Some info on what NCL is doing to the SE & SF Suites on the Jewel-class ships

Turtles06

It's been reported here for a while now that sometime in the Fall of 2020, on the Jewel-class ships, NCL is going to make some changes with respect to the amenities and perhaps prices of the forward-facing Penthouse suites on Decks 9 and 10 (now categorized as SE), and the aft-facing Penthouse suites on Decks 8, 9, and 10 (now categorized as SF).  Much of what has been discussed on here is only rumor and speculation, since there's been no formal announcement of anything.  However, given that people are now able to book cruises in late 2020 and into 2021, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread in which we can list the factual information that can be gleaned as of right now from the ships' deck plans and from the booking engine on NCL's own site.   This being the internet, there will always be rumor and speculation, 😁, but here is what NCL's web site is showing now:

1. Looking at the deck plans for the various Jewel-class ships, we can see different dates in Fall 2020 when the changes on each ship with respect to the SE and SF suites will take place.  The Gem deck plans are different for cruises departing before and after Oct. 30, 2020; for the Jade, the changeover date is Nov. 20, 2020; for the Jewel, it's Sept. 14, 2020,  and for the Pearl, it's Oct. 10, 2020.

2.  According to the deck plans, after those dates on each ship, the SE and SF suites will be split into four different categories:  

What are now the aft-facing SF suites on Deck 10 (these have the largest balconies of the SF class) will be in a category called SM ("Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony").  The aft-facing SFs on Decks 8 and 9 will be in a category called SN ("Aft-Facing Penthouse").

What are now the forward-facing SE suites on Decks 9 and 10 will be in a category called SF ("Forward-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony"), except for the two center suites on Deck 10, 10000 and 10500, which will be in a category all their own called SD ("Forward-Facing Deluxe Penthouse with Large Balcony").  These two suites are directly under the bridge, making their interiors larger because they follow the "bump out" from the bridge.  Many folks prefer them because of that, while some prefer the forward-facing suites on Deck 9 because their balconies are larger. 

3.  Thus, from the deck plans, we can see that NCL has carved out into their own categories what it perceives to be the most desirable aft- and forward-facing Penthouses. With these changes, people are of course speculating that there will be price differences among the new categories, and perhaps even differences in suite amenities, perhaps the elimination of butler and concierge service for some of these suites.  I've done a couple of random mock bookings after the changeover dates to see what NCL's web site says now.  No need for speculation, these mock bookings show actual price differences and differences in suite perks:

Random Mock Booking 1: Gem 11-day Southern Caribbean from NY, departing January 3, 2021.  Right now, the price of an SD (the two middle forward-facing Penthouses on Deck 10) is $50 pp more than it is for the SFs (the other forward-facing Penthouses on Deck 10 and 9).  Both categories are described as having "butler and concierge service."   Likewise, the price of the SM aft-facing Penthouses (the ones on Deck 10) are $50 pp more than the SN aft-facing Penthouses on Decks 8 and 9.   But there is a difference in the suite amenities; the SMs are shown as having "butler and concierge service," whereas, for the SNs, NCL's web page says: "butler and concierge service in most."   Since there's been no official NCL statement about this that anyone has reported, it does not seem to be known, at least as a matter of fact, which of the SN Penthouses will not have butler and/or concierge service.   Maybe this language gives NCL leeway to keep those services going forward, or not, as it finalizes those plans (at least for this cruise).

Random Mock Booking 2: Jewel 7-day Western Caribbean from Tampa, departing April 4, 2021.  Right now, the price of an SD is $100 pp more than for the SFs.  Both categories have this very odd statement about butler service (I say "odd" because neither category is a Haven suite):  "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath with shower, living and dining areas, sleeps up to four. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."     Back in the stern, the price of the SMs is $100 pp more than for an SN.   The description of services for the SM says: "Butler and concierge, bedroom with queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."  For the SN, the description reads: "Queen-size bed or two beds that convert to a queen, luxury bath, living and dining area in some, sleeps up to three. Most include Butler and concierge service. NOTE: NO BUTLER SERVICE, SOME WITH CONCIERGE."  (It would seem that, on this cruise at least, NCL may intend not to provide butler service for any of the four Penthouse suite categories.)

I imagine that more mock bookings would show similar differences, some of them equally vague.  For anyone booking one of these suites after the changeover date, I would advise taking a screen shot of the description of your suite amenities, and also calling your TA (if you book with one) or NCL to find out as much as possible about what amenities you will or will not receive.

I hope this information is helpful, and I would encourage others to post any facts they may discover about NCL's plans for these Penthouse suites.

Edited by CC Help Michell
edited a typo at OP's request
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Random Mock Booking 1: Gem 11-day Southern Caribbean from NY, departing January 3, 2020

Judith:

Thanks for putting in the work to try to help us figure out what's going to happen. Unfortunately it sounds like the wording on the website about butler and concierge services is too vague to have an sense of certainty about whether a particular category will have none, one or both. Words like "most" and "some" really don't shed as much light on the situation as they should.

FYI...in the above mock booking I'm sure you meant to type "2021", not 2020.

Paul

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Judith:

Thanks for putting in the work to try to help us figure out what's going to happen. Unfortunately it sounds like the wording on the website about butler and concierge services is too vague to have an sense of certainty about whether a particular category will have none, one or both. Words like "most" and "some" really don't shed as much light on the situation as they should.

Paul

Thanks Paul -- I agree, some of that NCL language is terribly vague.  I wonder what NCL is telling people who call to ask.  It's not a great situation for those who want to book.

And yes, a typo on mock booking number 1 above, thanks for catching it!   (I am a terrific proofreader, just not of my own stuff!  🤣)    That was of course Jan. 3, 2021.

Judith

This is great information and something to keep watching.  I am booked in a deck 10 PH on the Gem for April 2021 and took your advice and made a screenshot of what is offered, meaning butler and concierge.  If they take those perks away I will just change my cabin.....

So hmmmmmmm...what suite amenities will the new suites have if not butler/consierge service? Only breakfast and lunch at Cagney’s? Priority check-in. 

Personally I wouldn’t pay a premium to travel in these suites if indeed they were not with the suite amenities. It’s like they are making them some kind of ”deluxe mini suite” with a lot of room and some very basic extra amenities (check-in + breakfast/lunch at Cagney’s). 

If they don’t include butler service they won’t include full room service either I presume. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

And yes, a typo on mock booking number 1 above, thanks for catching it!   (I am a terrific proofreader, just not of my own stuff!  🤣)    That was of course Jan. 3, 2021.

The moderators were kind enough to make the correction for me in the date.  Thank you, mods!  And Paul, thanks again for catching it!

It's interesting to do mock bookings and see all the variables that NCL has introduced into the mix of which of the four new categories of Penthouses will or won't get a combination of butler and concierge services after the changeover date for the respective Jewel-class ships.   

Besides the two mock bookings I described in my OP above, here's Random Mock Booking #3:  the Christmas/New Year's Eve 14-night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Pearl, departing on December 21, 2020.  The two forward-facing SD suites on Deck 10 are now priced at $200 pp more than the newly-named forward-facing SF suites on Decks 9 and 10.  Both the SD and SF categories say they have "butler and concierge service."  Moving to the stern, the aft-facing SM suites on Deck 10 are priced at $200 pp more than the aft-facing SN suites on Deck 8 and 9.  The SM category is described as having "butler and concierge," but the SN says "butler and concierge service in select cabins." [Emphasis added.]   (For fun, I chose a couple of the SN staterooms, but nothing more specific came up in terms of whether it was one that received butler and concierge service.  Obviously, if you have an interest in booking this category, you should be sure that you check into this thoroughly with your TA or NCL.)

Not wanting the Jade to feel neglected, here's Random Mock Booking #4: this is a13-night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Jade departing on Feb. 1, 2021.   For this cruise, the forward-facing SD suites on Deck 10 are showing as sold out. In terms of the amenities for the SDs, the description says: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath with shower, living and dining areas, sleeps up to four. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."   The forward-facing SFs are available, and are described as: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."  In the stern, the aft-facing SMs on Deck 10 are priced at $200 pp more than the SNs.  The SM description says: "Butler and concierge, bedroom with queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."   The description for the SNs says: "Queen-size bed or two beds that convert to a queen, luxury bath, living and dining area in some, sleeps up to three. Most include Butler and concierge service. NOTE: NO BUTLER SERVICE, SOME WITH CONCIERGE."   [Editorial comment from me: what TERRIBLE editing of the web page.  If there is NO butler service, delete the text that says "most include butler...service"!!]

In sum, to repeat my advice above, if you are booking one of the newly-categorized Penthouse suites that is described by NCL AS having butler and/or concierge services, be sure to get a screen shot of that description.    And be careful booking any of these categories without learning more (if NCL even knows at this point!).

Edited by Turtles06

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It's interesting to do mock bookings and see all the variables that NCL has introduced into the mix of which of the four new categories of Penthouses will or won't get a combination of butler and concierge services after the changeover date for the respective Jewel-class ships.   

Besides the two mock bookings I described in my OP above, here's Random Mock Booking #3:  the Christmas/New Year's Eve 14-night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Pearl, departing on December 21, 2020.  The two forward-facing SD suites on Deck 10 are now priced at $200 pp more than the newly-named forward-facing SF suites on Decks 9 and 10.  Both the SD and SF categories say they have "butler and concierge service."  Moving to the stern, the aft-facing SM suites on Deck 10 are priced at $200 pp more than the aft-facing SN suites on Deck 8 and 9.  The SM category is described as having "butler and concierge," but the SN says "butler and concierge service in select cabins." [Emphasis added.]   (For fun, I chose a couple of the SN staterooms, but nothing more specific came up in terms of whether it was one that received butler and concierge service.  Obviously, if you have an interest in booking this category, you should be sure that you check into this thoroughly with your TA or NCL.)

Not wanting the Jade to feel neglected, here's Random Mock Booking #4: this is a13-night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Jade departing on Feb. 1, 2021.   For this cruise, the forward-facing SD suites on Deck 10 are showing as sold out. In terms of the amenities for the SDs, the description says: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath with shower, living and dining areas, sleeps up to four. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."   The forward-facing SFs are available, and are described as: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."  In the stern, the aft-facing SMs on Deck 10 are priced at $200 pp more than the SNs.  The SM description says: "Butler and concierge, bedroom with queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS."   The description for the SNs says: "Queen-size bed or two beds that convert to a queen, luxury bath, living and dining area in some, sleeps up to three. Most include Butler and concierge service. NOTE: NO BUTLER SERVICE, SOME WITH CONCIERGE."   [Editorial comment from me: what TERRIBLE editing of the web page.  If there is NO butler service, delete the text that says "most include butler...service"!!]

In sum, to repeat my advice above, if you are booking one of the newly-categorized Penthouse suites that is described by NCL AS having butler and/or concierge services, be sure to get a screen shot of that description.    And be careful booking any of these categories without learning more (if NCL even knows at this point!).

No rhyme or reason to the descriptions.....Maybe depending on your latitudes level whether you have perks or not....Who knows

I think this language "The forward-facing SFs are available, and are described as: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS.""

Is contradictory - they are non-Haven suites, listed as having butler/concierge, but then "butler service only listed for havens" makes me think they exclude it.

My experience calling NCL for info is very mixed, I've been misinformed multiple times, for example:

• butler & concierge are part of DSC, no tip required (2018)
  • Jade has a private bar IN the Haven - no, I don't see it on the deck plan but I know it is there

I personally wouldn't rely on what NCL says, only what I see in writing that is clear, and the above isn't.  Hopefully they will figure this out and update their website accordingly--and the confirmations will be clear as well.

I am very interested in how the now-SF, soon-to-be SN category (Deck 9 Aft) is handled in terms of butler service after the switch-over.  That category contains the only 2 handicapped-accessible suites on the ship (there are NO accessible Haven cabins on Jewel-class ships.)  IF butler service is eliminated, there will be NO option for disabled folks to have butler service on a Jewel-class ship (and I'd obviously never be able to book one again. 😢)  I am holding on to hope that the "butler service in SELECT cabins" means they will preserve it for the accessible cabins.

34 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I think this language "The forward-facing SFs are available, and are described as: "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath, living and dining area, sleeps up to three. NOTE: BUTLER SERVICE ONLY LISTED FOR HAVENS.""

Is contradictory - they are non-Haven suites, listed as having butler/concierge, but then "butler service only listed for havens" makes me think they exclude it.

I agree. As I pointed out in my OP, these aren't Haven suites, so the description makes little sense.  Another poor web site editing job.  

26 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I am very interested in how the now-SF, soon-to-be SN category (Deck 9 Aft) is handled in terms of butler service after the switch-over.  That category contains the only 2 handicapped-accessible suites on the ship (there are NO accessible Haven cabins on Jewel-class ships.)  IF butler service is eliminated, there will be NO option for disabled folks to have butler service on a Jewel-class ship (and I'd obviously never be able to book one again. 😢)  I am holding on to hope that the "butler service in SELECT cabins" means they will preserve it for the accessible cabins.

I hope so too.  If they are going to keep butler service on any of the SN suites, those should be the ones.  (I worry, though, that some folks who do not need accessible cabins would book them; indeed, some people who don't need them book them even now.  🙁)

I just booked a Dec 2020 Gem cruise Aft suite SM. My reservation states that butler service is included. I did notice on the top of the "Suite" cabin listing, in faint letters,  was printed "before Oct 30, 2020" and "after Oct 30, 2020". When I clicked on the "after" it broke deck 8/9 from deck 10.  Deck 10 suites were listed as 'butler service included' but deck 8/9 suites were listed as 'some service'.  I booked this cruise thru the current promotion and speculate that at some forward point, only the 'after' option will show.  Anyone booking deck 8/9 suites last minute probably will not get butler service. Maybe that's why it's listed as 'some service'.

Does anyone know why NCL is doing this?  Four months ago on the Dawn, I heard crew gossip that butlers where complaining about the distance to these cabins as 'out of the way'.  Haven decks on the Gem are forward 14/15.  Depending upon the # of butlers servicing "Haven/Suite" guests, to travel down to rear deck 8/9 could pose an issue for help.  This may also be a way to cut back on staff or re-distribute help.

Look for the 'before" and 'after' option on the top of the 'suite' cabin listing.  I will be very upset if they eliminate my butler service.

38 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

I just booked a Dec 2020 Gem cruise Aft suite SM. My reservation states that butler service is included. I did notice on the top of the "Suite" cabin listing, in faint letters,  was printed "before Oct 30, 2020" and "after Oct 30, 2020". When I clicked on the "after" it broke deck 8/9 from deck 10.  Deck 10 suites were listed as 'butler service included' but deck 8/9 suites were listed as 'some service'.  I booked this cruise thru the current promotion and speculate that at some forward point, only the 'after' option will show.  Anyone booking deck 8/9 suites last minute probably will not get butler service. Maybe that's why it's listed as 'some service'.

Does anyone know why NCL is doing this?  Four months ago on the Dawn, I heard crew gossip that butlers where complaining about the distance to these cabins as 'out of the way'.  Haven decks on the Gem are forward 14/15.  Depending upon the # of butlers servicing "Haven/Suite" guests, to travel down to rear deck 8/9 could pose an issue for help.  This may also be a way to cut back on staff or re-distribute help.

Look for the 'before" and 'after' option on the top of the 'suite' cabin listing.  I will be very upset if they eliminate my butler service.

This information is consistent with what I set out in my first post above.  October 30, 2020 is the date on which the Gem's Penthouse suites (now SF and SE) will be divided up into the four new categories.  Cruises on the Gem departing before that date still have the current SF/SE Penthouse categories.  Those departing after October 30, 2020 have the four new categories of Penthouse suites.  The only relevance of the "after" date is to when the cruise departs (not whether someone books at the "last minute.")  

As for why NCL is doing this... Probably why most for-profit businesses make changes.  To make more money.   🤣  If you look at the mock bookings I set out above, you'll see that NCL is charging more for the new forward-facing SD suites than the new SFs, and more for the aft-facing SMs than the SNs.   And, if NCL does eliminate some butler and/or concierge services, that will likely be a money saver.   

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

This information is consistent with what I set out in my first post above.  October 30, 2020 is the date on which the Gem's Penthouse suites (now SF and SE) will be divided up into the four new categories.  Cruises on the Gem departing before that date still have the current SF/SE Penthouse categories.  Those departing after October 30, 2020 have the four new categories of Penthouse suites.  The only relevance of the "after" date is to when the cruise departs (not whether someone books at the "last minute.")  

I disagree with your statement that this change takes affect for cruises sailing after Oct 30, 2020.  My cruise sails Dec, 2020 which is about 30 days after that date so your theory about 'after' doesn't apply. 

42 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

I disagree with your statement that this change takes affect for cruises sailing after Oct 30, 2020.  My cruise sails Dec, 2020 which is about 30 days after that date so your theory about 'after' doesn't apply. 

I don't understand your confusion.  Your booking of an SM Penthouse suite for a cruise on the Gem in Dec. 2020, which is a cruise "departing after" Oct. 30, 2020, confirms what I reported.  Take a look at the Gem's deck plans for Deck 10 (screen shots below).  To see the cabin categories, you have to toggle between cruises "Departing before Oct. 30, 2020" and cruises "Departing on or after Oct. 30, 2020."  For cruises departing before Oct. 30, 2020, the SM Penthouse suite category does not exist.   All of the aft-facing Penthouse suites, including the ones on Deck 10 as well as on Decks 8 and 9, are shown as SF suites (the current classification), all called "Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony."  (Top image.)  

It is only for cruises "Departing on or after Oct. 30, 2020" that the new SM category of Penthouse suites on Deck 10 exists, called "Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony."  (Middle image.)  Going to the deck plan for Deck 9 for cruises "departing on or after Oct. 30, 2020" shows the new category of SN Penthouse suites on Decks 8 and 9, now called "Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony."  (Bottom image.) 

As the Gem's deck plans and your own booking confirm, the changes in the Penthouse suite categories take effect for cruises "departing on or after Oct. 30, 2020." 

enhance

enhance

enhance

15 hours ago, erdoran said:

My experience calling NCL for info is very mixed, I've been misinformed multiple times, for example:

• butler & concierge are part of DSC, no tip required (2018)
  • Jade has a private bar IN the Haven - no, I don't see it on the deck plan but I know it is there

I personally wouldn't rely on what NCL says, only what I see in writing that is clear, and the above isn't.  Hopefully they will figure this out and update their website accordingly--and the confirmations will be clear as well.

Where is the bar in Haven on Jade, never heard of that?

Thanks Turtles for putting this together.

For those asking why, likely for increased revenue.

As far as butler service, who knows.  I do know we've been told on some ships the butler pantry is in one area so some aft rooms are a bit of a hike.

Technically, based on quality of some butlers or concierges, they could use the language about "some service" now.

Edited by dexddd

20 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Thanks Turtles for putting this together.

For those asking why, likely for increased revenue.

Thank you.

As for the "why," I agree.   I said the same above -- cruise lines are for-profit businesses.  When they make changes, it is typically to make more money.  The mock bookings I reported above in fact show that NCL is asking more for SDs than SFs, and more for SMs than SNs.  And, if they do cut back on butler and/or concierge services, that will likely save money.

I understand your point. The difference between SN and SM is only $50. which is not much of a savings for NCL, plus whatever the cost of afternoon snacks might be.

Someone in SN who needs room service, will likely have to pony up $7.95 for delivery.

I don't use room service except for my morning coffee. I have booked Haven only cabins but lately the prices have run away and Suites are a nice second choice.

51 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

I understand your point. The difference between SN and SM is only $50. which is not much of a savings for NCL, plus whatever the cost of afternoon snacks might be.

That’s $50 pp, which I agree is not huge. But that price difference was the smallest I found in the four random bookings I reported above. For two of those four, the difference was $200 pp, and a third was $100 pp.

58 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Someone in SN who needs room service, will likely have to pony up $7.95 for delivery.

Room service is the LEAST the SN category will be missing if NCL removes butler service from that category.  If no butler, I would imagine that removes personalized snack delivery, in-room dining and extended room service menu just from a food perspective, but it would also remove any additional assistance provided by the butler (e.g. packing/unpacking assistance and other butler services which I frequently utilize.)  It would be a huge deal for me.

I have been following the deck plan changes for awhile now  - thank you turtles06 for doing mock bookings and confirming some of our suspicions. Like most I really enjoy the deck 10 aft suites and being spoiled by the butler and the large deck. Not sure if I would want to pay more for them.

To add to the speculation could it be that NCL is getting ready to have a Concierge class on the Jewel class ships like the Joy. BTW the Joy is also seeing changes in the fall of 2020 - they don't seem to be as noticeable as the ones on the Jewel class.

While the details on this class are slim it appears they get breakfast and lunch in Modernaro and use of the Concierge - but no butler.

I agree that the forward suites are further from the haven than the aft ones - and of course the lower decks are even further.

This is also not typical NCL as they usually spring all of these changes on us last minute - this time they gave us warning of the approaching storm - just not how strong it is.

19 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

I don't use room service except for my morning coffee. I have booked Haven only cabins but lately the prices have run away and Suites are a nice second choice.

I don't see it as a savings for them, I see is they now charge more for a room.  Take just the deck 10 OS on Jewel and Dawn class.  Say $50 more times two rooms times six ships.  Say all seven day cruises, times 52 weeks.  Don't have calculator handy but that adds up.

19 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Room service is the LEAST the SN category will be missing if NCL removes butler service from that category.  If no butler, I would imagine that removes personalized snack delivery, in-room dining and extended room service menu just from a food perspective, but it would also remove any additional assistance provided by the butler (e.g. packing/unpacking assistance and other butler services which I frequently utilize.)  It would be a huge deal for me.

Why can't you pack and unpack your own suitcase?