Manhattan Cruise Terminal Car Service recommendation

cruzemaven

We’ll be disembarking in New York City from The Insignia on a Sunday morning in a few weeks along with thousands of other passengers from The Escape. Decided it would be better to book a car service in advance instead of waiting on a long line for a taxi or trying to get an Uber..Can anyone recommend a reliable car service?

6 minutes ago, cruzemaven said:

We’ll be disembarking in New York City from The Insignia on a Sunday morning in a few weeks along with thousands of other passengers from The Escape. Decided it would be better to book a car service in advance instead of waiting on a long line for a taxi or trying to get an Uber..Can anyone recommend a reliable car service?

We can book Uber in advance.  Maybe not in NYC?

1 hour ago, cruzemaven said:

I always use Dial 7 Car and Limo Service.   Reliable and reasonable rates.  Make a reservation for pick up.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Blacklane is excellent.  They are a company with a 5 star rating that services the global community. 

Just book online and you are all set.  Prices are extremely fair for the level of service you receive, especially in NYC.

Gratuity is included in the fare.

4 hours ago, Condocat said:

Blacklane is excellent.  They are a company with a 5 star rating that services the global community. 

Just book online and you are all set.  Prices are extremely fair for the level of service you receive, especially in NYC.

I just checked and they're in Rio.  We usually take a cab.  Could you expand a bit about why you prefer them to a taxi please? TIA

5 hours ago, Condocat said:

FYI, Blacklane isn't a car or limo service, it's a booking engine service that matches travelers' car service requests to independent chauffeurs. They are no more a car service than Expedia is an airline.

The company is based in Berlin, Germany, and based on the information on its website doesn't even have a US office. Other than its German headquarters, the company's satellite offices are in Singapore, Dubai and Brisbane.

None of the above is meant to suggest they provide bad service...but if something goes wrong, who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters? I'd much prefer to deal with a company that's actually based and licensed locally, with sufficient local presence that allows them to quickly dispatch another vehicle if yours misses its scheduled pick up or if the car breaks down .

BTW, having done some test bookings it appears their prices are quite high compared to local services, even taking into account that they're all inclusive.

Edited by njhorseman

Dissect it however you wish.....Blacklane offers solid reliable service around the world.

I speak from experience.

Everyone is entitles to choice whatever service they prefer.  Just trying to help the original post options, didn't realize the origin of the business or its dynamic was under scrutiny.

12 minutes ago, Condocat said:

Dissect it however you wish.....Blacklane offers solid reliable service around the world.

I speak from experience.

Everyone is entitles to choice whatever service they prefer.  Just trying to help the original post options, didn't realize the origin of the business or its dynamic was under scrutiny.

I guess you missed the part of my post that said "None of the above is meant to suggest they provide bad service".

Everyone is entitled to know who they're doing  business with so they can make a fully-informed decision...so yes...anything can be under scrutiny.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, clo said:

I just checked and they're in Rio.  We usually take a cab.  Could you expand a bit about why you prefer them to a taxi please? TIA

Blacklane always provides recent/new model luxury model sedans, such as Mercedes, BMW or similar  There is a 2 hour "grace" period built into your quote for late arrivals you will not be billed if you are late for prearranged arrival time.  Staff is extremely professional, always dressed in a suit and will go out of their way to help you: 

3 hours ago, Condocat said:

Blacklane always provides recent/new model luxury model sedans, such as Mercedes, BMW or similar  There is a 2 hour "grace" period built into your quote for late arrivals you will not be billed if you are late for prearranged arrival time.  Staff is extremely professional, always dressed in a suit and will go out of their way to help you: 

We've been using a regular taxi from the airport to Copacabana for over ten years with no problems.  We don't need/want luxury car.  We've never had to wait for a taxi.  But thanks for the info.

Sunday morning is fairly quiet, unless it is a holiday weekend like Columbus Day. Uber will be readily available.  We’ve also used Carmel- you can call the 800 number for Carmel and an get immediate operator or use the app.  

The taxi line is across the street from the terminal.  I’ve seen lines there but taxis frequent the area. 

We will need a car service from LGA to Midtown Manhattan the day before our cruise. Our plane will arrive about 2pm on a Saturday.  On this thread as well as others the two most mentioned are Dial 7 and Carmel.  Will there be an additional charge for tolls?  Having never used a car service, are the tips included in the fee and if not, what would a normal percent or tip be for this trip?  Any help would be appreciated.

Car services will add on tolls. Drivers choose the routing depending on traffic and exactly where you are going, east side, west side, etc.  Time is money.  Tolls vary by bridge, tunnel and a couple bridges are free to cars- Queensboro or Brooklyn bridge had no tolls the last I knew. 

Carmel had a flat rate charge LGA to midtown that was reasonable.  You will see their signs all over the airport with the current fee.  

Uber offers terrific service and no extra tipping is required, I’ve been told this over and over by family living in NYC.  The app will give you a range of pricing,  choice of vehicle.  On occasion, we have done a shared ride within the city for very low cost, never waiting more than a few minutes but you might have to cross the street for the shared vehicle.   Always memorize license plate info that will be on the app, I memorize the last three digits, make and model and you will see the drivers photo.   The app will tell you where to meet the car, depending on which terminal at LGA.  

Sometimes a discount code appears when you first download the Uber app.