Cancellation Protection Policies changes

Tampa Girl

I was attempting to locate the prices of the CPP policies on HAL'S website, and could only find this:  "Call Reservations to find out your price."  So, I did.  I was informed that HAL has just changed insurance underwriters and things have changed.  According to this rep, the price would depend upon when you book the cruise.  Whatever that means because she didn't correlate it to anything.  In any event, to get the lower price you have to have booked by June 13th, depending on when you booked the cruise.  Therefore, I was instructed to call my TA.  When I complained that HAL had not notified anyone of this change, she informed me that a mass mailing re the June 13th deadline had gone out to all TA's and, besides, it is on HAL's website.  If it is, I have not found it.

I called my TA, who said she had never received any such notification.  She then called HAL, who quoted her a price which is about $50 more than what I remembered seeing online when we booked in March, 2019.  The point of this post, therefore, best to confirm immediately after booking, what the price will be and if it really does increase the closer it becomes to sail time.  My feeling is that the rep really didn't know what she was talking about.

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m going to go looking and do a dummy booking.  I have a note from what it was when I did my original booking.

Much appreciated.

For years, we purchased HAL Platinum.  On this last cruise, PCC informed me of their insurance price, which I thought was too high.  I shopped various plans, found one that offered so much more than the Platinum for $50 less.  I plan on doing the same thing for the cruises we currently have booked.

From your experience, this roll-out doesn't sound as though HAL planned it well.  Are you going to buy the new insurance or go with a different insurance company?  When I used a TA, she always offered several plans, which were similar.  Her motto was: Buy the trip from the cruise line; purchase the insurance elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

For years, we purchased HAL Platinum.  On this last cruise, PCC informed me of their insurance price, which I thought was too high.  I shopped various plans, found one that offered so much more than the Platinum for $50 less.  I plan on doing the same thing for the cruises we currently have booked.

From your experience, this roll-out doesn't sound as though HAL planned it well.  Are you going to buy the new insurance or go with a different insurance company?  When I used a TA, she always offered several plans, which were similar.  Her motto was: Buy the trip from the cruise line; purchase the insurance elsewhere.

We don't have a choice.  We booked in March and are well beyond the waiver for pre-existing exclusions.  Further, our cruise is to SA/Antarctica so we needed med-evac coverage. We could buy travel insurance for the latter but lose the pre-existing waiver.  HAL gives us both.  So we buy it plus the MedJet evac insurance.  I don't think that HAL'a evac coverage of $50,000 will cover us for this trip.  The two policies are costing us $400 more than if we had purchased the travel insurance within 21 days of booking.  However, we may have cancelled prior to final payment, and have unnecessarily paid $1,200.  And that is what makes the HAL policy, which we can take out at final payment worthwhile.

I will be curious to hear what others may have been told by the  reps:  Are we going to be penalized for not buying a CPP policy until final payment?

I always     buy travel insurance but never HAL's cancellation,  I want real insurance Not, merely cancellation.  I want   good medical etc.

But t hank you for the heads up.   reading this thread, likely will help many cruisers.

• Like 1