've had my shots & give them awhile whether this tour is a "go." Normally, I avoid lots of steps. 

We toured during the day.  Don't  risk   a fall but if you are able to  manage it, touring the                                         collosseum is spectacular

sail.noodam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1