Food Allergies

kkltexas

We leave for an Alaskan cruise on NCL Jewel on July 29th. One person traveling with use has peanut and tree nut allergies. What should we do to make sure they do not accidentally get severed food that has any type of peanut or tree nuts?  TIA

14 minutes ago, kkltexas said:

We leave for an Alaskan cruise on NCL Jewel on July 29th. One person traveling with use has peanut and tree nut allergies. What should we do to make sure they do not accidentally get severed food that has any type of peanut or tree nuts?  TIA

I’m sure you will get more advice on the forum that was mentioned but I will say especially on our last 3 cruises I can tell they take allergies very seriously. We have none but never once had our order taken without being asked, and once even had a waiter start to walk away and rush back to ask if there were any allergies. 

Just a heads up with people with allergies. My son (tree nuts) had no problem in the restaurants and buffet, but on two occasions received room service continental breakfast with contaminated  pastries even though he specified his allergy on the order form.

It must be too late to fill out a form. NCL usually requested cruisers with allergies to fill out a form at least 2 weeks before the cruise so they can prepare. Since this is not like gluten free food, I would advise your friend or whoever the person that have the allergy to see the maitre'd once on board. Also to let the server know when sitting down for dinner at a dining room about the food allergies. If spoken to the maitre'd ahead of time, the food would be already prepared unless she/he wanted something else at the main dining rooms. For the buffet, they do not have control over this.

Peanut allergies here! Here's the page for the Access Desk from on the NCL site: https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

We used their online form (found here) to contact the Access Desk. We got an email response confirming in about three business days. If you prefer to call, the number is (866) 584-9756. 

On past cruises, they leave a letter in your stateroom confirming your needs, and give you the contact info of the Maitre D. We never had any issues!

• Like 1

NCL is pretty good with allergies.

On our last trip, when we were seated at the restaurant, the server asked which two in my party had the peanut allergies (even before we ordered)...I was impressed.  HOWEVER, I had filled in the form and emailed it before the cruise.

Weird thing, is that I would get in consistent answers at restaurants -- some said the fries were fine, but then other times they were not. 

Desserts we stuck with creme brulee but my kids are desert kids (mostly because of the allergies).

Make sure you have your epi pen and benadryl handy.

NCL are very good with special diets : please make sure that when you are served food that it is the special diets waiter who is serving the food or if not, check and double check with the waiter that they understand that it is an allergy and the food is prepared separately. I would not use the buffet or room service or o’sheehans (we do use o’sheehans for breakfast but I’m told it’s a very small kitchen with a strong risk of cross contamination, I have intolerance only so a bit of cc isn’t going to kill me) only the mdr and specialty restaurants with all meals preordered via the special diets waiter. Contact the maitre d’ in the larger mdr after boarding to organise this. 

14 hours ago, callalily said:

Peanut allergies here! Here's the page for the Access Desk from on the NCL site: https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

We used their online form (found here) to contact the Access Desk. We got an email response confirming in about three business days. If you prefer to call, the number is (866) 584-9756. 

On past cruises, they leave a letter in your stateroom confirming your needs, and give you the contact info of the Maitre D. We never had any issues!

This is great info with the included links.

We don't cruise until next year but will need to advise ncl of my gluten  free needs.

Thank you.