Christmas cruises???

58Piano

What is it like to take a holiday cruise ? How do they celebrate it? I like the traditional carols. Do they even mention that it is about Jesus birthday? Or is it all secular and Santa claus?

I've been doing Christmas and New year's onboard princess for the past 10 years. They do such a lovely job. The ship is fully decked out with beautiful decor throughout the ship. lots of Christmas trees, and Garland. Yes they do have Christmas carolers on the ship they do fake snow in The Piazza. They have the crew members and the guests all together sing Christmas carols in The Piazza area. There's gingerbread house competitions. For kids they have Santa come out and they usually give each child a gift. Christmas Eve they do read the story The night before Christmas and The Piazza in the evening. They do a Christmas Mass on bored if you want to attend. They put on a Christmas show on the theater. It's generally just a very happy jolly Time on board the ship.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 3

The Mass on board was discontinued years ago. Now there is usually a non-denominational Christmas service both at midnight and around 9am. Both are well attended. 

There are also Hanukkah services and a (very) few decorations. 

Mostly it’s a secular acknowledgement of the holiday but quite nicely done, with some special food items in the dining room and buffet.  

We've been on a Princess ship at Christmas 7 or the 8 past years. Lots of photos and description of holiday related events here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas

Did it two years ago with our entire family for Mexico cruise. So much fun. Lots of kids on board and my teen grandkids loved it, making new friends and activities for them. Friends had their entire family with young grandkids. Also those little ones really had fun.Came out the same time as Hanukah and that was celebrated as well.

Even if you travel with adults only,such a wonderful festive atmosphere on board.Christmas day there is Santa giving out gifts to all the kids.

We also were on board for Christmas and New years a few years ago traveling in South America. Fabulous, with many nationalities on board.

We did a Christmas cruise in 2017.  We enjoyed the carols, decorations, storytelling and it turned out there was a stowaway on board called Santa!  However with the exception of Santa, all the other stuff occurred on Christmas eve with very little happening on Christmas day itself.  They didn't even do a Christmas meal in the MDR which really surprised/disappointed me.  The first time I've had fettuccine alfredo for Christmas dinner!

I've done two Princess Christmas cruises.  They play Christmas music throughout the week.  Had a beautiful Gingerbread village on both cruises.  Traditional Christmas dinner with turkey and all the fixings.  Eggnog at breakfast.  My favorite dessert:  Gingerbread souffle.  Ship is decorated nicely.  Santa pays a quick visit. 

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

What about Jewish PAXs?   Anything special for them on these Holiday cruises?

We were on a holiday cruise a few years ago (Island Panama Canal) that was over both Christmas and Chanukah. The staff was very accommodating - we had the chapel every night for a short passenger led Chanukah service with an electric menorrah, latkes, and all the trimmings. The staff really doesn't know much about Chanukah traditions (e.g they brought us a challah), but they are more than willing to get you what you ask for. We requested jelly donuts, and the next night we had them. They even created little Chanukah bags for us with different Chanukah themed decorations and stuff. The photography staff went out of their way to create Chanukah themed backgrounds for the photos. This past year we did a holiday cruise to Hawaii and Chanukah was over by the time we got on the ship, so there wasn't any type of Chanukah celebration.

10 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

We were on a holiday cruise a few years ago (Island Panama Canal) that was over both Christmas and Chanukah. The staff was very accommodating - we had the chapel every night for a short passenger led Chanukah service with an electric menorrah, latkes, and all the trimmings. The staff really doesn't know much about Chanukah traditions (e.g they brought us a challah), but they are more than willing to get you what you ask for. We requested jelly donuts, and the next night we had them. They even created little Chanukah bags for us with different Chanukah themed decorations and stuff. The photography staff went out of their way to create Chanukah themed backgrounds for the photos. This past year we did a holiday cruise to Hawaii and Chanukah was over by the time we got on the ship, so there wasn't any type of Chanukah celebration.

Yes, for Hanukah it's very low-key where they usually have a menorah by the passenger services desk and a very small area decorated for it. Had the same experience with potato latkes and jelly donuts. The hotel manager who I was friendly with was really nice and even make sure I had a platter of potato latkes sent to my cabin with a side boat of applesauce, After he asked me how did they do with them and I said job well done. He was happy to hear. The small simple gestures to help keep holiday traditions going while onbored they do get a nice A+ from me.

Edited by Jeter02

5 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I've been doing Christmas and New year's onboard princess for the past 10 years. They do such a lovely job. The ship is fully decked out with beautiful decor throughout the ship. lots of Christmas trees, and Garland. Yes they do have Christmas carolers on the ship they do fake snow in The Piazza. They have the crew members and the guests all together sing Christmas carols in The Piazza area. There's gingerbread house competitions. For kids they have Santa come out and they usually give each child a gift. Christmas Eve they do read the story The night before Christmas and The Piazza in the evening. They do a Christmas Mass on bored if you want to attend. They put on a Christmas show on the theater. It's generally just a very happy jolly Time on board the ship.

We have experienced Xmas and NYE at sea last year and are not going back to land! Best Xmas present I have received from DH in last 20 years and I am counting on the same present for next 20.

• Like 2

We also decided to start a holiday at sea tradition last year- and have no plans  on going back!  My children (ages 8, 8 and 11) prefer the gift of travel once I asked them what they had gotten for Christmas the years before- and they couldn't remember!  Also, it's much nicer to do away with all the stress of decorating, cooking and all the shopping gets scaled way back.  Last year we did a big trip- Grand Asia on the Sapphire Princess, this year we are going a little quieter- Mexican Riviera out of San Francisco, so no flying this year

.  As a family we all agree this is the best new tradition we have ever done!

Just now, greenie082756 said:

We will be doing our very first Christmas and New Years cruise this year. I can't wait!!!

Oh you're gonna love it. New Year's onboard is fantastic. They give out new year's hats and tiaras along with noise makers. You have to options of where to celebrate. Piazza dies a blue drop and will have live music from the party band. You can also celebrate up in the pool deck where they too gave lots of love music from party bands and do the count down in the MUTS screen. Loads of fun to be had by all 

• Like 2