Roatan Questions

Prnsessmoi

Will be on the Getaway 2/7-16/2020.  Roatan on 2/11/20 from 7:00am - 3:00pm.  Wondering if it is possible to "hold sloths" and do Tabyana Beach (snorkle from shore) in the same day.  From what I understand, the sloth experience would need to be early in the day, as they don't let you interact with them after a certain time.  But not sure logistically, if it is possible to do both in the time we will be there.

Anyone done this?  Suggestions on who to contact?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:19 PM, zqvol said:

You can only go to Tabayana (it is a private beach club) using a ship tour. There are other private tours that will take you to that same area but it is not Tabayana.

The entire beach is actually called West Bay Beach. The cruise line has a little area on that beach that they call Tabayana but it is just part of West Bay Beach. Other hotels, condos, resorts, and dive shops have spots on West Bay Beach too. However, you can walk the length of West Bay Beach and enter the water wherever you want. 🙂

7 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

Please read my review of BODEN TOURS in the Roatan forum of Ports of call. 

Not good- 

I've never used Boden, but for every bad review there are at least 10 saying how great he is. The OP should read many reviews about Boden, not just one before making a decision.

33 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I've never used Boden, but for every bad review there are at least 10 saying how great he is. The OP should read many reviews about Boden, not just one before making a decision.

Yes that is true- but others posted their experiences there also. My experience was less than two months ago so fairly recently. OP can make decisions on their own but deserves to see good and negative reviews. Then base decision on that. 

On 7/19/2019 at 5:29 PM, davy jones said:

Two weeks ago, BA docked at 10 and Bodden got us to the sloths just before 11 while they were still awake.  There are also monkeys and birds that will sit on you for pictures.

This makes me so happy to hear!! We dock at 10 and were really bummed to hear that we probably wouldn't make it to hold sloths but this gives me hope!!

We did a tour through Daniel's Sloth Hangout which included an island tour and a snorkel. I enjoyed the snorkel but no colourful corals. The sloth was cute 2yrs old. Watch out for the monkeys if you go in their enclosure. My DH didn't remove a piece of paper from his pocket but they did and made confetti. I also held a 2 month old sloth USD$10 in Cartagena port.

13 hours ago, Gizmosmum said:

We did a tour through Daniel's Sloth Hangout which included an island tour and a snorkel. I enjoyed the snorkel but no colourful corals. The sloth was cute 2yrs old. Watch out for the monkeys if you go in their enclosure. My DH didn't remove a piece of paper from his pocket but they did and made confetti. I also held a 2 month old sloth USD$10 in Cartagena port.

We also used Daniel Johnson's and only did the Sloth part. Everyone else did a snorkel somewhere. The company was really good. It was our favorite excursion on the cruise. And yes, the monkey's will take anything out of your pockets and whatever you may have on your head. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise last week where Roatan was one of our stops.  We used Victor Bodden to take a private tour, and it included the monkeys/sloths and a visit to a resort on West Bay beach.  Another poster above keeps mentioning a bad experience with one of Bodden's drivers.  While I respect their reporting of their experience, I'm here to say that my experience with who I believe to be their driver (Kenny) was completely different last week.   Kenny was our driver, and never left our site, other than to run an errand for us or to get something that we requested.  I would not hesitate to use Bodden (or Kenny) again.  

On 7/23/2019 at 7:06 AM, Gizmosmum said:

I also did this tour (this EXACT tour actually!) and enjoyed it tremendously. I thought it was a really excellent value, honestly--island tour, snorkel, sloths, AND monkeys and I want to say it was $60pp.  I would go again.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, Prnsessmoi said:

Will be on the Getaway 2/7-16/2020.  Roatan on 2/11/20 from 7:00am - 3:00pm.  Wondering if it is possible to "hold sloths" and do Tabyana Beach (snorkle from shore) in the same day.  From what I understand, the sloth experience would need to be early in the day, as they don't let you interact with them after a certain time.  But not sure logistically, if it is possible to do both in the time we will be there.

Anyone done this?  Suggestions on who to contact?

Thanks in advance!

Prnsessmoi -- we are on the same cruise and it looks like we have the same interests!  Sloths are high on our list.  Looking at booking with Bodden as well.  Let us know what you end up booking;  would love to meet you guys!  G&N

On 8/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, GarNik831 said:

Prnsessmoi -- we are on the same cruise and it looks like we have the same interests!  Sloths are high on our list.  Looking at booking with Bodden as well.  Let us know what you end up booking;  would love to meet you guys!  G&N

I'm really worried now that they changed our itinerary, that we won't be able to interact with the sloths.  We won't be into port until 10:00am, and I heard that sloth hugs end at 11:00am.

Checking with them now.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, Prnsessmoi said:

I'm really worried now that they changed our itinerary, that we won't be able to interact with the sloths.  We won't be into port until 10:00am, and I heard that sloth hugs end at 11:00am.

Checking with them now.

I had the same concern with Daniel's Sloth Hangout as our ship also didn't arrive into port until 10am. When I contacted them they guaranteed we would still get to hold a sloth as were were a private tour. Hopefully Bodden will be the same.

Check out Rony's Tours.  We had Brian as our guide, and he was absolutely INCREDIBLE!  They customize your tour to do whatever you want.  We went to the monkeys and sloths and had lots of time to do whatever we wanted the rest of the day.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of time.  If you do book Rony's, ask for Brian, he was FANTASTIC!

On 8/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Check out Rony's Tours.  We had Brian as our guide, and he was absolutely INCREDIBLE!  They customize your tour to do whatever you want.  We went to the monkeys and sloths and had lots of time to do whatever we wanted the rest of the day.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of time.  If you do book Rony's, ask for Brian, he was FANTASTIC!

We used Rony's as well and loved our day. I think we paid $30 or $35/person and our driver took us wherever we wanted to go (any admission fees were on us). He was great to work with and I would use him again.