Norwegian Epic sleeping question.

Sea Legs

The balcony cabin I shared with my Bride and her Sister on the Epic didn't even adequately accompany the three of us. I slept on the sofa, which was uncomfortably curved like the cabin. I don't recall if it folded out to a bed.

Like any cruise ship cabin, once in you exceed the number of bed spaces, things get crowded, literally on top of each other. That is amplified by the lack of a bathroom. Just buy another cabin. The free extra people is really for small kids, not 4 adults. 

The real issue isn't with the sleeping arrangements, it is with overall comfort.

One thing to remember about cabins on a ship: Generally, they are designed for two (2) occupants (double occupancy). Some will have the ability to add a 3rd guest or even a 4th. However, the design is for two.

And while the answer is "Yes, people have survived with four adults in one room", that answer doesn't address the impact on the comfort level of all of the guests in the room.

bench.jpg.34a4d0b113474781f10f5bfa508a7072.jpg

It is somewhat similar to the bench seat in an automobile. Remember them? They were designed for two people: the driver and the passenger. However, we all know that it is possible to squeeze a third person onto a bench seat (and a fourth if they are small enough!). And while that might be do-able for a quick trip to the store or even across town, I don't think anyone would want to put that many people onto the seat for a cross country trip.

• 2 months later...

Consider this- do you want to still be friends  after the cruise ?😳

A more comfortable plan might be for two people to book an interior cabin near the balcony cabin to conserve travel costs. That would be more comfortable for all.

Also, does NCL allow booking for four adults in a balcony cabin ?

Finally, isn’t the Epic the ship that has part of the bathroom inside the bedroom/ sitting part of the cabin,not affording much privacy ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Finally, isn’t the Epic the ship that has part of the bathroom inside the bedroom/ sitting part of the cabin,not affording much privacy ?

Looking at the NCL site - Shower (with translucent glass door) on one side of the entrance door, toilet on the other side with the sink along one wall.  Better be a really close group of friends.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, MJSailors said:

Yes, the Epic doesn't have a true bathroom. It has a small hallway going to the door with the shower directly off it and the toilet in a small room directly off it. I guess it affords the ability to shower and use the toilet at the same time, but at the expense of privacy. There's not really any area to dress/undress before/after the shower. For two friends to share, it can get a little uncomfortable. I can't imagine 4 adults sharing.

• Like 1

We travel with a teen and that alone is hard to each have space for our "stuff" let alone sleeping. I would agree with the other posts that say to get an inside (or studio) to save costs. You might even consider switching to 2 inside cabins, some may even connect.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, MJSailors said:

The cabins are small; here's my wife showing how narrow the balcony cabin is.

epic-cabin.png.37dd5cfb8037a9033a30dd7d2a18c366.png

Behind her you can see the shower on the left, and the toilet enclosure on the right. Fine for a couple, but families with a shy teen or unrelated people might be uncomfortable:

epic-toilet.png.a0613ebeffa02082ab71fc161778836b.png