Dubonnet?

chemmo

53 minutes ago, mafig said:

I wonder, too.  I remember Dubonnet (red or blonde?) from years (and years) ago.

I used to like Lillet, too.😃

Like you I hadn’t thought about Dubonnet (red) for years and then we watched a programme on ‘Britannia’....We bought a bottle in and I loved the mix! Not too strong, not fizzy, just a really tasty pre dinner drink....

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Like you I hadn’t thought about Dubonnet (red) for years and then we watched a programme on ‘Britannia’....We bought a bottle in and I loved the mix! Not too strong, not fizzy, just a really tasty pre dinner drink....

Did you try it with the gin?

You're allowed to take 2 bottles of wine aboard... Why not take two Dubonnets instead? It's much cheaper than a good wine and so X should be pleased that you're more likely to spend more in a bar / dining room.

I used to drink it with bitter lemon ---lots of ice too. Haven't had it in donkey's years.

1 hour ago, crazyman3 said:

You're allowed to take 2 bottles of wine aboard... Why not take two Dubonnets instead? It's much cheaper than a good wine and so X should be pleased that you're more likely to spend more in a bar / dining room.

I used to drink it with bitter lemon ---lots of ice too. Haven't had it in donkey's years.

I think this may be our plan....We will have a premium drinks package on Equinox so if it was on board it would save us carrying on additional drinks. We are spending villa time in Florida prior to our cruise so we will start searching if Walmart stocks Dubonnet or if not which other outlets do!

Seriously, I have managed over 60 years without a ‘Queen Mother’ so I can survive a cruise with a premium package without...I just wondered if anyone had ever found it on board.

Wow  --  I have not experienced Dubonnet nor Lillet.  However, after looking them both up - I do believe I would enjoy them...  On my next trip to Anchorage, I'll check to see if I can source them 🙂 

I had enjoyed an occasional Dubonnet with ice (and sadly probably sprite) years ago. It wasn’t until I tried it with the ice, lemon and shot of gin that I really enjoyed.

I really am not a big drinker but this combination just has that lovely blend of taste, strength and refreshment. The Queen Mother lived to over one hundred and the Queen (also a fan of this drink) is also heading in that direction too...

Perhaps we could argue it should be on board for health reasons....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We are spending villa time in Florida prior to our cruise so we will start searching if Walmart stocks Dubonnet or if not which other outlets do!

Look for a store called Total Wine and More.  🍷

8 minutes ago, Tomato53 said:

Look for a store called Total Wine and More.  🍷

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other drink recommendations for our pre-cruise stay?

I don't drink Dubonnet much any more but I have always found it hit or miss as to whether you can find it any of the bars on board.  The last time I ordered it on Celebrity (3 years ago?) it tasted so vile I thought that the the waiter had brought the wrong drink; he brought me the bottle to show me. In any case, I couldn't drink it and I put that down to the bottle going "stale" since it wasn't a popular beverage and had been sitting around too long. Maybe I am wrong about that; I don't know enough about this to say for sure. I don't order it any more. 

11 minutes ago, afto said:

I don't drink Dubonnet much any more but I have always found it hit or miss as to whether you can find it any of the bars on board.  The last time I ordered it on Celebrity (3 years ago?) it tasted so vile I thought that the the waiter had brought the wrong drink; he brought me the bottle to show me. In any case, I couldn't drink it and I put that down to the bottle going "stale" since it wasn't a popular beverage and had been sitting around too long. Maybe I am wrong about that; I don't know enough about this to say for sure. I don't order it any more. 

Thanks afto...If you have managed to order on Celebrity perhaps they do have a bottle or two on board although if it is ‘past it sell by date’ I may give it a miss too!

We will have access to the retreat lounge so the staff there may be able to source...

31 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I had enjoyed an occasional Dubonnet with ice (and sadly probably sprite) years ago. It wasn’t until I tried it with the ice, lemon and shot of gin that I really enjoyed.

I really am not a big drinker but this combination just has that lovely blend of taste, strength and refreshment. The Queen Mother lived to over one hundred and the Queen (also a fan of this drink) is also heading in that direction too...

Perhaps we could argue it should be on board for health reasons....

Perhaps you're right. 😉

Quinine is good for you. 😊

Dubonnet was first sold in 1846 by Joseph Dubonnet, in response to a competition run by the French Government to find a way of persuading French Foreign Legionnaires in North Africa to drink quinine. ... Dubonnet is commonly mixed with lemonade or bitter lemon, and forms part of many cocktails.

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Thanks afto...If you have managed to order on Celebrity perhaps they do have a bottle or two on board although if it is ‘past it sell by date’ I may give it a miss too!

We will have access to the retreat lounge so the staff there may be able to source...

Or if you’re in an upper suite, ask the concierge to stock some for you prior to boarding.

11 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Perhaps you're right. 😉

Quinine is good for you. 😊

Dubonnet was first sold in 1846 by Joseph Dubonnet, in response to a competition run by the French Government to find a way of persuading French Foreign Legionnaires in North Africa to drink quinine. ... Dubonnet is commonly mixed with lemonade or bitter lemon, and forms part of many cocktails.

I knew it was good for my health.....I just didn’t know why! I will head to Waitrose now tomorrow for another bottle without feeling guilty!

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Or if you’re in an upper suite, ask the concierge to stock some for you prior to boarding.

Good idea, we are in a RS so will ask the shoreside concierge...I don’t particularly want it as an in suite option, more as a Retreat Lounge pre dinner drink.

If they don’t have any on board perhaps we can bring our own bottle on board and then leave labelled for mixing in the lounge...Has anyone ever brought their own preferred tipple on board and handed it over for personal consumption in a specific lounge?

Genuinely no worries, we have enjoyed lots of cruises now without ‘Queen Mothers’...I will just have to resort to my usual pre dinner tipples...It is such a hard life cruising....

13 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I knew it was good for my health.....I just didn’t know why! I will head to Waitrose now tomorrow for another bottle without feeling guilty!

I think there may be some truth to your suggestion that the consumption of Dubonnet may have contributed to good health and longevity when it comes to the royal family, but then it could be that they just have great genes. 😁

Edited by C-Dragons

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

I think there may be some truth to your suggestion that the consumption of Dubonnet may contribute to good health and longevity when it comes to the royal family, but then it could be that they just have great genes. 😁

Mmmm,

I can’t claim close gene relationship but definitely share their taste!

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

Wow  --  I have not experienced Dubonnet nor Lillet.  However, after looking them both up - I do believe I would enjoy them...  On my next trip to Anchorage, I'll check to see if I can source them 🙂 

Isn’t it nice to share drink suggestions on CC?

At least in your location you will not have a problem accessing ice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazyman3 said:

stephen

Do you think X would notice it isn't wine but fortified? 

42 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Isn’t it nice to share drink suggestions on CC?

At least in your location you will not have a problem accessing ice!

True - very true...

Although we did have a week in the 90's (F)...