FYI on Havana Rooms

Eli_6

Because people keep responding to my post below telling me they are booking Havana area because they don't want kids around I thought I would alert y'all to this issue because there seems to be confusion that the Havana area is kid free. It's not.

The pool area until 5 pm IS free of kids...but so is Serenity. However, the ROOM area is NOT kid free.  If that is why you are booking those rooms, you might want to reconsider.  

I have booked a total of 4 different cruises in the HAVANA area and stayed in the Havana area.  For example, Floors 6 and 7 of the Vista, the premium balcony rooms next to the "Havana" rooms AND the inside rooms across the hall are NOT Havana rooms and they are NOT adult only.  The carpet changes and there *may* be a door that is kept open (can not remember) but otherwise there really is not anything different between the Havana rooms on those floors and the non Havana rooms as viewed from the hallways.

If you want to ensure there is not a kid across the hall or next door, you want to book the Havana Cabana rooms on floor 5.  BUT those are not true balcony rooms.  They have a porch area open to a PUBLIC walkway and anyone can walk by at any time.  With that said, I don't know why they would be walking by during the day unless they are going to the Havana Club...but I personally don't book these rooms because I like the aft facing view anyway. I don't know as I have not stayed in them, but theoretically, people could walk by at night going to the Havana area. Because when the club area opens at night, people will have somewhere to go then. (This is only an issue on Vista class ships and not on the Mardis Gras because on Mardis Gras the Havana pool area is not located at the back of the ship like on the Vista class.)

Also, during my last cruise, the only area that was for Havana rooms only was the havana pool area and outside bar area until 5. BUT the inside club areaw was still open to the public and, at times, they even had it reserved for events. On one day in the middle of the day, they had a family reunion in the Havana Bar/Club area and I ended up walking through there in my bikini and towel and felt quite stupid as all the people in the family reunion were staring at me like "Who is this weirdo in her swimsuit when we are all dressed up?"

I have booked the Mardis Gras Havana, too, and its' layout is different so much of what I am saying doesn't apply to the Mardis Gras.  BUT I also have read the Mardis Gras does not have a jacuzzi in the Havana area. That seems crazy to me so we will see...

Also, in talking with other people in the Havana area, everyone on my last cruise got 4 bracelets in their room even though there was only 2 people in the room. Thus, be prepared other people may give away their bracelets.  We did not because we did not have anyone to give them to. Nor were we told we could not give them away. I am pretty sure some people did. So, if that is offensive to you, you probably don't want to book the HAVANA room because there may be people in there who didn't pay as much as you do for their room. (Although, admittedly, this seems strange anyway because the Corner Havana Balcony and some of the Grand Suites are two or three times as much as an interior Havana rooms anyway so...)

And there was NOT on our cruise a special "Havana" sticker on our room card/key. The only sticker I have was for my VIFP level. A friend went on Vista on the last cruise before it dry docked and stayed in the Havana area and she did not have one either.   Maybe they do this on the ship out of California...or maybe they used to do it. I don't know. Just telling you my experience.  

With all of that said, the Havana pool area was NEVER busy during the day.  There were many times my husband and I went down and no one was there at all. I posted pics on Insta and Facebook and people thought I was on a private yacht because literally I was the only person in the area with my drink and book at one point. Someone in a review said there was only one bartender. Again, I feel like most of the time a bartender and at least one waitress... usually two.  

Also, be aware, if you do like we do and get a corner or aft facing Havana balcony, EVERY ONE can see you who is in the HAVANA pool area when you are on your balcony. I found out the hard way.  Only exception is the premium Havana balcony on the side of the ship in the Vista class ships.

With all of that said: I LOVE the Havana area and I strongly suspect you will, too, and I doubt any of you will at any point think "Why did I pay extra for this?" I do personally prefer the balconies on floor 7 even though (gasp) there are non-Havana rooms nearby. 

I have only gone on one carnival Cruise where we didn't stay in a Havana room (we stayed in a suite) and it was a different experience. It was fun because we were with a group of over 30 people on that one, but if it had just been my husband and I, I don't think we would have enjoyed it. IMO, having the Havana area makes the cruise and I have started exclusively cruising Carnival just because of the Havana area having cruised NCL, Royal Caribbean, etc. before. (NCL has something similar but it's about $5k per person per room and hubs doesn't like NCL anyway because he got violently ill on one and ended up flying out of Mexico midcruise.) 

As for noise, I read one review where people in the room 6 aft facing balconies above the Havana Club complained of noise. Because of that, I have always tried to get floor 7 (two floors above the club) and have not had a problem. They seem to "go" faster.  On my next cruise in December, all  aft and corner Havana balconies are booked and on floor 7 and all but two are open on floor 6 so I have to think there is something to it.  

This is all just for your information and hope it answers any questions. Not meant to provoke debate.

17 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

They have a porch area open to a PUBLIC walkway and anyone can walk by at any time.  With that said, I don't know why they would be walking by during the day unless they are going to the Havana Club

When i was on the vista 3 years ago, that section on deck 5 was blocked off with a wall. Only the people with Havana cabanas had access to that walk way. Is it possible to access that walkway from the Havana pool area too but you will need Havana access 

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

When i was on the vista 3 years ago, that section on deck 5 was blocked off with a wall. Only the people with Havana cabanas had access to that walk way. Is it possible to access that walkway from the Havana pool area too but you will need Havana access 

That may be the case still. I have never stayed on Deck 5. I just know some other people said people were walking by their room, but maybe it was other Havana people. 

But people can see you on your Havana Balcony, too, so none of it is actually private... And there are cameras, too.  

It didn't occur to me that I could be seen and literally was about to walk out and take off my swimsuit and leave it to dry on the balcony and my husband was like 😳. They can see you below from the hot tub!!!

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It is my understanding the Havana area and staterooms is 12+. 

Yes, you need to be 12+ to be booked in a Havana cabin and the exclusivity is until 700 PM each evening.  At that time I will be either be enjoying dinner or a concoction at the Alchemy Bar so it does not matter to me that there may be kids in the area then.

• Like 1

The Havana Cabana walk area only has access from the pool area.  The only people going by the Cabana's are other guests in the Cabana area.  Yes, people above the cabana's can see down but there is also space in the cabana that they can not see down.  If you want to sit naked then the Cabana's are not for you.  If you want to pay a premium and not have a packed bar and pool area with no little kids screaming this is for you. I love the concept.

Things may be different in summer when families travel and it's daylight longer, but on our Horizon cruise, the only people walking by our lanai were the folks in the 3 cabins on the other side of us and that wasn't often. Plus everyone was friendly.  The cabin next door had a young teen son with them.  Zero issues.  I only saw 1 non- Havana deck couple with 2 small children ever using the pool after 7 PM and they weren't there longer than 1/2 hour.  

So yes, if you think the Havana deck (or the Serenity deck) are supposed to be personal, private fiefdoms for your cruise, think again.  If you want reasonable quiet and enjoy meeting people and having conversations without the Lido speakers blasting away.  Consider a Havana cabin on deck 5 for Vista or Horizon.  But hold off on any Havana cabin for the Mardi Gras as that configuration is totally different.  Need to see some "live" pictures and reviews to get a real sense, IMO.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Things may be different in summer when families travel and it's daylight longer, but on our Horizon cruise, the only people walking by our lanai were the folks in the 3 cabins on the other side of us and that wasn't often. Plus everyone was friendly.  The cabin next door had a young teen son with them.  Zero issues.  I only saw 1 non- Havana deck couple with 2 small children ever using the pool after 7 PM and they weren't there longer than 1/2 hour.  

So yes, if you think the Havana deck (or the Serenity deck) are supposed to be personal, private fiefdoms for your cruise, think again.  If you want reasonable quiet and enjoy meeting people and having conversations without the Lido speakers blasting away.  Consider a Havana cabin on deck 5 for Vista or Horizon.  But hold off on any Havana cabin for the Mardi Gras as that configuration is totally different.  Need to see some "live" pictures and reviews to get a real sense, IMO.

Lol at fiefdom.  

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It is my understanding the Havana area and staterooms is 12+. 

The Havana Pool area is 12+ during the day but on Decks 6 and 7 of the Vista Class, there are non Havana rooms in the same area so people can have kids in this area. There is nothing cutting off access. There is no door or guard. I know because I have stayed in the Havana corner Vista balcony on the Vista on floor 7 and currently have my children booked in one of these nearby rooms for a later sailing.  

My only point is that if you are thinking you are getting a completely kid free zone like the poster in my other post who didn't want to deal with "rugrats" or the one who said she was trying to escape "obnoxious teenagers" at the pool and that is your primary reason for booking the Havana room, you probably want to reconsider. Obnoxious teenagers may still be in the Havana area even during the day. They may even be in a Havana room.  And a crying baby may be across the hall from you or next door to your Havana room on floor 6 or 7. 

But, overall, it is quieter. It's less busy.  It's great. 

Here is the deck plan. The aft, corner Vista and some of the premium balconies are Havana rooms.  Those inside rooms and balcony side rooms are NOT Havana rooms.  Children can stay in those rooms regardless of age.  To the best of my memory, I don't recall a door restricting access. If there was one, it was never closed. Just a change in the color of carpet. So NO, the Havana room area and hallway is not "adults only." I called Carnival to ask if my under 12 children would be "barred" from entering my Havana stateroom and they answered with a clear no, they would not be barred.  

So, again, it's quieter and more exclusive. It's not a private fiefdom completely free of children.  

Screenshot_20190726-135413.png

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Is it 5pm or 7pm? I've read both on here. 

I think it depends on the sailing. That's what cruise critic says.

Honestly, I was at dinner at this time or getting ready for dinner so I didn't pay attention. 

IMG_20190726_142927.jpg

This was where I got it from. Gives a review of a deck 5 cabin.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2628

Link doesn't seem to be working. :/

Honestly, I never noticed it being particularly busy even after it was open to the public. Someone in one of the reviews I read before I booked the first time (not sure if on here or on trip advisor or somewhere else) said that their neighbor in the adjoining cabana kept stealing their cushions and apparently stole something off their patio and that loud teens were walking by their outside porch late at night so that is part of what prompted me to go for a balcony room. But that may have been a spring break cruise or something.  When I went in October, it was completely calm. No kids. No teens. No rowdy folks. Very few folks at all. I am a little more worried about Christmas when I go again.

15 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I think it depends on the sailing. That's what cruise critic says.

Honestly, I was at dinner at this time or getting ready for dinner so I didn't pay attention. 

IMG_20190726_142927.jpg

that info is incorrect it is 7pm

• 8 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, Eli_6 said:

Because people keep responding to my post below telling me they are booking Havana area because they don't want kids around I thought I would alert y'all to this issue because there seems to be confusion that the Havana area is kid free.It's not.

Thank you so much for your post and everyone for responses. I am confused if I book a Havana cabin my daughter (12) would not be able to sit at the pool to read/lounge with me during the day? Thank you

3 hours ago, THIS IS US! said:

Thank you so much for your post and everyone for responses. I am confused if I book a Havana cabin my daughter (12) would not be able to sit at the pool to read/lounge with me during the day? Thank you

You're OK.  You need to be 12+ in order to stay in a Havana cabin and have access to the Havana area.  People of all ages originally were allowed in the Havana area after 500 pm when it debuted on the Vista and was subsequently changed to 700 pm.  A few months ago it was changed again to only allow those staying in a Havana area cabin to have access all of the time.  Had a Havana inside cabin on 2 different  Horizon sailings in August of 2018 and 2019.  Best concept Carnival has come up with since the Alchemy  Bar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THIS IS US! said:

12 and up is find anywhere.  The issue is that kids under 12 can not be booked in a Havana room. However, it doesn't say they can not go in a Havana room or walk down the hallway.  They are prohibited from going in the pool area if they are under 12, though.   

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

12 and up is find anywhere.  The issue is that kids under 12 can not be booked in a Havana room. However, it doesn't say they can not go in a Havana room or walk down the hallway.  They are prohibited from going in the pool area if they are under 12, though.   

...and can only go if they are booked in a Havana room

We loved the Havana area.  We stayed in a Cabana and like others had said the only ones walking by our cabana was our neighbors.  The pathway is blocked by a door that you need your cabana key to open.  Also, we only receive 2 wrist bands in our room.  

7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Thanks I appreciate you clarifying for me. I am going to check with my agent about switching for our cruise next year: