Dubonnet?

chemmo

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

We are spending villa time in Florida prior to our cruise so we will start searching if Walmart stocks Dubonnet or if not which other outlets do!

2 hours ago, Tomato53 said:

Look for a store called Total Wine and More.  🍷

Also while in FL check out ABC stores (there's 123 of their stores in FL, so it's hard to miss them LOL) - yum, Dubonnet on the rocks with a twist, baby :classic_love: 

https://www.abcfws.com/about-us

https://www.abcfws.com/product/286505

We drank Dubonnet and Bitter Lemon in our teens when visiting Dartmoor.  Lovely memories.  Too bad I've developed an allergy to Gin.

As to the quality of old bottles of aperitifs, I find my red vermouth goes quickly, so never a worry, but the white vermouth gets used so sparingly in my Vodka Martinis that eventually, I have to dump down the drain. To increase my Vodka consumption to the level necessary to avoid this would leave me catatonic 24 hours a day.

6 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Also while in FL check out ABC stores (there's 123 of their stores in FL, so it's hard to miss them LOL) - yum, Dubonnet on the rocks with a twist, baby :classic_love: 

https://www.abcfws.com/about-us

https://www.abcfws.com/product/286505

Thanks for that, we know where a couple of those ABC stores are....I love the fact they ask for ID to confirm your age despite the grey hair...

8 hours ago, groryjm said:

stephen

Do you think X would notice it isn't wine but fortified? 

Interesting point...We have taken champagne on board without issue. I wouldn’t have thought they would bother about fortified wine, especially as we will probably only take one bottle onboard and we have a premium package. Perhaps something else to check with the shoreside concierge...

29 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Hi we use ABC wine stores in Florida and I just googled Dubonnet on their website $13.99 + tax seems a bargain. Use the find a store on website to see if there is one near your holiday villa

Liz

Thanks for that! There are a couple of ABC stores near the villa...As the rain is presently battering on the windows I am imagining sipping a leisurely Queen Mother by the pool....Only about 6 weeks to go!

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for that, we know where a couple of those ABC stores are....I love the fact they ask for ID to confirm your age despite the grey hair...

The poor Walmart employee couldn't understand why I burst out laughing when she asked my wife for ID when buying alcohol there. She was 35 at the time. Their 'Challenge 40' stickers always make me smile. We'll be back in FL in eight days which also makes me smile... :) 

3 hours ago, Mynki said:

The poor Walmart employee couldn't understand why I burst out laughing when she asked my wife for ID when buying alcohol there. She was 35 at the time. Their 'Challenge 40' stickers always make me smile. We'll be back in FL in eight days which also makes me smile... 🙂

I hope you were gentlemanly enough to tell you wife you were not surprised that they needed to see her ID....

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic Florida holiday and I assume cruise?

A few more weeks for us yet...

On 7/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, Tomato53 said:

Look for a store called Total Wine and More.  🍷

Total Wine in Sarasota Florida stocks Dubonnet (Red) in both 750 ml and 1 l.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:50 PM, crazyman3 said:

You're allowed to take 2 bottles of wine aboard... Why not take two Dubonnets instead? It's much cheaper than a good wine and so X should be pleased that you're more likely to spend more in a bar / dining room.

I used to drink it with bitter lemon ---lots of ice too. Haven't had it in donkey's years.

Since Dubonnet is a fortified wine, it may not qualify. Does brandy, also a fortified wine, qualify?

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

I hope you were gentlemanly enough to tell you wife you were not surprised that they needed to see her ID....

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic Florida holiday and I assume cruise?

A few more weeks for us yet...

Thanks

Of course. The checkout girl did say something along the lines of they get a lot of Brits there who are always bemused when asked for ID. 

Not this time. We did a British Isles cruise in June and are doing the Med in October, both with Celebrity. So a three and a bit week land vacation. A couple of days in Miami then I'll be hiring boats in the Keys (Islamorada) and in 10,000 islands national park as off fishing. Our son is with us this time so also doing the parks and the villa thing too.  :) 

Have a great trip too. The Floridean land stay / cruise combo works really well on all levels. 

Edited by Mynki

9 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Since Dubonnet is a fortified wine, it may not qualify. Does brandy, also a fortified wine, qualify?

It is but I would be amazed if anyone checked. Technically Celebrity state you can bring on "wine" so in theory there should be no issue. 

Edited by Mynki

We will ask the shoreside concierge to confirm. It would be just our luck sailing in a RS with bar set up and premium drinks package to ‘get caught’ with an unauthorised bottle on boarding!!! I don’t know what would upset me more saying goodbye to my Dubonnet or the embarrassment of being stopped! 

20 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Have a great trip too. The Floridean land stay / cruise combo works really well on all levels. 

Yes....After paying for flights across the pond we have enjoyed so many holiday types over the years...The uniqueness of the Keys, wonderful laid back gulf beach hotels to say nothing for the theme parks, wildlife and space station! 

Have a fantastic time...

Brandy isn't a fortified wine,  it is distilled form wine or in the case of Cognac Champagne. Wine is usually between 11 and 15% by volume Dubonet is 14.8% by vol in the UK where as brandy along with other spirits is usually between 35 and 45% by volume so quite different

37 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We will ask the shoreside concierge to confirm. It would be just our luck sailing in a RS with bar set up and premium drinks package to ‘get caught’ with an unauthorised bottle on boarding!!! I don’t know what would upset me more saying goodbye to my Dubonnet or the embarrassment of being stopped! 

Very interested to here the reply so we too don't 'get caught"

7 minutes ago, groryjm said:

Brandy isn't a fortified wine,  it is distilled form wine or in the case of Cognac Champagne. Wine is usually between 11 and 15% by volume Dubonet is 14.8% by vol in the UK where as brandy along with other spirits is usually between 35 and 45% by volume so quite different

Random fact:

The French made dubonet is 14.8%  

The dubonet that Chemmo will be buying in the US will be 19%. I don't think that should be an issue bringing it on board though. 

But it in the unlikely event of Shoreside concierge mentioning the alcoholic strength she could always buy some here? 

Edited by Mynki

On 7/29/2019 at 4:38 AM, groryjm said:

Sorry, you are correct. In fact brandy is often added to other wines to "fortify" them.

My Grandmother was the only person I have known that drank Dubonnet. She had one or two every night ( OK sometimes three) for as long as I remember. There was a half glass left on her bedside table the night she passed in her sleep.  I'm sue she finished it later with the big guy. 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

My Grandmother was the only person I have known that drank Dubonnet. She had one or two every night ( OK sometimes three) for as long as I remember. There was a half glass left on her bedside table the night she passed in her sleep.  I'm sue she finished it later with the big guy. 😉 

Looking at how fit the Queen is (also a Dubonnet fan) these elderly ladies obviously know something...

• Like 1