Wear bathing suit onto ship?

frosts

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

My son regularly travels to Vietnam for the Department of Commerce - the officials with which he meets tend to call it Saigon.

I just figured that HCMC represents something that most people don't want to be reminded of.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Um, the correct, official name is Ho Chi Minh City, and has been since 1976. Saigon is still used by local Vietnamese, mostly because it's faster to say.

Sorry, OP for dragging this off topic

I have been to both places and enjoyed it. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

OT but a funny coincidence.  In the last couple of days when someone was looking for restaurants I pointed out that absolutely NO ONE (well, maybe some government functionary!) calls it that.  It's SAIGON 🙂

It is definitely called Ho Chi Mi City here (Australia), we have a large Vietnamese immigrant population here and there are many references in shop names and such, rather than Saigon.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is definitely called Ho Chi Mi City here (Australia), we have a large Vietnamese immigrant population here and there are many references in shop names and such, rather than Saigon.

Interesting in light of navybankerteacher's reply about his son doing business there.  And when we were there, never heard anything other than Saigon. I wonder if more from the North than the South immigrated and if that would have anything to do with it.  I have a friend whose family immigrated during the war.  I'll have to ask her.

6 hours ago, clo said:

OT but a funny coincidence.  In the last couple of days when someone was looking for restaurants I pointed out that absolutely NO ONE (well, maybe some government functionary!) calls it that.  It's SAIGON 🙂

Huge amounts of refugees as well. I think it is more of a US /Australian thing. They are a near neighbour and huge trading partner.

16 hours ago, clo said:

I try to be correct.

But yes, everyone in the city still calls it Saigon.

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Huge amounts of refugees as well. I think it is more of a US /Australian thing. They are a near neighbour and huge trading partner.

Funny that Australians will say HCMC, but people IN the city say Saigon. 😄

I just missed the chance to visit Saigon (when it was officially Saigon), as no one was drafted my year.

I have been twice for work since then, and really enjoy the city.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:28 PM, Aquahound said:

Pardon me while my slack-jaw'd mass market self thinks out loud.....but how does one get from their room to the pool on a luxury line if bathing suits "are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue?" :classic_huh:

Of course going from the cabin to the pool in a cover-up is fine.  

On 9/14/2019 at 9:59 PM, clo said:

LOL.  You'll sit on a toilet seat but you don't want to change clothes?  Huh?  Doesn't affect us cause we don't even bring bathing suits.

Stalls are tiny and trying to change is very inconvenient.  I don't sit on a toilet seat unless there's something covering it.  The average women's public restroom seat has e coli, blood, and any number of other things I don't want touching my skin on it.  To change it typically requires stepping out of clothing and I absolutely don't want my bare feet on the floor of a public rest room!